Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Bond

Think they will line up (assuming all the injury rumours are true)

Szczesny

Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs

Wilshere     Ramsey

Ox-Cham            Rosicky          Podolski

Giroud

But I can still see Cazorla [Replacing Rosicky] , Walcott [Ox-Cham] and Sagna [Jenkinson] getting on if they are only fatigued/carrying a knock. Wenger will be desperate to start well.

Walcott especially seemed fine last night. Rumours of him being out is more than likely mind-games with him to be announced fit as close to the game as possible.

If we had a strong DM that midfield trio would be there for the taking, technically good but a lot of similar players in there. 

In the unlikely event they really do line up as I imagined it above, we have a great chance of getting something with our attack. I'd be tempted to drop Weimann and put Tonev on his side to go up against Gibbs, the pace of Gabby and Tonev will really cause some issues for that defence. Think he'd be better suited on the wing with a flat 3 in midfield of Delph, Westwood and KEA to try and congest the midfield and make it difficult for Ramsey in particular who will have the Arsenal fans on his back after a couple of early mistakes.

Shame Sylla is out 

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Think they will line up (assuming all the injury rumours are true)

Szczesny

Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs

Wilshere     Ramsey

Ox-Cham            Rosicky          Podolski

Giroud

But I can still see Cazorla [Replacing Rosicky] , Walcott [Ox-Cham] and Sagna [Jenkinson] getting on if they are only fatigued/carrying a knock. Wenger will be desperate to start well.

Walcott especially seemed fine last night. Rumours of him being out is more than likely mind-games with him to be announced fit as close to the game as possible.

If we had a strong DM that midfield trio would be there for the taking, technically good but a lot of similar players in there. 

In the unlikely event they really do line up as I imagined it above, we have a great chance of getting something with our attack. I'd be tempted to drop Weimann and put Tonev on his side to go up against Gibbs, the pace of Gabby and Tonev will really cause some issues for that defence. Think he'd be better suited on the wing with a flat 3 in midfield of Delph, Westwood and KEA to try and congest the midfield and make it difficult for Ramsey in particular who will have the Arsenal fans on his back after a couple of early mistakes.

Shame Sylla is out 

I'm not sure you know. Arsenal have to go to Turkey midweek and play Fenerbahce. That's a bigger game for them.

I'd think El Ahmadi will start. TBH if he's the furthest forward of the trio I'm OK with that, where I worry about him is defensively as he always gets caught ahead of the play.

He was great in the friendly against Crewe in a forward position. Two clever assists and his run forward led to another, I don't think he is a defensive/holding midfielder. He has good vision and I would also play him the furthest forward with Westwood and Deplh behind.

"I have a strange feeling we're gonna drop wiemann to the bench for the start of this one" - I hope not P3te Benteke & Weimann need to start they have a great understanding and might well worry the Arsenal defence.

• Like 1

Getting really excited now.

We are stronger than last season with more confidence.

Arsenal are weaker, have let a lot of talent leave and signed no one yet.

They have a lot of injuries and a big match against fenabache in mid week.

I hope they underestimate us...

I think we do this and have put a little bet on the villa at 7/1.

To be honest though I bet on villa every week to win....

• Like 1

I wonder if Helenius will make his debut as our attacking mid

This does not make sense. Am I missing something? He scored against some very average German teams.Attacking mid???

He's looked decent when he's been involved in pre-season, largely from a creative rather than finishing standpoint and I think on what we've seen of him so far, this is a position he's looked good in. Both he and Tonev have shown some promise at AM, but personally Id like to see us go with KEA for this one.

• Like 1

2-1 Villa, nervy last 20 minutes where Arsenal pull one back through Giroud who has been on fire this preseason. Two goals for Benteke, one from a cross off Lowton, one from a rebound Gabby shot.

What records will they play at half time, and will there be a streaker?

• Like 2

Okay so Wenger has confirmed that Arteta, Monreal and Vermaelen are out. No mention about Sagna, Walcott or Cazorla, although Wenger did seem unsure about them yesterday and is probably holding out as long as possible to see if they can make the team.

Defensively they are going to be very vulnerable, the fans will be on their backs too from any early mistakes. Tense for Arsenal at the minute.

2-1 or 3-1, Villa win.