• El Amadi
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Okore (for Clark 43)
    • Tonev (for El Ahmedi 81)

Mourinho says Villa are a long ball team. Villa attempted 46 long balls tonight. Chelsea attempted 51. #avfc #cfc

What a **** word removed

They did have more than twice as much possession as we did though....

Don't think it was a penalty

It was 100% a penalty. Terry's arm was in an unnatural position. You can't put your arms in the air like that in the box.

I was looking on a Chelsea forum after the match last night and to be fair to them they were fairly complimentary of the villa

majority of them agreed it was a sending off

majority of them agreed it was a penalty

majority of them said it wasn't offside for their goal

they all seem to be in agreement that the villa will be pushing for a top ten spot this season and shouldn't have anything to worry about

pretty much each and every one of them agreed that Benteke is currently one of the best strikers in the prem

I know there isn't much there that they could argue about but it was nice to see that they actually thought we were hard done by and that we will do well this season, some forums I have looked on after matches would have said that we are a bunch of moaning B******* and that we didn't deserve anything and they hope we will get relegated.

Edited by leemond2008

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho: "That was very hard. I missed that about the Premier League! Normally matches in the Bernabeu we win every match very comfortable, this was very hard, it's what I like. I told Paul Lambert that they deserve a point, it wouldn't be unfair.

"They fought a lot. They have their style which is not my style. They have a special player with special qualities with Christian Benteke, they transport the ball to your half and he is a big boy who makes a lot of fouls. It's difficult. They are very dangerous in counter-attack as well." 
Edited by SempiternalVillain

I was listening to the TalkSport commentary, and ALL of their guys (not just Collymore) were absolutely SCREAMING that both of those ref decisions were blatantly wrong. Red card all day long, stone cold penalty.

Outrageous. That was certainly a point, and quite possibly three points stolen from us by a ref who was at best utterly incompetent, and at worst corrupt.

Fuming.

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of people, including myself were angry last night immediately after the game – now I’ve had tie to mull things over here are my thoughts.

Chelsea’s 1st goal – not a lot to say about this. It was a fluke, Guuuuz makes the save andTony can’t get out of the way, and it deflects in off his chest - Tony is right to be tracking in because there's a Chelsea player on his shoulder, nine times out of ten Guuuuz palms it away safely.

Villa’s equaliser – Bentekkers, what a player, pure class, was relatively quiet up until that point, took his chance well.

Ivanovic elbow – at the time I thought red. Now on reflection I think it would have been harsh, if it has been given against Okore/Clarke/Vlaar we all would have been livid. He had his eye on the ball all the way and they are tussling. They are both big blokes and they were having a right ding dong all night so I’m not too down about the decision.

Chelsea’s 2nd goal – putting aside the argument as to whether or not Ivanaovic should have been on the pitch, I think we are still poor at defending high balls from set pieces. We don’t have any presence in the air like we used to with Laursen / Mellberg. In addition, I can’t remember who gave the free kick away, but was it a bad decision by the ref or a poor tackle?????

John Terry’s Handball – do I even need to comment here. Clear handball, ref bottled it.

Refereeing decisions generally – I though in some respects we were quite lucky, Delph and El Ahmadi (and to a lesser extent Westwood) were flying in all over the place which I love to see but I think they might need to be careful as I can see them getting carded more and more. Loved them last night though.

Overall – reasonably happy, just think we derived at least a point, and the handball decision was a joke. And also I used to think Jose was cool, but nowadays I think he a total plank.

Can’t wait for Liverpool on Sat!

I am convinced, and I really mean this, I am certain that match fixing is going on. It's the only way to possibly make any kind of sense of some officiating.

I no longer know what good refereeing looks like and it just makes watching the team I love very very difficult. To lose is one thing, but to lose to blatantly obvious cheating from a clearly bent ref is just totally unacceptable.

My first post of tonight was that the ref would cost us somehow and I knew without any doubts that he would. He does it all the time to us!

nonsense. It's not match fixing, just your normal run of the mill 'wealthy club at home' bias

I have to agree, My Spurs supporting Father-in-law, has claimed for a while that Abramovich buys referee's, I keep telling him to stop talking nonsense, most of them give Chelsea (and the other media darlings) all the help they could ever want for free. why would he waste his money paying for something he gets for free.

I was too livid last night to do anything other than vote.

The cheating ref is out of our control, I just hope he gets dropped after this and Ivanovic get a retrospective ban.

As to our lads performance. It was excellent. Again every player on the pitch gave 100%.

Vlaar had a much improved game and was solid. Westwood and El Amadi put in great shifts.

Gabby showed again how dangerous he is, I can’t believe he is still only 26. He was top calss again.

Delph was immense. Delighted for him.

However I voted Benteke MOTM. This is purely because his performance last night was on another level. He has stepped up to the world class bracket. He is challenging for best Villa player in my life time add I’m not too young!   

His finishing, passing and hold up play last night was different class. What a player!

Edited by Villastine

I hate these cheating ref's, after watching the game back and trying to take my C&B glasses off I still haven't changed my mind that the referee cheated.

