VillaGoMarching

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It’s a shame because really Spurs are one of the 2 clubs we need to catch if we want to get into the top 6.

Miles off them I'm afraid again.

Last summer I thought there was a decent chance given Kane was more likely to leave than Grealish at that point and if that had played out I think we could've really pushed on to trying to finish above them.

They have a very good January window adding Kuluveski and Bentancur which was then reflected in their results unlike here.

We'll be 15-20 points off them next season as I fancy them to finish above Chelsea so that would likely mean them hitting 75 + points.

Perhaps summer 2023 will be next chance as Kane will only have 1 year left on his deal then and Son might start to decline a little so they'll have to rebuild in final third and Conte probably won't fancy that.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Miles off them I'm afraid again.

Last summer I thought there was a decent chance given Kane was more likely to leave than Grealish at that point and if that had played out I think we could've really pushed on to trying to finish above them.

They have a very good January window adding Kuluveski and Bentancur which was then reflected in their results unlike here.

We'll be 15-20 points off them next season as I fancy them to finish above Chelsea so that would likely mean them hitting 75 + points.

Perhaps summer 2023 will be next chance as Kane will only have 1 year left on his deal then and Son might start to decline a little so they'll have to rebuild in final third and Conte probably won't fancy that.

Our squad is probably better than theirs but they have something we lack since we sold Grealish, a truly world class talisman that elevates the team. And they have 2 of them! Also doesn't hurt that they have a world class coach that helps in that respect too. Think they would have done well to finish top half under Nuno.

This season is basically a mirror of their 09/10 season when they snuck into the top 4 ahead of City. That solidified them as a perennial top 6 club ahead of City's inevitable ascent. We were right up there with them but fell short and it led to a downward spiral. This time, Newcastle seem to be on a similar rise, and City and Liverpool seem to be tearing away, but getting in Conte, finishing 4th and getting a huge cash injection helps them get back into the pack. Levy gets a lot of shit, but he's been playing a blinder honestly.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's a neutral in the world that thinks our squad is better than Spurs', tbh.

I think you’re right. Although it’d obviously be a lot closer if you take out Kane and Son, you’d still probably take at least most of their midfielders over ours etc. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's a neutral in the world that thinks our squad is better than Spurs', tbh.

Their first 11 is miles better, no sane person on here would argue otherwise.

In recent times though their bench has basically been Joe Rodon, Davidson Sanchez, Harry Winks, Harvey White, Keepers, Dane Scarlett and Lucas Moura so you wouldn't look at that and claim it's miles better at all.

Big thing for them was none of their attackers getting injured in the run in which has impacted them in other seasons.

Edit; Their bench v Arsenal recently had Bergwijn on it aswell (who will likely leave) and also Matthew Craig and Alfie Devine so that's why Conte is demanding 150m + for transfers as he knows they have little chance of going deep in CL and finishing top 4 if they get 2-3 injuries next season.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

I think you’re right. Although it’d obviously be a lot closer if you take out Kane and Son, you’d still probably take at least most of their midfielders over ours etc. 

That's the first 11. Their backup midfield is Harry Winks who certainly wouldn't improve us but basically Bentancur-Hojiberg pivot stayed fit for pretty much every game in run in so he was barely needed.

Can remember them starting him, Hojiberg and Skipp as middle trio at Palace early in the season and Palace demolished them.

I think we have some better playess than them though. Digne is better than sessagnon. Diers shit rather have in form mings any day. Also think cash and Coutinho get in their team.

Id say martinez is almost certainly kn par with lloris.

Spurs are more of a two man team. When kane or espically son is injured they struggle bad

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we have some better playess than them though. Digne is better than sessagnon. Diers shit rather have in form mings any day. Also think cash and Coutinho get in their team.

Spurs are more of a two man team. When kane or espically son is injured they struggle bad

Sessegnon isnt the left back though. Reguillon is better than Digne. 

Bentancur, Kulusevski, Romero, Hojberg walk into our team pkus the front two

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was last time i checked unless regullion injured?

Regullion isn't that much better. Was it last year that regullion was havinga ll kinds of problems against us?

Bentacur wouldnt now we have Kamara. 

TBH Earlier this season, except for Son / Kane, on paper there wasn't a massive difference in quality between the squads (Dier, Emerson, Davies, Hojberg, Winks, Doherty, Bergjin etc).

It's just Conte is an absolute world class manager who has revitalised 4/6 of those, and added 2 really smart signings. Dier, Emerson and Davies would have got nowhere near our first team 6 months ago. Now they walk into it. That's down to Conte.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

TBH Earlier this season, except for Son / Kane, on paper there wasn't a massive difference in quality between the squads (Dier, Emerson, Davies, Hojberg, Winks, Doherty, Bergjin etc).

It's just Conte is an absolute world class manager who has revitalised 4/6 of those, and added 2 really smart signings. Dier, Emerson and Davies would have got nowhere near our first team 6 months ago. Now they walk into it. That's down to Conte.

I agree with this. I think royal davies, dier, sanchez, bergwijn, winks are average players. The manager definitely made a hige difference.  If you think they only added benbacur and Kulusevski.  They were hopeless under nuno

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Conte dosen't rate Reguillon much, he's always getting knocks and indeed Matt Doherty was filling in ahead of him for about two months out of position.

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

All of the pundits on Talk Sport thought so before we lost at their place this season, we had just beat Mau U away the week before

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Harry Kane was on Jimmy Fallon

Spurs have done really well marketing themselves in the states haven't they? 

Bet alot of people over there had no idea who he was 

• Haha 1

On 25/05/2022 at 10:50, Demitri_C said:

i think they have two major differences compared to us imo.

1) Elite striker(s).

2) powerful midfield (competent on the ball, but also powerful).

Other than that, i dont think there is a huge gap.

Although, tbf, elite striker(s) and a powerful midfield, is of itself, absolutely a massively huge difference.

• Like 1

Â