Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ha ha!

There is no way its bread and cookies. It’s gag reflex awful outside some of their shops, proper putrid.

No.. it really is. It's the only thing they bake on site. Obviously some of the bread has herbs and spices and stuff on so it's the smell of that all baking. But that's it.

I mean what else could it be? They don't cook anything else

35 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Are people walking past subways in the morning and think they stink? Because I admit the sausage and egg doesn't smell brilliant, but it just smells like lovely sandwiches to me most of the time. 

I'm OK with the smell these days but I had a bad experience with a sub called Seafood Sensation and for several years I couldn't face going in or even walking past a Subway due to the smell bringing back bad memories.  I got over it by being so hungry and there being no other option available that I went in and remembered actually they're pretty decent sandwiches.

• Like 1

How the **** do you make cookies or a baguette smell like you packed some road kill with old cooking fat and shoved behind the extractor fan when you closed last week? Genuinely like bin juice on a warm day. It’s the sort of smell that is supposed to trigger the evolutionary ‘uh oh, don’t eat that shit’ reflex.

That’s quite impressive in its own way if they can warm up dough and get that smell.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

How the **** do you make cookies or a baguette smell like you packed some road kill with old cooking fat and shoved behind the extractor fan when you closed last week? Genuinely like bin juice on a warm day. It’s the sort of smell that is supposed to trigger the evolutionary ‘uh oh, don’t eat that shit’ reflex.

That’s quite impressive in its own way if they can warm up dough and get that smell.

Just smells like herby bread to me. I'd specifically say the Italian Herbs and Cheese variation. Layer the sweet smell of the cookies on top and I'd guess those are your two main culprits

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah there's a Starbucks taste thats every bit as recognisable and distinct as the Subway smell

It's like the rancid milk taste of Hershey's chocolate. 

Subway does have a distinctive smell. It's that weird mix of herbs, dressings, and warmed cold meats that gives off a very pungent odour. I can see why it would turn some people off.

My biggest query with Subway is why it seems to, 9/10 times you eat it, go through you like a greased greyhound. I'm someone with a dodgy stomach at the best of times but I can eat and enjoy a Subway and 2hrs later it's leaving my body at speed. It's like they wrap up a laxative in a baguette. 

25 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's like the rancid milk taste of Hershey's chocolate. 

I think this for me is like how some people taste coriander in a different way. I love the taste of Hershey's. 

Edited by Seat68

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think this for me is like how some people taste coriander in a different way. I love the taste of Hershey's. 

Yeah, both Hersey's and coriander have both been ruined for me since it was pointed out they taste like vomit and soap respectively. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No.. it really is. It's the only thing they bake on site. Obviously some of the bread has herbs and spices and stuff on so it's the smell of that all baking. But that's it.

I mean what else could it be? They don't cook anything else

Ireland's food safety authority deemed Subway couldn't call it "bread" due to the sugar content of the stuff. Not sure what the outcome was, if they've since called it something else or changed the recipe.

All this talk of coffee has reminded me, it’s August and I don’t think I’ve had this year’s cup of tea yet.

Plenty of time though.

You are bound to need to visit some really old people in the run up to Xmas

Two chores for the price of one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ireland's food safety authority deemed Subway couldn't call it "bread" due to the sugar content of the stuff. Not sure what the outcome was, if they've since called it something else or changed the recipe.

I don’t think that’s quite true. They couldn’t claim it as a staple food because it had too much sugar to be legally defined as bread. I’m not sure they were banned from calling it bread. 

FWIW a 6in subway baguette contains about the same amount of sugar (5g) as two digestive biscuits. And less than a McDonald’s burger bun. So it’s not like it’s syrup 😂

• Like 2

@chrisp65

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dz975/subway-what-the-hell-is-that-smell

Subway has a one-of-a-kind smell. It’s that sweet, herby, bready scent that wafts in such pungent clouds that you don’t even need to go inside a store to smell it. Just walking past a Subway is enough. You’ll be strolling down a footpath when suddenly you’ll find yourself feeling disgusted or hungry, depending on how you feel about Subway.

But what is it? Seriously, what exactly is going on in Subway that makes that smell? Is it their bread? Their Salami? Do they have Subway-flavoured Ambi Pur fresheners that squirt the scent into the air? Just what the **** are they doing?

TL;DR

Spoiler

Subway’s smell is—wait for it—the bread and cookies baking together!

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Well, there you go.

I’ve never gone inside a Subway, because of the putrid smell outside. A lot of the anticipation of taste is smell, they’ve chosen the smell of warm bin juice.

And for that reason, I’m out.

• Like 3

Well, there you go.

I’ve never gone inside a Subway, because of the putrid smell outside. A lot of the anticipation of taste is smell, they’ve chosen the smell of warm bin juice.

And for that reason, I’m out.

I've said this before, Subway staff smell worse than any other Fast Food outlets staff. We used to have accounts to take their staff home years ago and Subway were always the worst, that Subway smell gets everywhere. Rank, I've picked up more pleasantly fragrant homeless people

Â