Southampton

NurembergVillan

Interesting point on the football ramble about Southampton's academy. Until very recently they've had an exceptionally large catchment area due to the lack of other academies in the vicinity. Pompey now have an academy, and although im sure Saints will still be the preferred choice for the vast majority of promising youngsters in the area (Potential Champ League v Potential non league), it does give some insight into a factor as to why they have been so prolific in producing gems.

Southampton are now in the transfer window that we so spectacularly failed it. They could nail down Champs League if they buy well. As could we have, but we bought Heskey. The rest is tear inducing history.

I'm not sure that's as big a thing as they were making out.  If it were about catchment areas then why aren't Newcastle churning out youth team players like Southampton are?  Why have Manchester United always had good youth team players in the squad?  Southampton's youth academy is good because it's good, not because only Portsmouth and Bournemouth are local rivals. 

I said its a factor, which it inevitably is, not the be all and end all, which it clearly isn't. As to your other points, Newcastle are competing with Sunderland and Boro. United back in the day were competing with a not very good City, and the name / brand of United would have been a huge pulling factor for young players and parents of young players. Southampton have invested a lot on their academy, and made it a focal point of their development so of course it should reap rewards.

But Young wasn't from our youth academy... ;)

Gabby was pretty much as integral to our attack as Young was between 07-09 when we scored about 130 goals in 2 seasons (now we wouldn't have 130 shots in 2 seasons) so that's why I made the comparison.

In any case we paid 9.5m to get Young from that much vaunted Watford academy.

Its amazing how they still do it. Arguably their best two playes out yesterday and they still find a way to win. If they are going to stay in the top 4 they need to bring some more players in this transfer window I think. However I still think its between Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool for the other 2 spots. 

Certainly hope they do so, and I hope Schneiderlin sees sense and doesn't run off to join Spurs in January. 

They'll be raided again in the summer, no doubt. If they can get Champions League, then there's no telling where they can go with the talent available, the money in the bank and the offer of Champions League football.

Exactly. Bent was a great signing at the time and would have flourished if Houllier had of stayed or we had appointed an attack minded manager. 

Certainly hope they do so, and I hope Schneiderlin sees sense and doesn't run off to join Spurs in January. 

They'll be raided again in the summer, no doubt. If they can get Champions League, then there's no telling where they can go with the talent available, the money in the bank and the offer of Champions League football.

They won't be a lock in the top 4 though like Man. City have become as they simply don't have the resources to sustain it season in season out.

At best they'll do a Spurs, one season of champions league football followed by endless 5th/6th finishes but I think they're more likely to drop into mid table.

The big teams come good at this stage of the season. Arsenal are starting to play well and they have a great squad, 3rd for me. Spurs, Liverpool and United who look a bit iffy to fight it out for 4th spot. 

Eljero Elia is absolute garbage. Trust me. He was good in the Eredivisie and for a little bit at Hamburg. He's just another N'Zogbia.

and that's probably being a little harsh on Zog.

Spot on guys.

One game. I follow Werder Bremen. He isnt very good. Of course it isnt impossible that he plays better for Koeman in Southampton's system, but he's had games like that before and just coasted offering nothing in other games afterwards. We'll see, but i'm skeptical. 

The big teams come good at this stage of the season. Arsenal are starting to play well and they have a great squad, 3rd for me. Spurs, Liverpool and United who look a bit iffy to fight it out for 4th spot. 

Southampton are already on 42 points.

In previous seasons 70 points is usually what you need for top 4 so Southampton feasibly need just 9 more wins from their last 16 games so more or less 50% ratio for rest of the season dosen't sound that hard.

Mind you it shows a) what a good achivement it was and B) what a total bottle job it was that in 08/09 we had 52 points around this stage although the premier league was a lot stronger back then as indicated by the teams in the champions league.

Â