The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Makes no difference to me. I don't care how recently or long ago it happened - losing 6-0 at home to anyone is shameful.

Of course it is. It's incredibly shameful. Thats why it doesn't happen often and why witnessing such a shameful result matters. 

16 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I'd disagree with much of that, Tony, but that wasn't really my point. Be critical of Remi, by all means. You're wrong of course, but hey, you're used to that anyway ;) 

My observation was rather that last week, rightly or wrongly, Remi seemed to be the poster boy for our collective resistance to the people who are really responsible for our predicament, and that one albeit appalling result really shouldn't influence people's views too much in the grand scheme of things.

It seems pretty obvious, to me at least anyway, that there would be a very tiny number of individual people flipping from one extreme to the other in the manner you seem to be suggesting, maybe I'm wrong but I would be very surprised. Of course when there has been a positive result the more positive posters will be greater in number as there viewpoint has been validated so that will be the general atmosphere and vice versa, like today. You first post just seems like Like bait to me in suggesting its fickleness dictating the tone rather than attributing it to a forum containing a huge number of people of differing opinions, although perhaps I'm wide of the mark here. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but as it stands he has taken us backwards from Lambert , McLeish and even Tim and thus rightly deserves all the critisism aimed his way ... 

Another way of looking at it is that every Manager we have had in the last 6yrs has had a worse squad than his predecessor, due to selling our best players and replacing them with cheap tat. 

Its not the managers getting worse, it's the players. And that's down to the tossers running the club, not the managers trying to battle against the tide. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Another way of looking at it is that every Manager we have had in the last 6yrs has had a worse squad than his predecessor, due to selling our best players and replacing them with cheap tat. 

Its not the managers getting worse, it's the players. And that's down to the tossers running the club, not the managers trying to battle against the tide. 

Yeah I don't think the managers are getting worse. But they don't get free pass IMO. Sherwood and Lambert were rightly judged on their results and it should be no different with Garde. 

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Last week it was all Remi Garde's Claret and Blue Army, petitions and whatnot. Does the collective mood of VT change this radically with one result or is it that people only post when results match their own predispositions? 

I don't think this is fair mate is it. We won last week and some praised the manager, some didn't. I doubt many if any signed that petition based on the back of one result and I doubt many today will be deciding Remi is not the man for the job based simply on losing to Liverpool.

I can only speak for myself but last week I praised Garde as I felt he did well to pick up the players and get them to put a real shift in after we lost against West Ham. Today I have criticised him as I felt we set up way too deep, stood off Liverpool and started the game at completely the wrong tempo.

You can't judge a manager on anything like just one result though can you which is why I have maintained I will reserve judgement on whether I think Remi is the right man going forward until the end of the season. Despite being really pleased last week I didn't even consider for a second signing the petition as I don't feel I have seen enough of Remi to put my faith in him.

As things stand he has overseen 15 league games. We have won 2. We have been battered twice in the league, once in the cup. Based on that it would take a big leap of faith at this stage to say Remi was the right man gong forward. If I look at his record prior to joining us then he had managed for three seasons in a different country, he had no experience of managing in the Prem League and no experience of managing a team in a relegation battle. To think he was the right man to get us out of trouble, based on his CV, required a certain amount of blind faith. Next season he would go into it with no experience of managing in the Championship and no experience of trying to get a club promoted. Again based on his CV it would take a decent amount of blind faith to think he was the right man to bring us back up. I like Remi but based on what he has done since he has been here and what his CV tells me I am not prepared to, at this stage, say I want him here, or not, next season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I don't think the managers are getting worse. But they don't get free pass IMO. Sherwood and Lambert were rightly judged on their results and it should be no different with Garde. 

Of course but there are more mitigating factors with Garde (at the moment).

This isn't his team and it's a team lacking depth, ravaged by injuries and devoid of quality.

If he leaves at the end of the season it'll be no blot on his CV, because people in football know what an embarrassing shambles we are. You can't judge him on this crap.

The players gave up today and Remi didn't sign a single one of them.

I would like him to stay and to give him a chance to rebuild this club.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

It seems pretty obvious, to me at least anyway, that there would be a very tiny number of individual people flipping from one extreme to the other in the manner you seem to be suggesting, maybe I'm wrong but I would be very surprised. Of course when there has been a positive result the more positive posters will be greater in number as there viewpoint has been validated so that will be the general atmosphere and vice versa, like today. You first post just seems like Like bait to me in suggesting its fickleness dictating the tone rather than attributing it to a forum containing a huge number of people of differing opinions, although perhaps I'm wide of the mark here. 

Well, you are :) 

Like bait? C'mon, dude. 

5 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

This isn't his team and it's a team lacking depth, ravaged by injuries and devoid of quality.

If he leaves at the end of the season it'll be no blot on his CV, because people in football know what an embarrassing shambles we are. You can't judge him on this crap.

Sherwood didn't sign any of the shit last season and he was able to get a response. And he's a shocking manager. 

