Manchester United

BOF

To be fair, he's ambitious, can't knock him for that. He could easily sit at United, take the demotion, and eventually walk into the manager's job there. Leaving United is throwing a lot of caution to the wind. The most likely outcome is that he fails and then never becomes United manager on account of doing shite else where.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He could easily sit at United, take the demotion, and eventually walk into the manager's job there.

I don't think they'd take the risk with him.  I think the longer he sits in the wings at United, the further he gets from the manager's seat.  Especially now that the old guard's power has been slashed with the appointment of Mourinho.  Ferguson and Charlton are now very much spectators rather than the dictators they were, and would have continued to be with Giggs in charge.

• Like 2

Agree.

I think this or before LVG was appointed were Giggs' chances to get the job.

I think the longer he stays there the less chance he has of getting it now.

His only chance, if he really wants the job, is to prove himself elsewhere and then get appointed through merit.

I doubt he'll do that though.

• Like 1

The advantage he has is that if he does go down low and shows an aptitude for managament, his status within the game means he'll come back up to the top tier in no time.  There'll be no time spent in the doldrums for him.  He'll either fly or drown.  And even if he drowns he's likely to continue getting offers in the lower levels for longer than a no-mark would.  Basically he has every opportunity to succeed in management as long as he goes about it the right way.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

The advantage he has is that if he does go down low and shows an aptitude for managament, his status within the game means he'll come back up to the top tier in no time.  There'll be no time spent in the doldrums for him.  He'll either fly or drown.  And even if he drowns he's likely to continue getting offers in the lower levels for longer than a no-mark would.  Basically he has every opportunity to succeed in management as long as he goes about it the right way.

How far down in the leagues are we thinking he'd drop to? I mean if he's been hanging around Old Trafford thinking he'd just have to bide his time to get the Man Utd job, it suggests to me that he wouldn't want to prove himself at a club too far down the pecking order. 

How many top players actually drop down though. I think Teddy Sheringham is in League 2 then was Davids, Ince and maybe include Merse at Walsall. others that go into management usually go in high up 

if G.Nev first job was valencia (obviously with connections), then i think giggs will easily get a job in championship in the next year or two. Some team will take a punt on him

Edited by gharperr

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Giggs could get a championship job tbh, i mean look at blackburn they just appointment owe coyle for gods sake

Oh he could get one alright.  He might even get a lower end Premier League job.  But he shouldn't go for it, is the point being made.  Much better to make your mistakes as much out of the limelight as is possible for someone of his status to be.  Then come back up once the rough edges have been removed.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Oh he could get one alright.  He might even get a lower end Premier League job.  But he shouldn't go for it, is the point being made.  Much better to make your mistakes as much out of the limelight as is possible for someone of his status to be.  Then come back up once the rough edges have been removed.

Do you think he would actually be a good manager? Its like Liverpool fans thinking Gerrard could've taken over from Rodgers as manager, but he would be a terrible manager, I feel the same for Giggs, why would United fans want Giggs as their manager when they can pretty much get any other top world class manager?

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

How many top players actually drop down though. I think Teddy Sheringham is in League 2 then was Davids, Ince and maybe include Merse at Walsall. others that go into management usually go in high up 

Hasselbaink. 

2 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Do you think he would actually be a good manager? Its like Liverpool fans thinking Gerrard could've taken over from Rodgers as manager, but he would be a terrible manager, I feel the same for Giggs, why would United fans want Giggs as their manager when they can pretty much get any other top world class manager?

I said this above.

I hope he has the sense to go low enough in the footballing ladder and work his way back up.  I'm not going to call his managerial ability here and now.  He might bomb.  He might not.  But he will bomb if he bites off more than he can chew too soon, as have so many before him.  If he does it the right way then it'll be interesting to see his progress.

Fact is no-one knows. 

Man Utd has been his only football education. If he is to become a top manager he needs to learn in different environments, even Zidane and Pep had managed the second teams in a proper league (unlike our old reserve league). If he is good enough, he'll rise back to the top and take over utd in a few years time.

On 02/06/2016 at 20:54, AndyBM said:

just looks like giggs is expecting to have a big job handed to him on a plate just because he was a loyal footballer.

Pity he wasn't a loyal brother. 

• Like 4

On 2 June 2016 at 20:54, AndyBM said:

just looks like giggs is expecting to have a big job handed to him on a plate just because he was a loyal footballer.

You can't really say Giggs was a loyal footballer, a loyal footballer was someone like LeTissier, playing for a small club and turning down bigger clubs to stay there, for Giggs, being a top player at the biggest club of the time anywhere else would of been a step down for him, the loyalty was shown by Utd in keeping him. 

• Like 2

Id be worried if Giggs was my manager, bet the players in his squad all keep their wags locked away at home.

Cant stand him, proper scumbag. Hope he fails big time and has to crawl away and hide. Word removed.

2 hours ago, hycus-flange said:

You can't really say Giggs was a loyal footballer, a loyal footballer was someone like LeTissier, playing for a small club and turning down bigger clubs to stay there, for Giggs, being a top player at the biggest club of the time anywhere else would of been a step down for him, the loyalty was shown by Utd in keeping him. 

Yep, memory is hazy but I do not remember too many teams trying to sign Giggs, because of course, he was at a top club. He was strongly linked to Inter at one point in the early/mid 2000's, a period where he form fell off a cliff (I think around the time of that hilarious open goal miss against Arsenal in the FA Cup), but Inter would have been a step down for him. 

4 hours ago, hycus-flange said:

Indeed. Steve Bull was another. I think he turned down Villa twice (under Taylor mk1 and Atkinson). He could have been the difference between coming second twice in about four seasons and winning the league. 

Although a cynic may say that it wasn't loyalty that kept him at Wolves, it was a fear of challenging himself at the very top level

Â