Manchester United

BOF

In part it’s because of the money they’ve spent. Hundreds of millions and they’re pretty drab. Of course there is also a large part of this which is powered by the thought of “How could this happen to a great club like Man Utd? Eighth??!? Does the league even go down that far?”.

This thinking is seemingly based on the notion that Man Utd winning everything in sight, or at least being close to winning everything in sight, is the norm and it’s always been the case. When of course, it isn’t. The Ferguson years are really the outlier in their history.

I see my Man Utd mates and recognise that they’ve seen their club win more than I or the vast majority of supporters will ever see our respective clubs win. And despite that my Man Utd mates and their cohorts are unhappy. Glory hunting or not, it does rather highlight how fleeting the feeling of success in sport is. No matter how many trophies are won, to a lot of supporters it’s always going to be “Yeah, but where are we going to finish this season?”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Fair enough, I may have been over critical, but I do think some of the signings have been poor in terms of both ability and temperament, and "turd" comment alludes to that as much as anything. I'd be disappointed if we'd spent so much on Hojlund, Antony, and Mount. They're just very average footballers, not able to take Utd to the top level, and Antony and Mount have done very little to convince they have the right temperament to improve, amongst so many others there.

My original point being that a top quality team of footballing execs would never have allowed this to happen.

I think I’m just sick of hearing about Manchester United, and all their problems, and feeling like they take up all the oxygen of the football media universe, and yet, I can’t stop talking about them or thinking about them. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I wonder how someone like Steve Clarke would do at United right now.   

He would be rightfully laughed out the door especially when he is trying to bring in his son Tshibola

Diego Simeone hasn't signed a new contract with Madrid yet I think. Think he will thou. Maybe Manure can make him the best paid manager in the world (again) and have him bore them to death for 2-3 years.

Just now, sne said:

Diego Simeone hasn't signed a new contract with Madrid yet I think. Think he will thou. Maybe Manure can make him the best paid manager in the world (again) and have him bore them to death for 2-3 years.

He's not a "man utd man" whatever the **** that means.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

something about something Simeone did in the past to a United hero that will not make him very popular with the fans. It would be like us hiring Robbie Savage

Just now, Zatman said:

something about something Simeone did in the past to a United hero that will not make him very popular with the fans. It would be like us hiring Robbie Savage

Apart from Simeone being talented and Robbie Savage, well. Not so much. :D

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The Ferguson years are really the outlier in their history.

Champions of England; 1907–08, 1910–11, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1964–65, 1966–67, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13.

FA Cup; 1908–09, 1947–48, 1962–63, 1976–77, 1982–83, 1984–85, 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04, 2015–16

Ferguson won roughly ⅔ of their titles,  5 of their 12 FA Cups, and ⅔ of their League Cups, and 2 of their 3 European Cups. 26 years without a league title before he was appointed, they had 7 titles at that point - spread over 60 years.

Including the Community Shield (and further including shared ones), Manchester United have won 67 trophies in their history (1878-2023). Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge for 38 of them (1986-2013).

Very much an incredible period of success rather than a consistent trophy winning club.

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The players have downed tools for Ten Hag. Writing is on the wall for him and he'll be gone before Xmas I suspect. Deserves it for thinking Fernandes deserved to be captain. 

The club is a joke. You take Fernandes and Rashford (who I don't particularly rate anyway) out of that side and you really aren't left with much. 

Yep Rashford and Fernandes are phoning it in currently. When you think of how many both have scored over last two years then no wonder they've only scored 11 goals in first 10 games, we've scored 20 at VP alone and that's playing one fewer home game so far.

They're exactly like we were under Gerrard. Playing sterile football with hardly any decent chances created bar "moments of magic" and squad don't believe in what they're asked to do so just wating for club to sack him now.

Be amusing if Ratcliffe wants Ten Hag to stay for rest of season, I can see them finishing bottom half like Chelsea did.

Apparently the four they interviewed last time were Ten Hag, Lopetegui, Poch and Luis Enrique.

So given Lopetegui is currently available and has managed big clubs and recent prem experience he probably looks a good shout on six month contract and then look again in the summer.

Imagine if they gave it Conte though. He'll probably throw a strop and resign after two months when water leaks from the roof and messes up his hair transplant.😂

• Haha 1

There are plenty of options to replace Ten Hag, but there is one above all others that has been waiting for this moment. One who’s been watching, learning, biding his time. One who knows what it takes to be successful, one who understands what it means to be loyal to the badge, and one who has felt the glory of bringing the biggest prize in European football back to Manchester United. 

Step forward… 

IMG_8723.jpeg

:crylaugh:

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Haha 4

Â