It's almost as if they will do everything in their power to make sure the chosen Sky money clubs get the results to keep the status quo. On Saturday we had a ref who didn't play to the script, this what I believe Wenger meant with his "not in the spirit" comment. The ref's reward is to be removed from the list for PL games.

So that's the message to all ref's (as if most need it!) toe the line of your out, if anyone complain as I'm now doing it's just sour grapes along with the "better" team won bollocks.

**** them all, the team played really well and given a level playing field we may well have gotten something out of this game.

Now I'm off to find a dog to kick.........................not really :)

When Vlaar goes in with his shoulder on Lukaku its debatable whether its even a FK or not. Lukakh was happy to play on so the ref should have let it go and regardless of the whistle going it was good to see Ron get the better of him by the end of the play only for it to then come back

If Ivanovic catches bentekes jaw with that elbow he probably breaks it with that force (saying that, it is Tekkers, Ivanovic ptobably would have come away with a dislocated elbow). Friend who ive always thought was a shit ref clearly sees it and bottles is, the whole Chelsea team knew it should have been red. They were done the biggest of favours last night by their biggest 'friend' and our lads deserved better.

Still pissed off, be interesting to see what these ski fans at work are gonna say to me at work today.

And another thing, the atmosphere was dead last night, Chelsea fans couldnt hear them all game except a few 'weve got the special one' chants which sounded absolutely ridiculous btw. Great support as always from us, vocal throughout. We really do have the best fans in the country

Would prefer another 8-0 than to be cheated like we were last night.

Anyhoo...

Did anyone hear Mourinho's interview on the radio this morning? What a condescending tosser.

The only special thing about him is his **** ego.

Ivanovic elbow – at the time I thought red. Now on reflection I think it would have been harsh, if it has been given against Okore/Clarke/Vlaar we all would have been livid. He had his eye on the ball all the way and they are tussling. They are both big blokes and they were having a right ding dong all night so I’m not too down about the decision.

You can argue that maybe he still should have been on the pitch when he scored, it was a borderline decision for me. But he continued fouling, elbowing and kicked Benteke in the face and how he was still on the pitch after 90 minutes is completely beyond me. That might not have changed the result, but it would have felt a bit fairer. 

According to Mourinho Lambert needs "maturity" for complaining about absolutely awful decisions that certainly changed the course of the game.

Mourinho can go **** himself. He'd have been even worse than Lambert had his team been on the receiving end of those decisions.

• Like 2

Despite the obvious refereeing balls ups, the boys where fantastic and did not deserve to lose that game. Everyone could be proud of the way they played last night, and had Cech not been on form and pulling off two fantastic saves against Weimann I would say we would have been going back up the M1... or the M40 (depending on your preference) with all 3 points. Big plus for me was how difficult our midfield was to play against once it got settled.

To quote the commentator on my stream "Westwood, Delph and El Ahmdadi are a different class..." That made me grin like an idiot!

Big shout to the fans last night... Again

My voice is completely gone and we kept going for the full 90.

Can tell how much the lads feed off it.

Gutted about the result but left the ground feeling very proud of the team

Bring on red scouse.

Proud of the performance in the first two games. I'm not too worried about the defeat as I don't think many teams will get anything at Chelsea this season and but for poor ref decisions we would have got at least a point. I agree Delph was brilliant. Just hope we can back these two away performances with a home win against Liverpool. Then we have had an unbelievable start and can look forward to a really good season.

• Like 1

Right. I’m a bizarre mix of livid and proud. We have to be one of the most unlucky team when it comes to deflections, the first goal was another of these, Guzan with a good save which rebounds in off Luna. Brilliant equaliser by Benteke, had no right to be scoring there with his positioning and Chelsea’s defensive positioning. His only shot all game too…

Said a million times but Ivanovic had to go the first time, and when he escaped the second time you knew the referee was clearly deliberately not giving us anything. The goal was offside from a freekick that wasn’t a freekick (the two obliviously carried on playing for a good 20 seconds afterwards for heavens sake) and Ivanovic was offside. Even then to miss that awful handball in the area was ludicrous, we’ve been robbed of 3 points, because if Chelsea had gone down to 10 men at 1-1 we weren’t losing that.

That said we were fantastic, Chelsea are a better team than when we lost 8-0. And so are we. By a considerable margain. Clark looked tidy again before his head injury, and Okore really impressed when he came on, made at least three second perfect slide tackles whereupon he took the ball upfield after them. Delph was amazing, really burst to life in the last year, he was a class above yesterday. The front three were a bit quiet, but Benteke was fouled all game by Ivanovic/Terry/Cahill without the referee giving so much as a warning/FK.

El Ahmadi was impressive again, all of a sudden that 2m we spent on him doesn’t look like bad value. Wasted a shot from range but hey ho.

We actually caused problems for Chelsea, forced them onto the backfoot and with a referee with a set of balls we might have won. Extremely proud of the lads, and I think the lads are livid and will be up for it again on Saturday. No doubt Liverpool will get some more favourable refereeing…

Up the Villa and well done all. Shame we didn’t get the reward we deserved.

Â