Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

my mates got the kershaw hitler book on Audible, been years since ive read it gave my copy away, got me in the mood, i've got a free Audible trial with amazon so i signed up...i have to pay £25 to listen to that book? and then £8 a month to continue after the free trial?

royce o'neale nonsense GIF by Utah Jazz

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my mates got the kershaw hitler book on Audible, been years since ive read it gave my copy away, got me in the mood, i've got a free Audible trial with amazon so i signed up...i have to pay £25 to listen to that book? and then £8 a month to continue after the free trial?

Audible is a complete nonstarter for me. You'd have to spend an awful lot of time listening to a great many books to get your money's worth. 

I started listening to a lot of podcasts and I've almost burned myself out on them so the idea of it works

But I wrongly expected it to be some sort of Spotify for books, there's a lot of free stuff on there but the frustration of it not being the one you actually want would be too much for me 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You get 1 credit each month to download an audiobook, I think you could use the one from your free trial to download it. 

• Thanks 1

I'm isolating until Friday, and I'm almost out of beer. Wouldn't bother me, but for the fact there's a Villa game tonight. I've got wine, but it just doesn't go with football. 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm isolating until Friday, and I'm almost out of beer. Wouldn't bother me, but for the fact there's a Villa game tonight. I've got wine, but it just doesn't go with football. 

It does when you're sitting on a couch at home.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Audible is a complete nonstarter for me. You'd have to spend an awful lot of time listening to a great many books to get your money's worth. 

Audiobooks are really expensive and the 'Netflix/Spotify' method just doesn't work for it, unless you were charging £100 a month plus for unlimited listening. 

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well the thing that pisses me off is that I wasted a beer on that match, so swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 09:52, villa4europe said:

I started listening to a lot of podcasts and I've almost burned myself out on them so the idea of it works

But I wrongly expected it to be some sort of Spotify for books, there's a lot of free stuff on there but the frustration of it not being the one you actually want would be too much for me 

20 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

You get 1 credit each month to download an audiobook, I think you could use the one from your free trial to download it. 

It is horifically expensive for what it is.

I have audible and I use it so I can't really complain. But like V4E when I first signed up I expected it to be a Netflix of audio books. £7 a month and as many as you want. Nope. 

I don't understand why it's so expensive. £7 a month gets you unlimited access to a billion films and TV shows on any streaming platform. BUt it gets you ONE book a month on audible. Makes no sense to me

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It is horifically expensive for what it is.

I have audible and I use it so I can't really complain. But like V4E when I first signed up I expected it to be a Netflix of audio books. £7 a month and as many as you want. Nope. 

I don't understand why it's so expensive. £7 a month gets you unlimited access to a billion films and TV shows on any streaming platform. BUt it gets you ONE book a month on audible. Makes no sense to me

This is whats stopping me. 1 book a month is far too little. 

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well the thing that pisses me off is that I wasted a beer on that match, so swings and roundabouts.

First half ice cold stella, second half warm flat Skol 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is whats stopping me. 1 book a month is far too little. 

You may be surprised when I say it's far too much for me. Thing is, 95% of my book consumption is actual reading of physical books. But I like the idea of having an audiobook library on tap for the occasional listen. But I'd want to pay on an 'as and when' basis. No point in paying every month when in any given month I probably wouldn't use it. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You may be surprised when I say it's far too much for me. Thing is, 95% of my book consumption is actual reading of physical books. But I like the idea of having an audiobook library on tap for the occasional listen. But I'd want to pay on an 'as and when' basis. No point in paying every month when in any given month I probably wouldn't use it. 

The opposite for me as I am finding more and more I am not reading where an audiobook would be perfect. 

Sat with my 8 year old son who is doing his school work from home. He's got different questions about Italy, longest river, lakes, mountains, language, currency, population etc

Theres something quite sad about google, and children using it for this. I suppose years ago it would have been encyclopedia, atlases etc. Which is kind of similar but much more challenging and enjoyable I think.

It feels like you'll never need to memorise any of these sort of things as presumably youll always have google on you?

• Like 1

Yeah I used to have a kids atlas full of fun facts and trivia and then also a fair few map puzzles which I used to love 

I think much like when I was at university it will become more about where to source information from and then how to reference it, that was the main thing about my degree and dissertation, not free thought or opinion, it was the ability to scour the Internet to find something but then make sure it was reliable and then you correctly told the world where you were stealing it from, also known as "don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia" 

Edit - if he likes that kind of thing have a play on sporcle, not sure how easy it will be for him but there's thousands of quizzes on there which will drill the trivia in to him, one for pretty much exactly what you've just described on italy

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Sat with my 8 year old son who is doing his school work from home. He's got different questions about Italy, longest river, lakes, mountains, language, currency, population etc

Theres something quite sad about google, and children using it for this. I suppose years ago it would have been encyclopedia, atlases etc. Which is kind of similar but much more challenging and enjoyable I think.

It feels like you'll never need to memorise any of these sort of things as presumably youll always have google on you?

But what's the difference between looking up the answer on google or looking it up in an encyclopedia? Google is faster?

I think the internet and google gives a huge amount of opportunity for learning that people never had before. When i hear about something now or have a question I can google it and then go down a rabbit hole reading about it. Before google and the internet I wouldn't have been able to do that. Ok if it was a school assignment I'd have to research it, but in general day to day I just wouldn't bother. If I had a question about something I'd think about it for a second and just forget about it. Now I can google it and read loads of stuff about it in seconds.

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But what's the difference between looking up the answer on google or looking it up in an encyclopedia? Google is faster?

I think the internet and google gives a huge amount of opportunity for learning that people never had before. When i hear about something now or have a question I can google it and then go down a rabbit hole reading about it. Before google and the internet I wouldn't have been able to do that. Ok if it was a school assignment I'd have to research it, but in general day to day I just wouldn't bother. If I had a question about something I'd think about it for a second and just forget about it. Now I can google it and read loads of stuff about it in seconds.

It's a fair point. I do wonder whether we retain it better from a book, but I have no real evidence for that. 

Â