Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

You've posted that 4 times. We get it. Shouting something over and over doesn't make it correct. We're not in reception here. 

It's also been replied to directly numerous times. 

Stop misquoting and making things up then. Your hatred for Tonev is disgusting.

So dodgyknees is making the cardinal sin of writing off ALL but one (Okore) of our new signings.

Hope we can quote you at the end of the season and make you look a fool. 

I didn't write them all off. I said the defensive problem was looked at.

I have said plenty of times, go read through, it takes time - maybe 6 months - for the players to be judged.

Retract that statement.

Dodgyknees said!

Not only was there a lack of players who could come in and change the issues we had (Okore being the only one) the manager was denied the chance to make the changes to stop us having the issues we had 12 MONTHS AGO and even before that.

We cannot break teams down.

We are static in midfield.

There are no goals from midfield.

We have a distinct lack of width.

We are defensively naive.

ONE of those was looked at and changed. ONE.

Yet the lack of width wasn't looked at although we bought a winger? So unless you're writing Tonev off (which you implicitly stated you aren't) then we did address our lack of width. Right?  :detect:

Funny because HH has said he has not come in to start straight away.

But he is starting and he is a winger.

So, we bought him to play at some point, but are forced to play him as we have no other options. 

Something to do with a lack of width I guess.

A squad assembled by Lambert it should be pointed out. Surviving another relegation battle this season would mean he is doing a poor job and failed to advance us in his two years here and with circa £40m spent.

He's spending less than most of the other teams in the prem, so basically unless he overachieves financially he's done a poor job?

A mid-table finish without being involved in a relegation battle for most of the season constitutes 'overachieving'?

If you say so...

I think this thread is akin to the transfer speculation thread that is initially opened on a supposed link to a player but then closed when it appears that there is no actual foundation in it & then only re-opened again once something more concrete develops.

No offence dodgyknees but I really think this is far too premature so "Go to it Mods" & put the majority of us out of our misery at least if only for now.

• Like 1

If anything this thread would've been more relevant before the season even started. With the opening fixtures we had it was certainly possible that we could've been on 0 points after 3 games with a sizable negative goal difference. After 6 games (so after the City game) we could've been on as little as 1 or 2 points. Now obviously that would've been unfairly writing us off but isn't that exactly what some people are doing right now? We made it through those first 5 fixtures with 6 points and a neutral goal difference which for me was a very solid start.

• Like 2

If anything this thread would've been more relevant before the season even started. With the opening fixtures we had it was certainly possible that we could've been on 0 points after 3 games with a sizable negative goal difference. After 6 games (so after the City game) we could've been on as little as 1 or 2 points. Now obviously that would've been unfairly writing us off but isn't that exactly what some people are doing right now? We made it through those first 5 fixtures with 6 points and a neutral goal difference which for me was a very solid start.

Exactly, anyone who wouldn't have taken 13th after 5 games having played Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool would be nuts.

• Like 1

Genuinely believe the thread is valid especially with Benteke out for 2 months. Seriously in the next 6 PL games without him how many goals will we score ? 3 ?

We play city, hull, spurs and Everton potentially before he's back, three of these are home games if I'm correct. I'll go with 6 goals.

Exactly, anyone who wouldn't have taken 13th after 5 games having played Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool would be nuts.

or very deluded

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum would have taken 6 points with a 0 goal difference from our opening 5 fixtures if offered at the start of season. Nor should be be surprised if City beat us by a couple of goals this weekend as not only do they have a much stronger team but they seem to be in good form and confidence will be high after beating Man utd so comprehensively.

After Benteke is due back we have about 6 very winnable games in a row. If we aren't picking up points there then this thread will be very relevant but at the moment we are playing alright and our new players are getting accustomed to the league. Far too early to panic.

I do finding it funny seeing some of the people on here shouting down any worry of relegation. Some of them did exactly the same last year and were 100% wrong.

For the record I don't think we'll have to worry about it as much this year but I can understand why some are still concerned.

Genuinely believe the thread is valid especially with Benteke out for 2 months. Seriously in the next 6 PL games without him how many goals will we score ? 3 ?

We play city, hull, spurs and Everton potentially before he's back, three of these are home games if I'm correct. I'll go with 6 goals.

Do you realise that all 4 of those teams are above us ?!

That's hardly relevant after 5 games, particularly given that 3 of ours were against strong top 6 sides (and arguably we should've gotten at least 2 more points from those 3 games)

I do finding it funny seeing some of the people on here shouting down any worry of relegation. Some of them did exactly the same last year and were 100% wrong.

For the record I don't think we'll have to worry about it as much this year but I can understand why some are still concerned.

It's even funnier when you consider those same people who don't want the thread to exist, and even if they admit its actually relevant, don't want others to be posting in it, continue to post in it pushing it to the top of the forum again.

Perhaps they are bored of bully Con or something.

Nobody is "shouting down" any worry of relegation. I haven't seen anyone say we definitely won't be in danger of relegation this season. What's annoyed people is the timing of this thread because right now we don't look like we'll be fighting relegation all season. Even more bizarre is that this thread was made off the back of a League Cup game when our most recent league game was a win and a clean sheet.

Edited by Mantis

You do realise out of the 5 games we have played in the league 4 of them finished above us, so don't know what point you are trying to make.

Ah shit sorry I forgot that it isn't possible to score goals against teams placed higher in the league, silly me!

• Like 2