The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think he fits the 'corporate profile' to be honest Dem . . . if I had to bet, it'll be somebody totally underwhelming like Ronny Deila. 

But remember when they wanted to get McClaren the fans protested and then they didnt interview him. fan power can be very important with appointing managers

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I really dislike this guy but I think if Remi leaves we need to get Pearson in. My main person I would go for is Rowett but he wont come now. But I think Pearson is the kind of manager who wont take crap like this and isnt afraid to blast losers if they are not performing. 

He was my choice. I think he would be the fit.

He is more likely to find gems than some of the other managers and unfortunately we have failed to illustrate in the past that we can buy well with money...I.e Bent , N zombie etc.

He is more likely to do a Saunders IMO

ps it's not a case of liking them, it's a case of them doing the job......Saunders was not exactly Mr Personality......but so what.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Gary Rowett would crawl on broken glass to come and fix this club.  FACT

If thats the case then if Remi walks he should be our number one priority. Look at what he has done for blose and they were probabaly as bad as us

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I concur, I also felt this game re minded me of Wembley.

standing off always makes the opposition look good.....it's fine for them to say, we were playing against a good side.

They are all good if we let them be.

No one in their right would suggest that ability wise we are anywhere near as good as Liverpool. In fact ability wise we are worse than 80% of the sides in this league. We didn't lose yesterday though just due to a lack of ability we lost due to a lack of desire. We didn't want it, we didn't fancy it and it was like we were going through the motions and had accepted we would lose before the game kicked off.

I still maintain that despite this being a poor squad it isn't any worse than Norwich, Bournemouth, Sunderland, West Brom etc. It isn't 16 points from 26 games bad. The reason we have been that poor isn't simply down to a lack of ability it is down to poor management in how we have been set up and approached games and down to an all too frequent lack of desire not from just one or two individuals but from pretty much the whole squad.

It seems to me we have a squad of players that are either seeing us as an easy pay day or came in with the attitude of seeing us a stepping stone to better things. A number of them can’t wait to be out of here over the summer or know that the club will want rid of them. We will be battered a few more times before this season is over as the players will now just go through the motions as they did yesterday.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

When/if any of these other managers turn up for the job interview.What are we going to say as their job discription ?

We can promise you a team of average players,no backing from the board,no money to spend  and no interest from the owner.

I can see a que of prospective managers fighting over this job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It was like this ,way before Remi Garde arrived and it was like this way before Sherwood arrived.......it's been like this for years.

The only blip for the good was Benteke, he papered over the cracks.

its so simple but its so true, Benteke is the reason we are not in League 1 now

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But remember when they wanted to get McClaren the fans protested and then they didnt interview him. fan power can be very important with appointing managers

and we got McLeish instead who the fans didnt want even more

• Like 1

Ahhh Monsieur Garde, the charlatan masquerading as a Premier League manager. Totally unsuited for the role and what was and is needed. Tactically all over the place with little idea of how and when to change things. It's not about strength of the bench, it's about the nous to see where things are not working and get the players to adapt. Some people still have faith in him, then again some had faith in Lambert, which just goes to show that typically once fans are wearing the Claret and Blue glasses (obstinate style for the 2016 season), they cannot see the man's shortcomings. There is a body of 'ladies' on Twitter who call themselves - Team Remi - its actually quite funny to see the pants dampening tweets they post on there, claiming that the FrenchMan is in some way a god and bereft of any scrutiny. We all know that Lerner, Fox and those that filled that position before are very culpable, but the reality around Garde is that he is awful, a terrible appointment for the what is needed at AVFC. For someone as old as myself who witnessed the abyss we are looking into before, the desire for another Graham Taylor is about all we have left to cling to.

So for Remi Garde as they say in France ' au revoir'

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I still think he is the French McLeish except he cant organise a defence. We are playing some putrid football at the moment

Mark Bunn has kept 3 clean sheets in 6 PL games.  We've been hammered 6-0 by Liverpool and 4-0 by Everton, yet have still conceded less goals than our 3 main relegation rivals.

"Can't organise a defence".  **** brilliant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Mark Bunn has kept 3 clean sheets in 6 PL games.  We've been hammered 6-0 by Liverpool and 4-0 by Everton, yet have still conceded less goals than our 3 main relegation rivals.

