Manchester United

BOF

There was a guy on the radio the other day talking about United and their transfers and he mentioned that they had 60 scouts working for the club, 60!!! 

How can they have so many on the books and the fruits of their mega money business is the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred etc. Do they have an input on renewals too? I’d expect they’d be consulted before giving out new contracts to the likes of Young, Smalling,  Jones.

Im thinking this is the main area they need to be looking at to improve going forwards...

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pogba is allegedly about to go on strike to force a move to Real Madrid. 

Would be hard to tell the difference 🤔

I don't think any team would notice losing a player who was involved in only 27 goals.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think any team would notice losing a player who was involved in only 27 goals.

A top flight Conor Hourihane. Stats can cover his general play

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

Pogba staying. That's ole sacked by Christmas so. He is a good bet for first manager to be sacked. 

Agreed, which is unfortunate because I really like Ole. Was a fantastic player who wasn’t physically gifted, but was one of the most intelligent footballers of his generation and seems to be off to a solid start to his managerial career. That Man Ure job is the most poisoned chalice in all of football. Unless you come in and start winning multiple trophies within 2 years, the fan base will hound you out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Agreed, which is unfortunate because I really like Ole. Was a fantastic player who wasn’t physically gifted, but was one of the most intelligent footballers of his generation and seems to be off to a solid start to his managerial career. That Man Ure job is the most poisoned chalice in all of football. Unless you come in and start winning multiple trophies within 2 years, the fan base will hound you out. 

You do know it’s not the start of his managerial career? Was useless at Cardiff. 

Agreed with the sentiments of him as player though 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You do know it’s not the start of his managerial career? Was useless at Cardiff. 

Agreed with the sentiments of him as player though 

He's been fantastic at Molde in both his spells there.  I don't think many people would have succeeded at Cardiff with that squad they had and the limited resources available to him at the time.  I still rate him as a manager.  

21 minutes ago, KMitch said:

That Man Ure job is the most poisoned chalice in all of football. Unless you come in and start winning multiple trophies within 2 years, the fan base will hound you out. 

Seems like a bit of an exaggeration? 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Seems like a bit of an exaggeration? 

Is it though?  The fans have turned on every manager they've had since Fergie retired.  Ole may get a little more leeway because he's a club legend, but he'll only get so far before all the plastic fans start demanding that he isn't good enough.  Mourinho's departure really was a travesty, IMO.  Last season just proved that he wasn't lying when he said his greatest achievement as a manager was finishing 2nd with THAT squad.  

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Is it though?  The fans have turned on every manager they've had since Fergie retired.  Ole may get a little more leeway because he's a club legend, but he'll only get so far before all the plastic fans start demanding that he isn't good enough.  Mourinho's departure really was a travesty, IMO.  Last season just proved that he wasn't lying when he said his greatest achievement as a manager was finishing 2nd with THAT squad.  

Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona are worse maybe both Milan teams too

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Maybe we just encounter different United fans, but most of the ones I've seen recently have kind of given up on their confident belief that they're automatically entitled to be the best team in the country and accepted that they're going to be comparatively shit for a couple of years. Maybe I've just gotten lucky in who I've met. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing criticism of Jose, things like “he’s just not a Man Utd manager”. I can only assume they mean he’s not Alex Ferguson. Or Matt Busby. Otherwise I’m not quite sure what the criteria of a “Man Utd manager” is. Whatever it is, I think they thought they were getting that with OGS because he played for them, but doesn’t look like it’s going to work out again.

A while back (maybe LVG era) I was involved in a WhatsApp chat and when asked what they actually expected from the club, one Man Utd fan basically said he wanted an exciting side that could be compared to the ‘99 and ‘08 teams. So essentially he just wants a side good enough to win the champions league. Not too much to ask.

There are plenty of genuinely decent Man Utd fans out there, but there’s a whole generation (maybe two) who in large parts are only just realising how good they had it.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe we just encounter different United fans, but most of the ones I've seen recently have kind of given up on their confident belief that they're automatically entitled to be the best team in the country and accepted that they're going to be comparatively shit for a couple of years. Maybe I've just gotten lucky in who I've met. 

I live in the USA...  Liverpool & Man Ure fan attitudes from 10 years ago have completely swapped places.  One laughing at the other for being shit and a shambolic club and the other being an entitled bunch of whiners, who expect based on history and the size of the club to win the Premier League every season.  IDK...  Maybe it's just because everyone here in the USA has been following the Premier League for less than a dozen years and don't have that much history invested in the clubs they support and have unrealistic expectations.  As an example, every Arsenal fan I knew 2 years ago bitched non-stop about how Arsene needed to retire and wasn't good enough for them.  

Â