Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

I don't think we could survive months without Benteke personally.

Apart from the poor display against Newcastle, the defence has been much tighter this season. Apart from a penalty which wasn't and the last minute Guzan save, Norwich didn't really create a huge amount did they? Neither did Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool when we played them so o.k we're still conceding goals but surely you need to credit some of them for stepping up their game like Clark who I've been critical of.

Last night was disappointing but remember we lost league cup games to Leicester and QPR at home in MON seasons and ironically we went on very good league runs after those games.

we drew at Wigan and beat Norwich when we didnt have Benteke so dont see all the doom and gloom. Same with Okore teh 2 games we won he had no involvement.

good players but we can survive without them

Um, I'm struggling to remember the game we played against Wigan this season?

We'll have to eventually. It'll be a good chance to try something different and, you never know, it might actually turn into one of those things that's actually beneficial. Said it before here, but sometimes your biggest asset can hold you back, but you'll never know for sure until you've to do without him. Benteke out for 6 weeks is, somewhat perversely, IMO probably better for us in the long term than him being an ever present this season and us starting next year with a couple of lads who've started barely any games between them

We wont get relegated, but we wont be in the top half of the table.

Lambert has his limitations as a manager, he cant organise a team defensivley for shit and he doesnt like to manage big ego's. He is also restricted by wages and what he can spend. As long as we stay in the premier league then you must admit Lambert is doing a good job. I dont see how people can expect more than a bottom 6 finish with this squad at all, I also dont understand people getting pissed off about being thrashed by Spurs, Spurs will not be the only team to put 4 or more past us this season, there will be a few more of those this season for sure. As long as we pick up points against the likes of Norwich, Fulham, West Brom, Hull, Cardiff, Palace etc we will be okay.

People might not like to admit it but we are now a very poor premiership team indeed

We wont get relegated, but we wont be in the top half of the table

See this is something I disagree with. If you think we won't get relegated, unless you think we'll get out of it with a game or two to go, you can't also say we won't finish top 10. There's absolutely nothing between the teams from 8th down to 16th traditionally. Saying we won't go down with confidence is realistically to accept we COULD finish top 10, or bottom 5, because there'll likely only be a game or two in the difference come the end of the season

A squad assembled by Lambert it should be pointed out. Surviving another relegation battle this season would mean he is doing a poor job and failed to advance us in his two years here and with circa £40m spent.

A squad assembled by Lambert it should be pointed out. Surviving another relegation battle this season would mean he is doing a poor job and failed to advance us in his two years here and with circa £40m spent.

Needs a 5-10 point improvement this season. If he does that, we're on the right track, and next season would be the deciding one in  whether to keep him on or bring in someone else for a go. Unless a manager is completely destroying things, I don't believe they should get less than 3 years. That's what it takes to rebuild a squad to any reasonable degree

Apart from the poor display against Newcastle, the defence has been much tighter this season. Apart from a penalty which wasn't and the last minute Guzan save, Norwich didn't really create a huge amount did they? Neither did Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool when we played them so o.k we're still conceding goals but surely you need to credit some of them for stepping up their game like Clark who I've been critical of.

Last night was disappointing but remember we lost league cup games to Leicester and QPR at home in MON seasons and ironically we went on very good league runs after those games.

I agree with this. I know we have a poor defence but I think its reputation is worse than the reality.

Needs a 5-10 point improvement this season. If he does that, we're on the right track, and next season would be the deciding one in  whether to keep him on or bring in someone else for a go. Unless a manager is completely destroying things, I don't believe they should get less than 3 years. That's what it takes to rebuild a squad to any reasonable degree

I'd agree with that. If we do indeed progress this season then this summer will be the ultimate test of Lerner's ambition. We all know we will be getting £30m plus for Benteke and I'd expect Lambert to be given all of it at the very least. It will also be up to Lambert to spend it on players who will improve the quality of the first XI.

The league this yr is very tightly knit, honestly think any position between 8th and 19th (last seasons top 7 and I see palace getting cut off) is possible for the rest. Ergo it is possible that we could be involved in a relegation battle. It may be too early for panic to kick in, but it doesn't mean people can't discuss the possibility of it happening. Conversely, it could be equally possible that we are involved for a push for a European place and again people could discuss that.

This is not all about the games, not the plucky win over Arsenal, unlucky loss to Chelsea, the Jekyll and Hyde performance versus Liverpool, the abysmal performance against Newcastle or the courageous win with an awful performance at Norwich.

It is about the lack of depth, the lack if quality, the home form, the defence, the static midfield, the fact plan a and b are the same.

It us more than results, it is a collection of things.

Swansea are one point above us and look as if they'll be losing 3-1 to Birmingham City tonight.

Do we think Michael Laudrup will get sacked/Swansea will get relegated?

Doubt it very much.

I don't want Lambert sacked. The thing is you EXPECT Swansea to struggle, at least they try to win and don't just accept being able to survive. We are twice the club they are and act half the size.

And I think they will be down there with us.

Edited by dodgyknees

Swansea are one point above us and look as if they'll be losing 3-1 to Birmingham City tonight.

Doubt it very much.

There aren't actually many people calling for Lamberts head.

For me its the blind faith, and those who believe we can expect no better. His first window with the money available he did well. I know its early days - but I believe he has done poorly in this summers window.  

No disrespect but that's the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read.

Doubt it very much.

There aren't actually many people calling for Lamberts head.

For me its the blind faith, and those who believe we can expect no better. His first window with the money available he did well. I know its early days - but I believe he has done poorly in this summers window.

And its hard to blame him if he has struggled, I worked out he spent 10m overall with ins and outs. Awful for a premier league club and completely explains the lack of quality.

Swansea will be fine. They started with Man Utd and Spurs but have won two and drawn against Liverpool since. Another club who have quietly surpassed us in team quality in recent times.