Manchester United

BOF

He wouldnt be best player we had at Villa in my lifetime but he was definitely the most exciting, he made things happen

In an era of headless English wingers he really was an exception and dangerous on either foot. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

No We have had better players in the past but I never understood the Milner love and Young hate when Young did it for a much longer period at Villa and served the club really well. 

I'm sure a part of it was people getting fed up with his diving.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

No We have had better players in the past but I never understood the Milner love and Young hate when Young did it for a much longer period at Villa and served the club really well. 

I think Milner was simply a much more likeable player. Young was great under MON, but in his last season or two his crossing and corners went to shit, and that dive when he came back to Villa Park hardly did him any favours did it?

FWIW, I thought Barry, Laursen and Petrov were better in that era :)

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I think Milner was simply a much more likeable player. Young was great under MON, but in his last season or two his crossing and corners went to shit, and that dive when he came back to Villa Park hardly did him any favours did it?

I thought Young's final season under Houillier was pretty poor. He played "in the hole" and was far less effective than he had been on the left wing. The rumor was he wanted to play a number 10 role and playing him there was meant to entice him to stay - he was also captain for a good many games.

By Christmas it was an open secret that he'd agreed to go to Utd and his heart wasn't in it. Knowing what we know now about the behind the scenes of Lerner regime it's hard to hold that against him. 

I think the dive you refer too was actually at Old Trafford against Ciaran Clarke. At least that was the one I could never forgive him for.
Apologies but this is best quality video I could find.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Milner was only here 2 seasons compared to Young and clearly wanted out in 2010 and wasnt afraid to hint it in the media

I always find the milner love compared to GB and Young disgusting

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Milner was only here 2 seasons compared to Young and clearly wanted out in 2010 and wasnt afraid to hint it in the media

I'm glad we agree on something Zatman. Milner was quick enough to jump ship. So Young had one average season, in which he actually scored 7 league goals.  I don't care about the dive against us because he was a man u player then and they pay his wages. Its what he did for us that matters. Milner I never warmed to. We were only every a stepping stone for him 

Edited by PaulC

Young was one of those players who just had to play all the time. 

Even if he was wank for 89 minutes he had that magic that could produce something in that remaining 1 minute. 

Really exciting player for us. 

Its a shame really that he didn’t go to a club where he could be a regular. Feels like he slipped off the radar a bit once he went to United. 

• Like 3

Young was consistently better over his Villa career but I felt Milner had a higher ceiling. The year before he left when he played central, he was outstanding 

• Like 1

I didn't watch the game but Young was getting a bit of stick on the radio this morning.

They were saying that inspite of getting a warm reception from the Watford fans, he gave it the big one cupping his ears to them after scoring.  

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

They were saying that inspite of getting a warm reception from the Watford fans, he gave it the big one cupping his ears to them after scoring.  

He's always had that element of being a complete word removed 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Disgusting?! :crylaugh:

Milner was just a solid pro - never kicked up a fuss at all (I don't remember anything in the media?!).  The reason Young doesn't get quite as much love is that he was a cheat - even for us at times.  Great player, but just not as likeable.

There's no way Milner gets more love than Barry, btw.  No idea where that has come from.

Â