Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

Swansea will be fine. They started with Man Utd and Spurs but have won two and drawn against Liverpool since. Another club who have quietly surpassed us in team quality in recent times.

Liar, we had the hardest start ever.

But yes they have surpassed us, quality wise.

Edited by dodgyknees

Swansea will be fine. They started with Man Utd and Spurs but have won two and drawn against Liverpool since. Another club who have quietly surpassed us in team quality in recent times.

But you could argue, that the away games have been harder and we have done better with them....so not sure what that goes to prove.

Seems to me we just have a home problem.

It's just our luck we will fix that and the away form will evaporate.

But you could argue, that the away games have been harder and we have done better with them....so not sure what that goes to prove.

Seems to me we just have a home problem.

It's just our luck we will fix that and the away form will evaporate.

We won't keep up the away form all season, I have us ending on 6 wins and 3 draws, but I can see 7 wins, it really depends on players and form.

The home form is worrying.

But this is more than form, the lack of quality will hurt us.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

A squad assembled by Lambert it should be pointed out. Surviving another relegation battle this season would mean he is doing a poor job and failed to advance us in his two years here and with circa £40m spent.

Needs a 5-10 point improvement this season. If he does that, we're on the right track, and next season would be the deciding one in whether to keep him on or bring in someone else for a go. Unless a manager is completely destroying things, I don't believe they should get less than 3 years. That's what it takes to rebuild a squad to any reasonable degree

I disagree. spending £40m in two years is about to stay up. If you want to compete with the big boys at the other end of the table you have to do what spurs have done and shell out £120m. Norwich and Sunderland have spent this summer and are still shite.

For what its worth i dont think Lambert will stay on beyond his current contract.

We started against Arsenal (who we beat) and Chelsea. Only difference is that they drew against Liverpool and we lost 1-0.

We did have a tough start, as did they and I completely expect them to finish above us without a doubt, but it makes no sense that we have this thread. I bet there isn't one on the Swansea forums?

In 8th we have Man United who have 7 points. 1 more than us. Below that you have tonnes of teams. Do they have relegation threads on their forums?

Not that I mind this thread completely, it does serve a purpose.

We started against Arsenal (who we beat) and Chelsea. Only difference is that they drew against Liverpool and we lost 1-0.

We did have a tough start, as did they and I completely expect them to finish above us without a doubt, but it makes no sense that we have this thread. I bet there isn't one on the Swansea forums?

Why should there be when they have shown they can compete.

We haven't? You imply we've rolled over and lost every game.

We haven't? You imply we've rolled over and lost every game.

No.

Go support Small Heath who are happy to survive.

For me, Villa are not a club who "survive" and taking that route, to "get through a season" with "honest lads" is not football.

If you think it is, it's the wrong sport for you pal.

For me, Villa are not a club who "survive" and taking that route, to "get through a season" with "honest lads" is not football.

I don't understand how you can say that we're just going to be a club who wants to survive for the rest of eternity. 

Maybe this needs to happen first for a few seasons as we regain stability and then we can start to push for the top again.

Not only is this Narrow-sighted. Its short-sighted as well! 

Edited by KjParton

Swansea are one point above us and look as if they'll be losing 3-1 to Birmingham City tonight.

Do we think Michael Laudrup will get sacked/Swansea will get relegated?

Doubt it very much.

I don't want Lambert sacked. The thing is you EXPECT Swansea to struggle, at least they try to win and don't just accept being able to survive. We are twice the club they are and act half the size.

And I think they will be down there with us.

This is a very odd statement to make. I've seen nothing to suggest that we don't try and win and just accept being able to survive. The only difference is Swansea have been doing a bit better recently.

Edited by Mantis

I havent seen anything to over worry me yet. 6 points is what i expected. I thought we would beat Newcastle and Norwich and lose the rest although we have the best record at the emirates i believe. 3 wins and 2 draws since it opened. I also expected a pasting from spurs as they are just too good. I think they might win the league

I dont think losing to Newcastle is too bad, the barcodes starting XI is far superior, i think they are top 8 if they all stay fit. If we stay where we are at the moment about 13th then thats a cracking season. Its a very inexperienced team made up of players from weak foreign leagues who are still learning.

The premier league is a **** hard place to be thrown in at the deep end.Sadly this is how villa are as a club so i will just have to accept it. Unless an oil rich sheikh comes along this is the ride we are on.Sometimes i feel Lambert is tactically naive but I dont think he is going to change his ways.

• Like 2

I don't understand how you can say that we're just going to be a club who wants to survive for the rest of eternity. 

Maybe this needs to happen first for a few seasons as we regain stability and then we can start to push for the top again.

Not only is this Narrow-sighted. Its short-sighted as well! 

Because you can absolutely guarantee this is going to work. Isn't it funny how I am wrong for being worried about an absolute lack of quality and called short sighted, yet you are absolutely correct to be able to see into the future too - there is zero evidence for either of our claims, the only thing I know is a lack of quality will hurt us badly - go through match threads, talk to other fans, it is obvious there is a lack of quality and the numbers we have are bodies more than players who can come in and make a difference.

First we were told it was not about transfer fees, but about wages.

Then suddenly we are told there is not enough there to spend on the players Paul needs (HH)

Our manager had to choose between buying a player who would improve us (quality) and a player who will be mainly back up as we are a one man team and are petrified we might lose that man to an injury.

Not only was there a lack of players who could come in and change the issues we had (Okore being the only one) the manager was denied the chance to make the changes to stop us having the issues we had 12 MONTHS AGO and even before that.

We cannot break teams down.

We are static in midfield.

There are no goals from midfield.

We have a distinct lack of width.

We are defensively naive.

ONE of those was looked at and changed. ONE.