Southampton

NurembergVillan

I think it's very doable if they continue in the vein they're in. They were still within a shout until April this season, so why not? As long as Liverpool, United and even Arsenal are as lacklustre as they've been in recent seasons, the door is very much ajar.

So as long as they push on from 8th last year, currently 7th, half the (massive) teams above them all fall away then they are in with a chance :lol:

It's hardly the most ludicrous claim in the world is it?

If we'd just had the couple of seasons Southampton had, I imagine we'd be furious if our board DIDN'T think we could be in the CHampions League in 5 years.

History tells us that every now and again one of the mid table teams flirts with the big time before falling away. 8th & 7th not exactly knocking on the door. I reckon they'll be more likely to have an exceptionally bad year and finish bottom 4 than finish top 4.

They had a Ronald Koeman day the other day, I think they might be smoking something down on the south coast.

I know that board need to appear to be positive but I think they should probably set their sights slightly lower (unless they are about to blow £150m I the summer and bring in a couple or 3 £150k/week+ players).

Edited by Genie

Liverpool can outspend who they want but if buy shit then it doesnt matter

Liverpool won't get Champions League football either. It's the current Top four that have huge resources, then a gap, then Liverpool and Spurs who if they buy well might have a chance of sneaking Top 4, then a HUGE gap, then Everton & Southampton who like to think that they could have a chance of Top 4 but who have absolutely no chance and at best get a Europa League spot, then everyone else who just want to stay up.

they are 1 point off 5th

They are 8 points behind 4th which is all that matters. 5th or 7th is all the same really with 7th probably preferable as you might miss out on the punishment that is the Europa League.

Edited by villa89

I don't understand why people put the europa league. Its a prestigious tournament with the carrot of champions league entry at the end of it. It might be Liverpool's only gateway into it over the next few seasons.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people put the europa league. Its a prestigious tournament with the carrot of champions league entry at the end of it. It might be Liverpool's only gateway into it over the next few seasons.

...because you have to play about 100 games to win the thing, you are travelling to all kinds of places on a Thursday, are then flying back on the Friday, training on the Saturday and playing on the Sunday.

On top of that you get peanuts to play in the thing and it is, in general,  a massive waste of time, resources and energy.

• Like 1

...because you have to play about 100 games to win the thing, you are travelling to all kinds of places on a Thursday, are then flying back on the Friday, training on the Saturday and playing on the Sunday.

On top of that you get peanuts to play in the thing and it is, in general,  a massive waste of time, resources and energy.

Tell that to the likes of Sevilla, Napoli, Dnipro etc. Take Sevilla they in the semis, and they are still in a good chance of a top 4 spot in La Liga. Its about managing your resources. I think its a great competition for the fans if you have a good run in it.

• Like 2

Tell that to the likes of Sevilla, Napoli, Dnipro etc. Take Sevilla they in the semis, and they are still in a good chance of a top 4 spot in La Liga. Its about managing your resources. I think its a great competition for the fans if you have a good run in it.

I am not saying the standard is worse but I think you can, to an extent, get away with playing at 80% in La Liga and Seria A.

You can't do that in the PL, look at how Everton's results shifted when they got knocked out.

It's brutal.

• Like 1

Eljero Elia is absolute garbage. Trust me. He was good in the Eredivisie and for a little bit at Hamburg. He's just another N'Zogbia.

and that's probably being a little harsh on Zog.

Spot on guys.

It seems so.

• Like 1

I don't think a team like Sevilla can ever play at 80% in la liga. Barcelona and Real Madrid yes. Can Everton blame their league position solely on their participation in the eufa league? Its no different really from playing in the champions league especially if you have to play a qualification round. One of the problems Everton have is their ageing squad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â