Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

We are a mish mash with imperial and metric. We measure liquids in ml and litres but sometimes will use pounds and sometimes kg. As for kilometres, can never see that being adopted. 

Thank God they still measure the penis in good old fashioned inches

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

You want to have a look at arguments between the French and French Canadians on French grammar. The Canadians insist their version of French is more "pure" and to be fair they have a point.

Then there's Louisiana Cajun French. 

During the liberation of Europe in 1944, cajun troops in the US army expected to be welcomed with open arms by their long lost cousins. In fact the French were appalled by the way they spoke and tended to look down on them as uneducated oiks. 

• Like 1

The depths to which gambling has sunk its teeth in to sports is a scandal. Players shouldn't be able to bet on games they're involved in, but Trippier has been fined and banned for 10 weeks, for what is allegedly no more than some of his friends finding out that he was moving clubs.

What right does anyone have to prevent you telling people about a huge change to your life like changing countries, with the only justification to protect the profits of this blight on society. If the PFA had any bollocks, and any interets in really protecting its members, this is the kind of thing they ought to be fighting against.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/28/the-kieran-trippier-case-and-why-some-betting-markets-should-not-be-allowed

Only an excerpt, it's quite a long article. Well worth a read, and completely spot on, IMO.

Last week, Kieran Trippier became the latest high-profile player to learn that lesson. An ever-present in the Atlético Madrid team who are top of La Liga, the full-back was fined £70,000 and banned from all football activities for 10 weeks after being found guilty of four breaches of Football Association betting rules related to his transfer from Tottenham to Atlético in July 2019. While the reasons for the judgment have yet to be published, Trippier insists he did not gamble, or encourage or advise anyone else to gamble on his move to the Spanish capital.

While we cannot be certain what exactly happened, it seems he has been found guilty of nothing more serious than revealing to some friends he was moving to Atlético, a revelation that prompted them to place wagers on the relevant betting market safe in the knowledge they were going to make themselves some easy money.

If, as seems likely according to sources close to Trippier, that is what happened he has every right to feel hard done by. Hard done by his idiot friends who ought to have known what they were doing could have serious consequences for their mate and hard done by FA regulations so strict they preclude footballers from telling those closest to them about momentous, life-changing career moves until after they have signed the contract and posed alongside Diego Simeone holding a red and white striped jersey.

We must presume Trippier was at least allowed to keep his wife briefed on his move to the Spanish capital. As the mother of the couple’s young children it probably would have been nice for her to be consulted and kept in the loop. But what, for the sake of argument, if she told somebody close to her? And then they told somebody? And that somebody told a Spurs-supporting somebody else who decided to fill their boots at the expense of the bookies? At what point along this chain of what ought to be fairly inconsequential chatter does the dissemination of information regarding her husband’s imminent transfer stop being his fault?

• Like 1

Celebrity Mastermind - it’s not all one way traffic!

Question this evening: Chuck D Flavor, Flav, and DJ Lord are members of which hip hop group?

I mean, that’s pretty basic knowledge if you have even a passing interest in any music post skiffle.

On 27/12/2020 at 13:57, bickster said:

Now that one is very stupid and worthy of criticism on the grounds that its just wrong. Joke cannot equate to sublime

Well it could have been "the shit", pronoucned not your ma, and not steaming in any way whatsoever.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Celebrity Mastermind - it’s not all one way traffic!

Question this evening: Chuck D Flavor, Flav, and DJ Lord are members of which hip hop group?

I mean, that’s pretty basic knowledge if you have even a passing interest in any music post skiffle.

The dumbing down of Mastermind.  ;)

I don't know the answer, but my guess would be NWA (?) 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The dumbing down of Mastermind.  ;)

I don't know the answer, but my guess would be NWA (?) 

Thats not dumbing down Mike its general knowledge, 2 members of one of the most significant and important hip hop groups and their new DJ. Its Public Enemy by the way, but showing breadth of knowledge isnt dumbing down. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thats not dumbing down Mike its general knowledge, 2 members of one of the most significant and important hip hop groups and their new DJ. Its Public Enemy by the way, but showing breadth of knowledge isnt dumbing down. 

Hence my winking smiley. 

Having said that, the early days of Mastermind were far more academically focused. They absolutely would have thrown out any subjects like TV programmes or pop music (of whatever era). And, personally, I kinda liked that. 

And you'll never cure my contempt for hip hop, anyway. I genuinely don't know what the hell anyone sees in it. But that's a symptom of age - it's exactly what my parents said about the likes of the Rolling Stones. 

• Like 1

It was more the way Humphrys listed the band members....

Chuck D Flavor... slight pause... Flav....slight pause....

Unforgiveable really, imagine if he didn’t understand the names of Greek Gods, or some long dead painter.

As if anyone would be called Chuck D Flavor!

On 27/12/2020 at 18:19, Seat68 said:

Why do we, well others, not me, have a problem with american words entering the language .... @mjmooney in particular hates it. My question is why the British are so offended by americanisation but not from other languages. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

the early days of Mastermind were far more academically focused. They absolutely would have thrown out any subjects like TV programmes or pop music (of whatever era). And, personally, I kinda liked that.

Hates it? I reckon he started it🇺🇸

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It was more the way Humphrys listed the band members....

Chuck D Flavor... slight pause... Flav....slight pause....

Unforgiveable really, imagine if he didn’t understand the names of Greek Gods, or some long dead painter.

As if anyone would be called Chuck D Flavor!

No more stupid than their actual 'names'. And is it any worse than (say) a twenty-something who doesn't know any Greek gods or long-dead painters? 

He's 77, FFS, cut him some slack! (And it sounds like the commas were missing on his question card). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've never heard of any of them tbh. We're comparing some hip hoppers to the classics? :( 

I'm not much of a hip hop fan, but a small subset I do like. Public Enemy have been around for ages, and made some really good music. They're not your "bling and ho's, I'm richer than you and gonna kill you" type of band. Playing something of a Devil's advocate, if whiny Bob Dylan with his moany protest songs ( :P ) can be or is considered a classic artist and so on - I mean it's not that he's a musical genius like Mozart -  then Public Enemy (and the Wu Tang Clan, too for example) can have the same applied to them - long careers, really influential music and lyrics and huge selling artists.

Culture can't and doesn't stand still.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm not much of a hip hop fan, but a small subset I do like. Public Enemy have been around for ages, and made some really good music. They're not your "bling and ho's, I'm richer than you and gonna kill you" type of band. Playing something of a Devil's advocate, if whiny Bob Dylan with his moany protest songs ( :P ) can be or is considered a classic artist and so on - I mean it's not that he's a musical genius like Mozart -  then Public Enemy (and the Wu Tang Clan, too for example) can have the same applied to them - long careers, really influential music and lyrics and huge selling artists.

Culture can't and doesn't stand still.

Anything that happened after about 1920 is modern culture and was probably a mistake ;)

In all seriousness, I'll admit I'm probably just out of touch. I know of Public Enemy, but I couldn't have named any of their songs, and I got about 30 seconds into one of those videos before deciding it definitely wasn't for me. It's obviously not a requirement to enjoy someone's music to acknowledge they're been very influential in their field though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Christ, if that's the case for the defence, the prosecution are going to have a field day. 

Before we sentence the deceased, I mean defendant, I think we had better hear from the prosecution...

• Like 1

Â