VillaGoMarching

On 29/05/2022 at 17:31, Mic09 said:

Always has!

Really? I'm sure around 2016/17 it was suggested 4th place had to qualify. I honestly didn't know it never happened as I'm sure I recall an English team in a CL qualifier...am I really making that up ?

8 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Certainly splashing the cash again this year. I'd put there spending close to 100 Mill now with Richarlison. 

Add that to last year's 150 mill odd (kula, Bentacancur, Romero, Saar, Gill, Royal, Gollini). 

And not alot of money from transfers out. 

They've got CL earnings to offset them against.  Football is broken. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Really? I'm sure around 2016/17 it was suggested 4th place had to qualify. I honestly didn't know it never happened as I'm sure I recall an English team in a CL qualifier...am I really making that up ?

Was changed about 2018 so top leagues get automatic qualification. Went from top 2,then top 3 now they all do

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was changed about 2018 so top leagues get automatic qualification. Went from top 2,then top 3 now they all do

But did any outside the top 2 or top 3 go via the qualifying rounds at the time it was that way?

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They seeded the playoffs so that actual champions played actual champions, called it the champions path and the league path, as a result the liklihood of PL playing la liga increased, I can remember Everton finishing 4th and getting villarreal for example, UEFA can't have that can they, big teams not making the group stage, so they rejigged it

They still have the full champion playoff but the league playoff is reduced as the top 4 leagues automatically get 4 spots 

@MrBlack yeah for about 10 years! But they were usually shit games with the PL teams, I might be wrong here but Everton are the only PL team to lose one, someone's played a German team at least once, other than that instantly forgettable games 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Spurs are making great signings. I really rate Richarlison, he's just so busy and a bit of a shithouse that you'd hate to play against him. Not gonna be prolific but that's not the point.   Spurs definitely looking to lock in a top four finish again, but their rivals are still Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal rather than Liverpool and Manchester City.  It's still going to be 90+ points for the title and I just can't see Spurs being 15-20 points better than they were last year. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They seeded the playoffs so that actual champions played actual champions, called it the champions path and the league path, as a result the liklihood of PL playing la liga increased, I can remember Everton finishing 4th and getting villarreal for example, UEFA can't have that can they, big teams not making the group stage, so they rejigged it

They still have the full champion playoff but the league playoff is reduced as the top 4 leagues automatically get 4 spots 

@MrBlack yeah for about 10 years! But they were usually shit games with the PL teams, I might be wrong here but Everton are the only PL team to lose one, someone's played a German team at least once, other than that instantly forgettable games 

There you go @Demitri_C, 4th place qualifies automatically since 2018 (not quite always has @Mic09).

Prior to that they had to have a playoff.

Tbh though,  I still didn't know they didn't have to have go via a qualifying round so my knowledge was 4 years out of date 😅

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Newcastle lost a playoff as well before 

Bissouma, Spence and Richarlison all look like fantastic signings to be fair.

They’ve massively upgraded at centre mid and right back and added a great rotation option for Son/Kane/Kulusevski.

Also have brought in Perisic to play LWB, which is an underrated acquisition. 

Lloris, Romero, Son and Kane are already easily amongst the best players (respective to their positions) in the league.

With a great manager too, would bet on them being closer to 2nd than to 4th.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Bissouma, Spence and Richarlison all look like fantastic signings to be fair.

They’ve massively upgraded at centre mid and right back and added a great rotation option for Son/Kane/Kulusevski.

Also have brought in Perisic to play LWB, which is an underrated acquisition. 

Lloris, Romero, Son and Kane are already easily amongst the best players (respective to their positions) in the league.

With a great manager too, would bet on them being closer to 2nd than to 4th.

Impressive signings and Conte is brilliant, but will be still be there in 18 months time? I think the longest he's stayed anywhere is 3 years and he's done 9 teams in 15 years. 

32 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Impressive signings and Conte is brilliant, but will be still be there in 18 months time? I think the longest he's stayed anywhere is 3 years and he's done 9 teams in 15 years. 

While thats true I think Spurs are in a win now mode, Lloris, Kane and Son probably only have 2 seasons at the top left

Dont think the fans would care if he won a trophy and walked away though knowing Levy he would probably sack him before the final to avoid a bonus :P  

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

While thats true I think Spurs are in a win now mode, Lloris, Kane and Son probably only have 2 seasons at the top left

Dont think the fans would care if he won a trophy and walked away though knowing Levy he would probably sack him before the final to avoid a bonus :P  

I think that's Conte's whole model. Win now and walk away before it all implodes. His signings don't appear to be without longevity though which is interesting. 

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I think that's Conte's whole model. Win now and walk away before it all implodes. His signings don't appear to be without longevity though which is interesting. 

I think it's Levy. He's shown it with the Conte and Mourinho appointments, of which neither care about 3/4 years time; they are all about win and quickly.

Levy has presided Spurs from a mid table team / best of the rest to a CL team with huge commercial potential and a world class stadium. All he needs is a trophy to retire into the sunset.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Somebody convince me on Richarlison, he's an average goalscorer and not much for assists.

Certainly a hard worker, I'm open to convincing!

I dont really see it myself. Said same when we were linked but he wouldnt be an upgrade on Ollie for me if we signed him

Spurs have a habit of signing the better players from underachieving clubs but doesn't mean they can step up

Edited by Zatman

Echo the sentiment on Richarlison.

Bissouma and Richarlison to me would be fantastic signings for a side looking to cement a place in the top 8 but top 4 or title challengers, not for me.

Not much change for £100m for those 2 and not sure either get into their starting 11 but I guess that’s how the game is now.

41 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Somebody convince me on Richarlison, he's an average goalscorer and not much for assists.

Certainly a hard worker, I'm open to convincing!

Pain in the backside for opposition defences, he reminds me a bit of Bellamy tbh. Not the best finisher but always causes issues in final third.

Considering he's more of a wide forward his record of usually reaching double figures in prem seasons is pretty good. Can see logic of Spurs signing him given he can be shifted to left if Son is out injured or even fill in as CF when there's no Kane given he was doing that for long periods last season with DCL injured.

• Like 2

Â