It's not worth a free pass IMO. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Totally disagree 

he organises the team he give the team shape MOTIVATES INSPIRES and attempt to play to their strengths.

ive got nothing against him he seems a very nice gentleman But we need a manager who can inspire a team to battle fight for each other no matter what!

we can not play our way out of this trouble or play the way he wants us to play out of the Championship . 

I like him but even with the crap above him he is not good enough to move us forward. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

That's a tad unfair on the valid opinions  people have been putting forward  and those that didn't think we were going to win the title after stumbling to a victory over Norwich

i had doubts at his appointment but have given him the benefit of the doubt , he's inherited a mess after all ... I've also suggests we get someone and stick by them regardless of the relegation and let them rebuild the club.

but I like some others are questioning IF he can rebuild this club , i'd have expected much more from him by now than what he has actually delivered ... The French players don't seem to be pulling up trees for him and the old guard aren't doing anything for him at all , you can't really say any one player has progressed under Remi even Ayew already started to show what he had with his cameo v Blues 

if he's allowed to bin 15 players in the summer and make his mark on the club bringing some quality in then maybe he wil prove us wrong but as it stands he has taken us backwards from Lambert , McLeish and even Tim and thus rightly deserves all the critisism aimed his way ... Win the next 5 and maybe I'll be one of the fickle brigade changing my mind , but somehow I think I'm safe 

Vertout, Okore, Ayew, Lescott all seemed to improve a little under Garde. The rest went backwards or stayed terrible.

If all players had remained fit and willing I think we could have avoided relgation, sadly by the time the new signings acclimatised the players already here had checked out.

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think this is fair mate is it. We won last week and some praised the manager, some didn't. I doubt many if any signed that petition based on the back of one result and I doubt many today will be deciding Remi is not the man for the job based simply on losing to Liverpool.

I can only speak for myself but last week I praised Garde as I felt he did well to pick up the players and get them to put a real shift in after we lost against West Ham. Today I have criticised him as I felt we set up way too deep, stood off Liverpool and started the game at completely the wrong tempo.

You can't judge a manager on anything like just one result though can you which is why I have maintained I will reserve judgement on whether I think Remi is the right man going forward until the end of the season. Despite being really pleased last week I didn't even consider for a second signing the petition as I don't feel I have seen enough of Remi to put my faith in him.

As things stand he has overseen 15 league games. We have won 2. We have been battered twice in the league, once in the cup. Based on that it would take a big leap of faith at this stage to say Remi was the right man gong forward. If I look at his record prior to joining us then he had managed for three seasons in a different country, he had no experience of managing in the Prem League and no experience of managing a team in a relegation battle. To think he was the right man to get us out of trouble, based on his CV, required a certain amount of blind faith. Next season he would go into it with no experience of managing in the Championship and no experience of trying to get a club promoted. Again based on his CV it would take a decent amount of blind faith to think he was the right man to bring us back up. I like Remi but based on what he has done since he has been here and what his CV tells me I am not prepared to, at this stage, say I want him here, or not, next season.

You're right, in as much as that it wouldn't be fair if I were adressing the fair number of individuals who have been more or less consistent in their views, yourself included. 

It's the general mood swings of this forum that fascinate me, and perhaps frustrate me a little too. Collectively, we give the appearance of lacking a little conviction.

Just now, Michelsen said:

You're right, in as much as that it wouldn't be fair if I were adressing the fair number of individuals who have been more or less consistent in their views, yourself included. 

It's the general mood swings of this forum that fascinate me, and perhaps frustrate me a little too. Collectively, we give the appearance of lacking a little conviction.

I don't see many people showing major mood swings.  I know the posters who have faith in Garde, I know the posters that don't have faith and the ones who are happy to wait till the summer. I don't see many people changing their opinions completely week to week. 

For me, jury out on Garde last week, but tilted towards him. Jury out on Garde this week, but tilted away. Based on everything as a whole, plus each most recent performance, just as I hope the Board would do. 

I would say though it's irrelevant, the Board-Hollis won't be reviewing him in this way. They will keep him - have said so- if he accepts their " money won't solve it " narrative. As he has already indicated he won't, he will go.

Regardless of how hard it was to watch just how awful we were today (Klopp even felt sorry for us - which whilst a nice touch from him is perhaps the worst thing a visiting manager can do when you think about it) I still back Garde. Just as much as over the last few weeks when he had us mid table in the form table. Today was a mish mash of all the things that are wrong concentrated together in 90 minutes of shambolic football. Individual errors, lack of quality, lack of squad depth, inability to follow instructions, lack of movement... all things that Garde has been trying to address (with some success till today to be fair) without any kind of backing from the board in Jan. So all the same personnel that dropped us in the shite in the first place. 

Whilst you can say Garde should be judged on results like all the rest, first give Garde a level playing field of at least one window to address the horror show squad he's inherited. Then perhaps we can judge him on a level footing with the recent managers.

• Like 3

Â