Libor Kozák

samjp26

a striker that actually looked to make runs in behind the defence. Did more in 90 minutes than gestede has all season and I hope this is just the start of he's villa career rather than being shipped out. 

• Like 1

lacks some quality overall, but at least he works, and most importantly he looks to make smart runs in behind players.

This opens things up for players like Westwood, Gil and Veretout who can all pick a pass - too many times this season they have got the ball in a good position, looked up, then had to go backwards because everybody infront of them is just standing there.

Edited by andym
  • Like 4

He was really quite average, and the linesman saved some blushes when he powered that one-on-one past the far post, but given how long he's been out, how rusty he is, and how dreadful his competition for the spot is, he deserves another start or two. We still need to sign a genuinely good striker. 

• Like 1

His hold up play and touch were no better than Gestede, but his movement is so much better. When he's not on the ball, he's making defenders think and occupying them, which frees up space for others like Ayew.

I still think Gestede has a role to play (from the bench in all likelihood), but the shirt is Kozak's now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He was really quite average

as average as he was, he still made more of an impact than gestede has made all season. Considering this was his first start for us in 2 years, a freak leg break, frozen out by sherwood and Garde hasn't played him much, for him to start tonight and put in the effort he did deserves praise.

Limited but at least he moves and makes runs unlike Gestede.

I was sitting in the Lower witton tonight by the Holte so what probably wouldn't be noticed is the amount of times he headed it away from Palace free kicks, was marking Scott Dann's who's obviously a big danger.

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

as average as he was, he still made more of an impact than gestede has made all season. Considering this was his first start for us in 2 years, a freak leg break, frozen out by sherwood and Garde hasn't played him much, for him to start tonight and put in the effort he did deserves praise.

Sure. But the way people are going on in this thread, it's like we don't need to sign a striker any more. Would you rather start Kozak or Austin next game? Or Remy? I'm not knocking him, but 'being better than Gestede' is really a bare minimum. As I said in the Gestede thread, we need a new striker in the team, Kozak on the bench and Gestede on the first train out of Aston. 

You can see if he get's an opportunity to lose some of the rust there's a decent player in there. Part of me really wants to see him succeed, horrific injury and then the forgotten man. Waited a long time for his chance and deserves another start based on today's performance. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure. But the way people are going on in this thread, it's like we don't need to sign a striker any more. Would you rather start Kozak or Austin next game? Or Remy? I'm not knocking him, but 'being better than Gestede' is really a bare minimum. As I said in the Gestede thread, we need a new striker in the team, Kozak on the bench and Gestede on the first train out of Aston. 

I don't think anyone would disagree with you. However based on what we know about our club and Remi's comments about the difficulties attracting players right now - I think people are debating the merits of Kozak Vs Gestede - on the basis that noone else will be joining us.

Edited by GeordieVillan

He showed obvious signs of being rusty, but put in a lot of effort and kept going long after you would have expected him to run out of steam. Some nice touches early on, went downhill a bit but raised his game again in the second half. 

He is a player who comes alive in the box, and although he didn't have much chance to do that, his overall contribution was good, and showed more signs of being able to form an understanding with Ayew than Gestede has.

Â