Manchester United

BOF

19 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's sad. In Argentina they use terms like "blackie" and "Black monkey" very casually to the point that the people who say it truly do not think it's racist.

Would Garnacho have used two gorillas on a Twitter post about De Gea? Doubt it.

The post is dripping in idiotic racism. Onana's heart probably sunk when he saw the post but is probably trying to just make the whole thing go away by downplaying it.

Onana has come out and defended him and said he understood what he meant

Edited by Zatman

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Onana has come out and defended him and said he understood what he meant

I assume that's so one of his team mates doesn't get fined and suspended. Be different if it was someone else I imagine. Or maybe he considers that mild compared to what he would have put up with in Italy. 

On 18/10/2023 at 14:33, MrBlack said:

I'd probably have Moreno over Shaw as well. 

Theres also barely anything between Torres and Varane, with Torres having the benefit that he's getting better, not worse at this stage of his career. 

You could argue Hojlund is going to be better than Watkins at some stage.

Basically though, I would laugh in the face of anyone that questioned whether we would swap teams with them. We've definitely come a very long way in a relatively short space of time.

Rashford is better than Bailey/Zaniola/Diaby. 
Who is their RB? Maybe better than Cash?

It’s funny though, this same team finished fourth last season and will still finish top 4-6 this season. They always do.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

They’ve agreed a £60m shirt sponsor for next season and a £90m a year kit manufacturer.  Just those 2 things are almost as much as Villa’s entire revenue including TV money.

Yeah that’s crazy and shows what we are competing with that said every team only gets to field 11 players and the way a club in run is so important to getting the team right on the pitch. For example they are paying Sancho 15.5m a year right now and have completely outcasted him. As much as other clubs will want him they won’t be paying anywhere near that. 

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Based on what? His haircut?

Based on racist social media posts.

And his on-pitch demeanor which rubs me the wrong way.

Something about his face, too.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Based on racist social media posts.

And his on-pitch demeanor which rubs me the wrong way.

Something about his face, too.

Onana approved his post so not sure how its an issue

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Equating players of African descent to primates is essentially the number one trademark of racist football fans wherever they make themselves known.

My gut tells me Onana just wanted to bury it quickly in order to save himself from further humiliation. 

I could be very wrong, of course. And it's Onana's prerogative to deal with it how he sees fit. I just think he probably just wants it to go away, and I can't blame him.

Garnacho is either racist, immensely stupid, or both. 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Garnacho is either racist, immensely stupid, or both. 

I think it's a very peculiar cultural blindspot for some Latin Americans. Despite the racism inherent in the post, I can't be certain Garnacho is in fact a racist himself, or even stupid. I'd like to think he's just ignorant of the connotations and as an Argentinian, he's using the monkey/gorilla label in an "affectionate" way- and that's the blindspot they have- or at least it's an attitude and practice that is out of step with what is considered acceptable in the Anglosphere and Scandinavia, among some other places, including Africa, obviously. 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Equating players of African descent to primates is essentially the number one trademark of racist football fans wherever they make themselves known.

My gut tells me Onana just wanted to bury it quickly in order to save himself from further humiliation. 

I could be very wrong, of course. And it's Onana's prerogative to deal with it how he sees fit. I just think he probably just wants it to go away, and I can't blame him.

I don't think after his teammate made an incredible save in the last minute of a near must win game he's knowingly subjected him to racist abuse to be vicious for whatever reason.

The kid is just a legit moron.

Jesus what a mess, people trying to normalise casual racism. It's not just  about Onana it's how everyone thinks about it, can we all start posting it on Onanas wall? How about other black players are they going to now accept it as well? 

Needs to apologise and move on.

As for manures commercial prowess,  it won't last after a few seasons of mediocre football,  scandals. Even now they look like a car crash, just like they did before AF came in and only that type of manager can turn them around from the cliff they are standing on.

Casual fans will have their attention turned. Watch our commercial revenue increase over the next few seasons as theirs declines. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Even now they look like a car crash, just like they did before AF came in and only that type of manager can turn them around from the cliff they are standing on.

Have their fans started saying "We should get that Emery off Villa, he'd jump at the chance to come to us" yet? 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

As for manures commercial prowess,  it won't last after a few seasons of mediocre football,  scandals. 

Casual fans will have their attention turned. Watch our commercial revenue increase over the next few seasons as theirs declines. 

The £90m a year kit manufacturing deal they’ve just signed is a £900m 10 year deal.  There will be no drop in revenue even if they finished 8th for 5 years in a row.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the ideal situation when you get something like this Garnacho/Onana incident is that the offending party realises it's a mistake, apologises, and learns from it. Presumably he wasn't trying to be malicious, and Onana doesn't seem to have taken it that way. But to get to the ideal, optimal outcome of 'learned from his mistakes and now won't do it again' you really do need to a) make clear in very strong terms that this isn't acceptable, and then b) take his apology at face value and move on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Have their fans started saying "We should get that Emery off Villa, he'd jump at the chance to come to us" yet? 

Not yet, Emerys to clever for that anyway, he would see the car crash and run from it I'm sure.

Tbh with Man City and Newcastle both having unlimited funds Manure are never going to be what they were, its history, just like our dominance in years gone by. We all have pre built opinions on Manure after their years of success. The younger supporters haven't got that bias, Manure to them don't win things anymore and won't in the near future. 

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Equating players of African descent to primates essentially the number one trademark of racist football fans wherever they make themselves known.

Just FYI, all humans are primates ;)

On 27/10/2023 at 10:50, maqroll said:

It's sad. In Argentina they use terms like "blackie" and "Black monkey" very casually to the point that the people who say it truly do not think it's racist.

Would Garnacho have used two gorillas on a Twitter post about De Gea? Doubt it.

The post is dripping in idiotic racism. Onana's heart probably sunk when he saw the post but is probably trying to just make the whole thing go away by downplaying it.

Have Buendia or Martinez ever done the same thing to Ramsey or Watkins, I doubt it.. using the "it's ok in South America" defence is just making it worse... some folks are just racist and no amount of bending the knee or patches on shirts is gonna change it...

Â