Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

This is probably a huge generalisation but it seems the early days of hip hop were full of blokes with something worthy to say, full of social commentary.  Then you compare it to that scissors abortion of a tune that Kortney Hause was on and got posted in his thread, I mean that is an absolute disgrace, if I'm being honest I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it in the past.  I realise there are still rap artists out there with a proper message but I still think there is a catchiness to the old school tunes that is missing now so it's a massive turn off for me.

• Like 2

The evolution of rap and hip hop is very interesting. The origin of the stuff that came to dominate through the 90s and 00s was on really hokey stuff, rapping about movie monsters and stuff. Then slowly the 'gangsta' side of things snuck in, with Dre and Snoop pretending to be gangsters, Tupac flirting with actual gangster stuff, Easy E actually being in that crowd in the first place, and money drawing in the real bastards that then warped the whole scene into a glorification of, as Scroobius Pip put it, 'guns bitches and bling'.

And now the reaction to that with mumble rap where anyone is putting out raw stuff that rejects a lot of the poser angle on favour of something real but equally is just a bit shit.

• Like 1

Public Enemy supported the Stone Roses a few years back when I saw them in Manchester ... a few minutes was all @Risso and I needed before we decided it was time to visit the bar ...  

I was about 10  when Fatback band came along with the first rap and then sugar hill gang closely behind them , white lines was the best song ever for 13 year old me ... then I kinda fell out of love with that genre for whatever reason 

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Public Enemy supported the Stone Roses a few years back when I saw them in Manchester ... a few minutes was all @Risso and I needed before we decided it was time to visit the bar ...  

I was about 10  when Fatback band came along with the first rap and then sugar hill gang closely behind them , white lines was the best song ever for 13 year old me ... then I kinda fell out of love with that genre for whatever reason 

Yeah Tone, I suspect Public Enemy are aimed at a younger generation so not surprising you spent it at the bar. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Before we sentence the deceased, I mean defendant, I think we had better hear from the prosecution...

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Before you deliver your verdict in this case, I would draw to your attention a number of dictionary definitions of the term "music": 

Firstly: "An art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color". I ask you: Can these persons who stand accused before you be said to satisfy these requirements? Rhythm is there in abundance, yes - albeit in crude and repetitive form - but where is the melody? Where the harmony? Aficionados of this genre will, I understand, often refer approvingly to such productions with the approbation "choon!" - which I understand to mean "tune". I put it to you, however, that these gentlemen would not know a tune if it sank its teeth into their considerably overfed buttocks. As for harmony, there is none. 

Secondly: "Any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound". Can you seriously claim, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that such performances meet these requirements in any way, shape or form? 

It has been suggested that the supposed value of such performances lies principally in their lyrical content - that this is in some way (refers to notes) "street poetry". I would refer you to the work of Mister Gil Scott Heron, whose poetic evocations of the black urban experience required little more than the subtle, but yes, "funky", piano of Mister Brian Jackson, thus allowing the lyrics clearly to be heard, without the intrusive sounds of 'samples' and drum machines. (I would also point out that Mister Scott Heron's use of poetic metre extended considerably beyond the seemingly endless rhyming couplets so beloved of rap 'artists'). 

Furthermore, it has been claimed that these crimes against music are in some way a natural development of the jazz, blues and soul traditions. I would say to this: "poppycock!" Can we seriously be expected to compare these puerile rantings to the near-symphonic arrangements of a Duke Ellington composition? To the complex majesty of a John Coltrane solo? To the deep emotion of a Robert Johnson blues? To the irrestistible tunefulness and danceability of a Motown hit? The answer is unequivocably: "NO!" 

So, in summing up, I urge you to consider carefully, and deliver the only possible verdict in this case: Guilty of all charges. 

M'lud, I rest my case. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Bob nasal mumbler Dylan fan, throws stones in glass house.

I should let you know right now, that Mister Dylan has engaged me as his defence counsel for his upcoming trial. I am fully confident that he will be cleared of all charges. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

You lost me at that point :)

Showing no cultural bias against the accused, I merely used their own countrymen's terms to illustrate the point, m'lud. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

where is the melody? Where the harmony?

I have documentary evidence of both harmony and melody, plus incontrovertible proof that the genre has been around since the time of the dinosaurs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Showing no cultural bias against the accused, I merely used their own countrymen's terms to illustrate the point, m'lud. 

my 

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

considerably overfed buttocks

you did

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I have documentary evidence of both harmony and melody, plus incontrovertible proof that the genre has been around since the time of the dinosaurs.

Objection, your honour. This evidence is not (in the opinion of the prosecution) germane to the case. If such late evidence is to be presented without prior warning, I request an adjournment. 

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think if you like hip hop you know that its nuanced, that it can deliver a message, tell a story, and is innovative. Yes, like all genres there is some absolute dog shit, but its not alone in that. 
Hip Hop for me is that genre that gives me something that I don’t get from metal, folk, country or indie, it has its place and if given a chance will give you so much pleasure. 
There are so many different versions of hip hop, its wrong to compare Dave to 2 Live Crew or Megan Thee Stallion to the Jungle Brothers.

Public Enemy were my in into hip hop, politicised, great beats, no ho’s, intricate, clever. Without them and the beastie boys I wouldn’t be listening to hip hop now.  

I could have written that.

100% agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Objection, your honour. This evidence is not (in the opinion of the prosecution) germane to the case. If such late evidence is to be presented without prior warning, I request an adjournment. 

The prosecution case crumbles before our ears 🔨

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

and then sugar hill gang closely behind them , white lines was the best song ever for 13 year old me ...

As a complete aside, I probably own more records recorded by the musicians on White Lines than by any other artists, by a considerable distance. The Sugarhill Records house band shoud be talked about in the same tones as the MGs, Muscle Shoals and the Wrecking Crew

• Confused 1

Â