• El Amadi
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Okore (for Clark 43)
    • Tonev (for El Ahmedi 81)

So annoying, expected a thrashing so very proud of the boys, ref was an inconsistent disgrace of a bottlejob tonight. Ivanovic should have gone and can you imagine if the penalty shout had been for Chelsea? We'd never hear the end of it. He booked Westwood, Benteke and Guzan for dissent when he was surrounded by blue shirts at every opportunity and Ba ranted on at him for at least a minute and a half with no booking. El Ahmadi got booked for winning the ball off Mata, the list goes on...

The other thing that pissed me off was that if Hazard, Mata or Oscar had have done something similar to what Gabby did in the build-up to Benteke's goal, pundits would be creaming themselves. One last thing, I wonder how long it will be before every club up and and down the country copies the "All I Care About" song like they have with "The City Is Ours" and the "My Lord" song.

Rant over.

Up the Villa.

I would never have believed that we would be capable of stopping arguably the most creative midfield in the league from creating, well, hardly anything. BBC stats showed 3 efforts on target for each team, they won with a set piece.

First time I've ever picked Delph MOTM. Gutsy defeat, **** by a ref. Hard to feel too bad about the performance, considering, although I'm feeling a bit disappointed in Weimann's showing over these first two games.

Agree totally.

I havent seen any of the match, but it all sounds promising, if not a bit annoying which should have got something  tonight. I dont want to get all Wenger on it is it is a long season and we might get a bit of luck another day. To compete head on with one of the favourites for the title does bode well for the season. I don't know what Lambert has done to Delph, as it he turning into the class player we hoped when we bought him 4 years ago. Big shout out to the fans who went tonight as it took a lot of guts to pay £52 to watch the Villa at a venue in which 2 of the last 4 leagues games total 15 conceeded and 1 goal scored.

And btw the "foul" which led to the free kick for their goal was nothing more than a 50-50 shoulder charge between two big units. The two players even played on completely oblivious to the fact that a free kick had been given! Nice delivery by lampard though. The tit

MOTM got to be Delph. If he keeps this form up, he'll be on the plane to Brazil in the Summer. Finally starting to live up to his potential.

Unless he moves to Man Utd, Delph, along with Agbonlahor won't get a sniff in the England squad, regardless of how well they play :L

Brilliant performance from the whole team. Very solid defending both vs arsenal and chelsea. One norwegian pundit called it world class.
I feel robbed,  I seldom blame the refereeing, but that was freaking horrible. He should come under scrutiny(correct word?). Just horrific.
We deserved 1 point if not 3 today. Gutted, thrilled about our performance though.

Edited by Skruff

I'm trying to feel better by telling myself that I'd've been ecstatic (a few weeks ago) if we drew at both Arsenal and Chelsea and getting two points on the board.

Yet we've got more points than that would equate to so must try and take that as an overall positive.

We were desperately unlucky today. The first goal was a fluke and the second was allegedly offside, however I don't want to take anything away from that world class ball by Lampard. We deserved a result against Chelsea, we defended excellently and carved them open from time to time. That move which led to the Gabby chance was scintillating. It is a pleasure to watch this fearless Villa team play. The transformation from McLeish's toothless pathetic Villa to this one is astonishing. Also a special word for Fabian Delph who was excellent today. I was calling for his head at the middle of last season but he has really kicked on and is finally looking like the player we always wanted him to be. 

Looking ahead to Liverpool I think we need to include Sylla, just to give us that extra little bite. However I have a feeling Lambo will play a 4-2-3-1 and start Tonev.

Great second half performance tonight.

Delph and Gabby should be certain for England call ups but I'd rather they didn't, don't need any unnecessary injuries. Delph will be a HUGE player for us this season I think, glad he's finally proving himself after being so unlucky with injuries. Okore looked decent on debut too.

Kevin Friend shafted us big time tonight but not much point saying anything about that as all has been said in the first 9 pages of this thread. Imagine if that had been a Ron Vlaar handball in the 93rd min with Chelsea chasing the game...

I could watch that GIF of Benteke's goal all night, casual one touch and finish despite having three defenders around him, he really is a special player and I'm just glad he plays for us at the moment.

And to the people saying bring Tonev in for Weimann on Saturday, I wouldn't... he's getting in the right positions and dropping him would be a severe confidence knocker IMO.

3 points and a positive GD from games away at Arsenal and Chelsea... bring on Liverpool and bring on the rest of the season.

Also... Lambert in a suit...  :wub:

Love this squad, imagine what we'll be like against a crap side!?

We'll find out on Saturday ;)

And btw the "foul" which led to the free kick for their goal was nothing more than a 50-50 shoulder charge between two big units. The two players even played on completely oblivious to the fact that a free kick had been given! Nice delivery by lampard though. The tit

The knobheaded ref twice pulled us back for taking a quick free kick with a moving ball in the first half, yet, they do exactly the same leading to the "free kick" that never was and nothing was done about it. Yet more evidence for why this ref should be put down!

What's upsetting about the no-call for the late penalty is FOR CERTAIN Friend saw the handball.  It couldn't have been clearer from his angle and he was looking right at the ball.  Unmistakable.  Why he didn't blow his whistle...Well, that's the question.  

Edited by tyklip

Â