Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

There would be a gag in there in older times Involving change for a contraceptive machine

My dad still refers to him (Johnny Cash) as Condom Money 😀

• Like 1

Not an original gripe but anyways...

It appears, judging from the red and black plastic that now adorns every lamppost on my road, that the poppy season has begun with typical subtlety.

Magical time of the year when Halloween, bonfire night, Remembrance Day and Christmas each outdo each other vying for my attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not an original gripe but anyways...

It appears, judging from the red and black plastic that now adorns every lamppost on my road, that the poppy season has begun with typical subtlety.

Magical time of the year when Halloween, bonfire night, Remembrance Day and Christmas each outdo each other vying for my attention.

Don't mix them up and end up burning a wreath of poppies on a bonfire. You'll never survive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Audi 

They still start every text, email and letter to me by calling me the previous owners name. They've obviously updated their email/address/tel numbers for me but haven't changed the name from the previous owner, despite me telling them twice last year over the phone, and in person, when I had my car serviced. My name is even in my email address! 

Reminds me of the Karl Pilkington XFM show when he had a letter... "Dear Mr Dilkington... you are one of our most valued customers"!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Audi 

words removed.

We are all told to lessen our carbon footprint, yet drive past their dealership in Shirley during the night or at 4am in the morning, and it's lit up so bright I bet you can see the **** from outer space.

20 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I must have missed the memo where bought officially became brought, the misuse of the word is so prevalent now sometimes I feel like I’m the one who is wrong.

I hate this. One of my number one pet hates

On 15/10/2020 at 15:40, Seat68 said:

This brings me to a question. No judgement, has anyone here bought themselves a candle in a jar, for themselves, for their own house, off their own back and not part of a list of stuff to buy dictated by a female.  

Yes.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My new one is 'bias' instead of 'biased'. 

'Bias' is a noun. The adverb is 'biased'. You may exhibit bias. If you do, you are biased. You cannot be bias. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Bought/brought is one of my blind spots. Along with affect/effect. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bought/brought is one of my blind spots. Along with affect/effect. 

Buy/bring. Bought/brought. Let the R do the work. Bring/brought. Thats my method for remembering. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

'Would of' for 'would have'. 

Absolutely agree, but I give the benefit of doubt in speech as I used to get annoyed by my Dad calling me out on saying it when I was obviously saying 'would've'. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Absolutely agree, but I give the benefit of doubt in speech as I used to get annoyed by my Dad calling me out on saying it when I was obviously saying 'would've'. 

Indeed. I was referring to written usage. Verbally, they sound the same, unless the speaker is en-un-ci-ating in an absurdly precise manner. 

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

None of these are as bad as the aberration that is people writing "are" instead of "our".

In fairness it’s only absolute idiots who are doing that, I feel like some of the others are being made by fairly intelligent people which makes it even more infuriating.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. I was referring to written usage. Verbally, they sound the same, unless the speaker is en-un-ci-ating in an absurdly precise manner. 

Most often they sound the same, but you do get people in the Midlands who say /wʊd ɒv/

Â