Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

Strange that we are expected to 'write off' results against so called Big 6 teams ? OK no problem - however, the fact remains that against Newcastle and half of the Norwich game, we were **** dire with a capital D. Our defence hasn't improved one iota, we still look lightweight in midfield and with Benteke out, not sure where our threat will come from ?

Other than that, everything's rosy....

• Like 1

I don't get the whole defense hasn't improved thing.Is the defense perfect? No, but we've given up far less goals and looked more competent compared to the same fixtures last year. It's the very definition of improvement.

6 goals through 5 games, 3 of which were arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea. FFS folks.

I don't think we could survive months without Benteke personally.

Apart from the poor display against Newcastle, the defence has been much tighter this season. Apart from a penalty which wasn't and the last minute Guzan save, Norwich didn't really create a huge amount did they? Neither did Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool when we played them so o.k we're still conceding goals but surely you need to credit some of them for stepping up their game like Clark who I've been critical of.

Last night was disappointing but remember we lost league cup games to Leicester and QPR at home in MON seasons and ironically we went on very good league runs after those games.

No disrespect but that's the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read.

I've said we'd struggle badly if Benteke was actually injured for 3-4 months rather than weeks. Given how negative you are, you obviously agree with this opinion.

I'm pretty sure if you look back at the stats you'll see Chelsea only had I think 4 shots on target and Liverpool only 1 in the games. Norwich had what 3 shots on target at the weekend? Surely if we're that bad defensively then teams would be having 8-10 strikes at goal like last season given we've been playing a few teams with 100ms worth of strikeforce playing?

I repeat, given we've won 2/3 away games, do you think we're magically now going to go and lose all our remaining away games this season?

Strange that we are expected to 'write off' results against so called Big 6 teams ? OK no problem - however, the fact remains that against Newcastle and half of the Norwich game, we were **** dire with a capital D. Our defence hasn't improved one iota, we still look lightweight in midfield and with Benteke out, not sure where our threat will come from ?

Other than that, everything's rosy....

The facts are there!

Last season West Ham finished comfortably mid table and were never in any relegation danger whatsoever, think they lost something ridiculous like 13 away games only won 2 so won 10 points away from home all season.

But they were pretty decent at home.

So I think that could be something like that for us but in reverse. Shite home form but above average away form for mid table.

How many away wins do people think we'll get. I reckon 7 or 8 personally and with a couple of draws that wouldn't be far off 30 points. We would have to be really bad at Villa Park to be in any sort of relegation danger.

I don't get the whole defense hasn't improved thing.Is the defense perfect? No, but we've given up far less goals and looked more competent compared to the same fixtures last year. It's the very definition of improvement.

6 goals through 5 games, 3 of which were arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea. FFS folks.

Have people so quickly forgotten the days when we seemed to concede a goal every time there was a cross or corner last season? Although there have been some poor individual performances this season, more the full backs than the central defenders, we are defending much better as a unit than last season. Edited by poitier

I'm talking about the fact we're hugely reliant on Benteke. He's in my estimation half our team in levels of importance and contribution. While the player who could have saved out defence is out for the season.

I just don't want fans turning on the team when our form dips while Benteke is injured.

But we got the 3  points at Norwich (A team who only lost twice at home in 2013 .. And those two were against us) almost without Benteke .. It's not that I'm understemating Benteke's contribution ..  Actually I were one of those who was saying that even 30m might not sort us if Benteke goes ..

Another thing is that people are keeping forgetting that we're missing Gabby and Delph .. also Weimann and Westwood (tbf those are much easier to play without than the previous two) .. People also forgot that our hero Guzan was rested ..

Put it this way .. Our important players :

1-Benteke , Guzan ..

2-Gabby , Delph ..

Those are hardly replacable ..

3-Westwood , Vlaar , Weimann ..

4-Clark , Lowton , Luna , KEA ..

If we didn't play the important 4 .. We're as good as done in a game ! Unless if someone else step up ..

Imagine Man Utd without Van Persie , Rooney , Carrick And you could choose their best 4th player !

Not every team has a squad as Spurs , City and Chelsea !!

6 goals through 5 games, 4 of which were arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea. FFS folks.

Fixed

I agree also. Only 9 teams have conceded less than us at the moment. We have also conceded the same amount as Man U at this stage. I think the defence has improved slightly...just wish we could stop conceding at home.

Edited by Tayls

Not getting the over reactions on this thread. Taking the Spurs game out of the equation, we have had a decent start considering the fixtures. Look at the league table, if someone would have offered us being 1pt behind Man United after 5 games we'd have snapped the arm off.

I'm not worried even without Benteke for a few games. I think Kozak will do a decent enough job with Gabby supporting him. Talk about relegation this early is plain ridiculous.

We need to start picking up some points at home against the top 6 and taking all 3 against everyone else. At the moment these teams are looking forward to coming down to villa park

At home we need to b playing 4231 with the 2 holding midfielders holding their position and not being dragged all over the place this will allow the front 4 to go and win the games