Manchester United

BOF

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Of course they don't have a winner's mentality, but people are losing perspective too.  First things first.  Lingard is a monumental **** bellend.  An incurable clearing in the woods of the highest order.  But that's all he is.  As I saw a tweet mention earlier, he's not intentionally breaking someone's leg on the pitch, he's not beating up his girlfriend, he's not assaulting fans and he's not screwing a team-mate's wife.  All things done by the players people still hark back to.  Because those players were winners, so that's 'different'.  The problem today is the disconnect between the likes of JLingz and what he does on the pitch.  And the wage doesn't help either.  He's a simpleton who grew up cossetted from the real world.  But he's not a monster.  I think a lot of it is jealousy.  I'd say he's having a ball; the pea-brained f*cknugget.

* envy 

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t disagree with what you’re saying @BOF.

I think my post is more of a clumsy general critique of Man Utd than it really is of Lingard. I don’t care at all what him, Pogba or anyone does on Instagram or Twitter, he can say “beans beans beans” all he likes. As long as it’s not offensive it shouldn’t really be a talking point.

You’d still have the grumpy old men complaining about it, but this sort of thing wouldn’t be used as a stick to hit him with if he was playing well/they were winning things. 

The examples you allude to - Cantona kicking a supporter, Keane’s hard man challenges, Giggs’ affair etc...are obviously all demonstrably worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with what you’re saying @BOF.

I think my post is more of a clumsy general critique of Man Utd than it really is of Lingard. I don’t care at all what him, Pogba or anyone does on Instagram or Twitter, he can say “beans beans beans” all he likes. As long as it’s not offensive it shouldn’t really be a talking point.

You’d still have the grumpy old men complaining about it, but this sort of thing wouldn’t be used as a stick to hit him with if he was playing well/they were winning things. 

The examples you allude to - Cantona kicking a supporter, Keane’s hard man challenges, Giggs’ affair etc...are obviously all demonstrably worse.

And mine is more a critique of the football fan.  Win me things and I'll turn a blind eye to pretty much everything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

And mine is more a critique of the football fan.  Win me things and I'll turn a blind eye to pretty much everything.

Yeah there is that mindset, obviously not everywhere but it does exist. There are probably a fair few who think like that without realising.

I like to think I’d consider Lingard as a bit of a prick with or without the video or whether or not he won the PFA player of the year.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah there is that mindset, obviously not everywhere but it does exist. There are probably a fair few who think like that without realising.

I like to think I’d consider Lingard as a bit of a prick with or without the video or whether or not he won the PFA player of the year.

I'd say that mindset is in the vast majority of fans.  Hell, even I've done a u-turn on Mings.  He can stand on as many heads as he wants if he's a great Premier League defender for Villa.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The video in itself is nothing to get outraged about.

But you imagine that this “bantz” attitude is present a lot more at the club now than it ever was under Fergie. Players more bothered about appearing like top lads on their Instagram accounts, I can easily imagine it spilling over into the time they’re meant to be acting professional. 

Imagine Lingard acting in anyway like that in the dressing room with Roy Keane there.

I don’t mean to sound all old school “kids these days” there, but as much as I disliked Man Utd back then, they had a proper professional winner’s mentality, they don’t have that now, certainly not to the same extent.

Keane would have filled him in. Rightly so. 

If they were still winning then people wouldn't care about what they do but as they are average, everything is magnified and scrutinised. Like you say, he seems to care more about his online persona. Plus he has his clothes label. Sorry, if i'm Man Utd and paying you £120k a week then you concentrate on football and nothing else. 

• Like 2

Wow I read about the video earlier and thought it was really bad “they are a disgrace” “fergie would never have allowed this” etc... it’s absolutely nothing. It’s the little prick Lingard, being a little prick. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wow I read about the video earlier and thought it was really bad “they are a disgrace” “fergie would never have allowed this” etc... it’s absolutely nothing. It’s the little prick Lingard, being a little prick. 

Exactly, all this when Keane was there rubbish... you mean like the times Fergie had to fetch him from Jail after a night of excess. Just a bunch of young lads being a bunch of young lads, i,e., clearings in the woods etc. We were all so once.

Edited by villakram
3 cheers for auto-replace!

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Exactly, all this when Keane was there rubbish... you mean like the times Fergie had to fetch him from Jail after a night of excess. Just a bunch of young lads being a bunch of young lads, i,e., clearings in the woods etc. We were all so once.

Agreed, and no doubt players were doing similar under fergie, they just didn’t have social media to publicise it all. 

However, as a caveat, Lingard isn’t that young 

• Like 1

Well as has been fairly pointed out, Ferguson clearly put up with a lot from some of his greatest players, a fair few “shenanigans” to put it kindly (I suppose he’s as guilty as anyone for turning a blind eye as long as games are being won - probably more guilty than most). So maybe Lingard being a dick wouldn’t be that much of an issue for him.

However, Lingard being not particularly good at football along with him being a dick would probably have seen him leave a long time ago if Fergie had been in charge.

I guess to an extent he’s just emblematic of United’s decline.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Agreed, and no doubt players were doing similar under fergie, they just didn’t have social media to publicise it all. 

However, as a caveat, Lingard isn’t that young 

Lingard gets a free pass in media for performances as people think he is a kid. Sure some people still think Theo Walcott is a young prospect 😂

11 hours ago, villakram said:

I think that, to put in a metaphor, Keane would have been like the Godfather. A criminal, but a figure that people respect. You might not like him or agree with him, but you don't mess around with him.

Lingard is one of those 'hard boys' that sticks his trousers inside of his socks and goes around saying 'blud' to people around the council estate in a poor neighbourhood. 

Neither is good. But I know which is more likely to be disliked by people. 

Edited by Mic09

Â