Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

Lose our next three games (entirely possible) and this thread is justified.

All ifs and buts. It hasn't happened yet and might not happen at all.

Agree, which is why I don't believe this thread is justified at this moment in time. Edited by Isa

Seems to me as if people are just looking for excuses for this thread to be valid. I'm starting to wonder if some people want it to be valid as well.

Genuinely believe the thread is valid especially with Benteke out for 2 months. Seriously in the next 6 PL games without him how many goals will we score ? 3 ?

So in other words you've basically just written us off for however long Benteke is out? Thank God the players didn't do that on Saturday.

Also, he could be out for as little as 4 weeks.

is this earlier than last year's?

Last years was started on the opening day of the season after losing to west ham I think
And that proved to be a correct call too. Valid, thread is valid.

The fact that that thread proved to be valid has no bearing on the validity of this thread, which right now isn't really valid at all. It's a bit like saying the race for 4th thread that was made at the start of the 10/11 season was valid because the same thread made the season before was valid.

Edited by Mantis

Seems to me as if people are just looking for excuses for this thread to be valid. I'm starting to wonder if some people want it to be valid as well.

Genuinely believe the thread is valid especially with Benteke out for 2 months. Seriously in the next 6 PL games without him how many goals will we score ? 3 ?

So in other words you've basically just written us off for however long Benteke is out? Thank God the players didn't do that on Saturday.

Last years was started on the opening day of the season after losing to west ham I think

The fact that that thread proved to be valid has no bearing on the validity of this thread, which right now isn't really valid at all. It's a bit like saying the race for 4th thread that was made at the start of the 10/11 season was valid because the same thread made the season before was valid.

If we managed to get our results so far this season, last season, we would have finished 11th on goal difference.

This thread is indeed invalid, I'd be pretty happy with 11th. We'll be okay.

Edited by samjp26

You don't agree with that we will be in relegation trouble, everyone gets it. Why are you so fervent in trying to shut down discussion?

You don't agree with that we will be in relegation trouble, everyone gets it. Why are you so fervent in trying to shut down discussion?

I'm not "fervent" in trying to "shut down discussion", I'm just pointing out how this thread isn't valid. It may be some time later in the season, it may not, but it isn't now. I never said we would necessarily stay out of relegation trouble.

It feels like people are willing to give up before games have even been played (see some of the overreactions to Benteke's injury).

We've flirted with relegation for three seasons now.

At some point, it'll screw us.

That's mostly irrelevant to this season.

Edited by Mantis

The joy of football is largely the debating outside of games. I'm happy to have a relegation thread and I'd also more than welcome a Europe qualification thread or a we will win the fa cup this year thread.

Demanding that this thread be shut is somewhat controlling and blinkered . If you don't like it don't post in here.

So basically, relevant then if it's only 'mostly irrelevant'?

It's barely relevant in that you wouldn't expect us to be qualifying for Europe given recent seasons but it certainly doesn't mean we'll definitely be battling relegation this season. It's just strange logic.

It's barely relevant in that you wouldn't expect us to be qualifying for Europe given recent seasons but it certainly doesn't mean we'll definitely be battling relegation this season. It's just strange logic.

So what you are saying is that, yes, it is relevant. 

On the basis that last season Wigan were expected to struggle last year as they are always down that end of the table, a similar thread of thought can be applied to us. That's what kind of football club we are now. I don't like it anymore than you, but that's what this club is now.

So what you are saying is that, yes, it is relevant. 

On the basis that last season Wigan were expected to struggle last year as they are always down that end of the table, a similar thread of thought can be applied to us. That's what kind of football club we are now. I don't like it anymore than you, but that's what this club is now.

It's relevant in so far as it indicates that we probably won't be fighting for Europe or anything. Generally teams don't go from just surviving to finish in the top 7. Other than that though it's not relevant.

We're not Wigan though, and I wish people would stop with this comparison as it makes little sense to me. Yes we've struggled these past few seasons but not to the extent Wigan did. Let's not forget that we finished 9th in one of the seasons where we were fighting relegation, never entered the relegation zone once under McLeish (although would've done had the seasons lasted longer I expect) and although it was really close last season, we still were out of the zone for much of the season.

You may see us as that kind of football club at the moment but I don't.

Edited by Mantis

The next few weeks are tricky but after Everton at home we have a very good two month run of games. We play at home: Cardiff, Sunderland, Man. United, Swansea and Crystal Palace and away we play: West Ham, West Brom, Southampton, Fulham, Stoke and Sunderland again on New years day.

That's 11 games there and if the team plays properly consistently plenty of points and wins. That would get us up to 20 games played so just over half the season gone.

I fully expected us to be safely in mid table, maybe even 9th or 10th. If we aren't yep time to worry about a relegation battle.

Don't see it. Come Jan I think we will be flirting again with 16/17th

We'll see mate.

We have won 2/3 away so surely you see some away wins in those listed away games? (I didn't even put the Hull fixture in which is a possible win). At home I agree we don't look like we'll win many games but we're not going to lose all 19 home games, we will eventually win and draw a few when we play bottom half teams which happened second half of last season.