Manchester United

BOF

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I know statistically they're the best defence but in reality how good is your back four if your GK is deservedly winning of the season?

Oh Rojo is hopeless and Smalling and Blind is nowhere near a title winning CB partnership. I thought Valencia was MOTM on Saturday, he seems to have done well in the RB position lately.

Of course they'll need to be a clear out but don't forget there are marginalized players there Mourinho can get more out of....number 1 I think is Morgan Schnderlien. I thought he'd be a top signing for them but another who seems to be a victim of LVG's philosophy. Mourinho giving him a clearly defined role in the team and he can be as good as he was at Southampton where he was a very good midfield player.

Apparently going to have £300m to spend.... They've always been up there with the highest spenders, but the media will have you believe that it's only city and Chelsea that spunk money away.  Didn't LVG spend about £500 m in 2 yrs?

Mourinho will definitely have them challenging for the title 

With the young attacking talent they have it wont take much to turn them into title challengers. He's coming in at the right time and he knows it!

I think English football will dominate in the next few years. 

Edited by PaulC

I think they need to sign a top, established striker and better attacking quality/ pace in midfield to challenge. Despite having statistically the best defence in the league I think they could do with a quality centre half, LVG had them set up extremely defensively as a unit right through the team, a slight deviation from that will have the likes of Smalling getting exposed more. 

I think there's work to do, they need a bit of a clear out and they need to make significant signings through the spine of the team. 

• Like 1

By all accounts José has been hankering for the UTD gig for some time now so it will be interesting to see if he changes his ways now he has his "dream job"

If he carries on neglecting youth players (especially lads like Lingard (sp?) And Rashford), sulking in the media and playing his dour style, i really can't see him lasting more than 2 seasons. At the moment they just want to be challenging again and I'm sure they don't care about those things, but once they are (and I'm sure they will be with José), those niggles will start setting in. 

José is a very clever bloke though and will surely know those things, so it will be down to whether or not his ego allows him to change, there are only so many "elite jobs" out there so he can't keep spitting his dummy out every 2yrs. Its going to be fascinating to see if he can adjust his personality because failing at UTD (with the huge budget he is likely to have) after being sacked in his previous 2 jobs could really give his reputation a battering. 

1. Quote

Managers have a "ludicrous" lifespan in football, says Hull boss Steve Bruce.

Louis van Gaal became the 56th manager to be sacked in England's top four divisions this season when he was dismissed by Manchester United.

"Football is a changing world and the one thing about managers now is we get used to getting the sack," said Bruce.

The former Manchester United captain, now managing his seventh club, added: "The lifespan of a manager is 13-14 months, which is ludicrous isn't it?"

Speaking to BBC Radio 4 earlier in May, League Managers Association boss Richard Bevan said the 2015-16 campaign had been "the worst season ever" for managerial departures.

He claimed 54 managers had been sacked at that point. Since that interview, Blackpool have dismissed Neil McDonald and Van Gaal has left Old Trafford.

"Always when a manager loses his job, whether it's Louis van Gaal or even Jose Mourinho this year, then you wonder how crazy the world is," said Bruce.

Bruce will oversee his 201st match in charge of Hull when they take on Sheffield Wednesday in Saturday's Championship play-off final at Wembley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36373227

Steve Bruce.
Who walked out on Sheffield, Huddersfield, Palace, Birmingham and Wigan.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

United, City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester, Chelsea, and Liverpool all want top 4. Throw West Ham into that as well. 8 teams fighting for 4 spots next season. I think a couple of high profile managers will get sacked. 

I think this will be the top 4 (no particular order): Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal

8 hours ago, gharperr said:

explain the mikel revenge? because i dont know what it is

Mikel was originally meant to move to Man UTD, I think he had actually signed a pre-contract with them and he was legally meant to move there. But then Chelsea came in and offered him more money and his head was turned, IIRC.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Mikel was originally meant to move to Man UTD, I think he had actually signed a pre-contract with them and he was legally meant to move there. But then Chelsea came in and offered him more money and his head was turned, IIRC.

...but how is this Chelsea getting revenge on Man Utd?

The pinched Mikel off United and now they're holding United/Jose to ransom over his image rights which they own. Chelsea 2 MU 0.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

...but how is this Chelsea getting revenge on Man Utd?

The pinched Mikel off United and now they're holding United/Jose to ransom over his image rights which they own. Chelsea 2 MU 0.

because they were stuck with him despite him being crap ;)

though suppose their own fault for keep giving him new contracts 

Â