If that doesn't indicate player attitude I don't know what does.

Its like any time they concede in the first 15 mins they just go "**** it" and give up for the remainder of the game, we'll try again next Saturday.

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

4 against City, 3 against Sunderland and Southampton really should have put 6 past us before Christmas as well plus the shambles at Norwich and home to Arsenal

I don't understand - tactically, he's done pretty well.  He's dropped players where necessary and picked teams and formations that, on the whole, I (and most fans it seems?) agree with.  We've had our best run of home form for years under him (which is a lol in itself) and, even against Liverpool, we looked OK before they scored.  He simply hasn't had any support from the board, though.  Ayew getting suspended has harmed us, but you put a good striker in this side and we'd look like having a chance of surviving.

I'm fairly sure his loss ratio is actually decent compared to our previous run of managers, in a team which is worse than the previous have had to deal with.  Sherwood was entirely the wrong manager, but given a good striker, he managed to keep us up.  Take that element away, and we looked absolutely doomed.  The opportunity arose in January to address this - the club failed miserably.  Nothing to address the unbalance in the squad and the lack of firepower up top.

This isn't a "charlatan masquerading as a Premier League manager", it's a club masquerading as a Premier League club.

Nice post, but the issue for me isn't a striker and it hasn't been for well over a decade. Ayew would score if he was given chances. We do not create chances.

We haven't bought an above-average creative midfielder since before O'Neill. We had a very good side under O'Neill but we would've made the top four if he had been less concerned about buying average English fringe players that never played and bought a really good CAM. When Ashley Young moved to CAM we scored 15 goals in 3 games.

This has to be the focus. Boro have Downing and thus create. The reason West Ham and Leicester have kicked on so much is due to purchasing/nurturing a really top creative player.

There are always options out there. Last season I wrote to the club telling them to get Keko from Albacete (on a free). Didn't get a response, he signed for Eibar, has been unbelievable and now Atletico want to buy him back. We could do a lot worse than getting Roberto Torres in from Osasuna or Machis in from Huesca (reason I'm suggesting these players is because my job used to be analysing Segunda and they are all cheap as chips because the clubs have no money). These players would be great in the Championship.

The striker is important but think about how many one-on-ones Gabby used to miss. We still used to be good and he still scored goals. Now think how many one-on-ones any of our strikers actually get.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

4 against City, 3 against Sunderland and Southampton really should have put 6 past us before Christmas as well plus the shambles at Norwich and home to Arsenal

I don't really understand your point here - you've just listed random amounts of goals conceded and then shoved in something that didn't happen (Southampton scored once).

Overall, our defence has been OK.  Not great, obviously (we're bottom of the league and playing with Mark Bunn as first choice goalkeeper), but Garde has shown he can organise it.

Now, if players want to go ahead and make huge individual errors...

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He will walk after the backing he received in the January window. 

Is there any point in him being here then?

He is building nothing for next season, no plans being made as to who stays and who goes, no identifying of targets.

Surely by being this bad the only positive is we can get plans in place earlier than anyone else.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

we just have no options to change things for the better. I don't follow things outside the first team closely enough to know if there is any offensive minded players in the youth set up worth giving a go , but I don't see what else he can do with the senior personal? We were crying out for a change yesterday after about 20 minutes to help retain the ball up front, but the only option available was Sinclair. Given that option I too would of stuck with gabby. I am ashamed to admit when Rudy's hamstring went I was perversely releived as I thought at least that now guarantees the purchase of a new striker, how wrong I was.  I don't think we can blame remi, the squad is just terribly poor. My opinion of him is that he is that he is a technical football manager and with that you need footballers. If we were going to rely on attitude and getting an extra 15-20 percent out of the squad through their relationship with the gaffer we should of stuck with Sherwood. At the time i thought Sherwood should have gone before he did, but with no investment in January, in hindsight we may have been a few points better off with him. Unfortunately remi is increasingly looking like the right man at the wrong time in my opinion. Fwiw I would stick with him as long term I think he'll create a legacy that will change the club for the better

Edited by JP1982

Â