Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

There used to be HUGE one by me. Massive bonfire, market stalls, fun fair then fireworks. It was absolutely packed. It must have generated a fortune.

Proper events weren't they? I remember BRMB setting up a stage one night. Like you said, funfair, bonfire, fireworks and a commercial radio show broadcast from there. There used to be a big one in South Brum as well, Cofton Park, from memory. 

I think it was the cost that caused them to shut them down - extra policing, security, etc. 

Dudley are operating a doorstep fireworks display, whereby they put on shows which can be seen by the majority of homes' doorsteps apparently.

Be interesting to see how it works, but thought it was a nice gesture considering there's nothing else on this year.

Also explains the Halloween stuff, there's **** all else to do, so why not have fun decorating the house for a few days?

Halloween being very fun anyway, of course 🎃

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Proper events weren't they? I remember BRMB setting up a stage one night. Like you said, funfair, bonfire, fireworks and a commercial radio show broadcast from there. There used to be a big one in South Brum as well, Cofton Park, from memory. 

I think it was the cost that caused them to shut them down - extra policing, security, etc. 

There was the one at a rugby club near the motorway (I forget where exactly) that caused the huge fatal crash that seemed to finish them off.

Probably insurance too which makes them commercially unviable.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

There was the one at a rugby club near the motorway (I forget where exactly) that caused the huge fatal crash that seemed to finish them off.

Taunton Rugby club just off the M5 - the freezing fog didn’t help either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah my Dad used to be in charge of one at the football ground down here, said they barely made any money and he spent all night shitting himself it didn't set fire to a house down the road so it wasn't worth it.

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Bonfire night events?

In a pandemic, with London, Yorkshire and Lancashire in tier 2A.1?

The village I’ve just moved from has a relatively big event each year. This year they a doing a ‘drive in’ one. Maybe I’m wrong but it would surely put off people from the village attending. Hardly easy to see a firework display from the car (Probably easier from the garden), the car that they would have to drive to the event in, to get stuck in traffic on the way out for an hour or so, when it’s about 2mins to walk home. With how wet it’s been they would probably wreck the rugby and football pitch too.

As excited as I am about water being found on the moon. It’s been spoiled by this:

Speaking during a virtual teleconference, co-author Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, said: "The amount of water is roughly equivalent to a 12-ounce bottle of water in a cubic metre of lunar soil."

Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at NASA clearly used to work at B&Q, sizing up the timber at 300mm by 6 foot.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at NASA clearly used to work at B&Q, sizing up the timber at 300mm by 6 foot.

They should have said 2/3 of a pint per cubic meter so us Brits could relate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

They should have said 2/3 of a pint per cubic meter so us Brits could relate.

After half a century of metric, it’s the cubic meter that people would struggle to visualise.

• Like 2

On 23/10/2020 at 12:39, StefanAVFC said:

Wrapped in the sickening display by our parliament yesterday, Poland are trying to one up.

Banning abortions in the case of fetal defect, effectively forcing women to carry severely disabled or even still born children to full term. There are still 2 situations in which abortion is legal; these being danger of loss of life to the mother or in cases of rape.

However, it almost has to be proven that the woman's life is 100% in danger (almost impossible) and that it was 100% a rape (difficult to do within the period of time of a pregnancy) meaning abortion has practically been made illegal in Poland.

In 2018 out of 1076 abortions, 1 was because of rape, 25 was because it was dangerous for the woman's life and 1050 because of an unhealthy fetus. 

This was sworn in by the Supreme Court planted and hijacked by the current government, and this is a policy with 13% of approval within Poland.  

Makes me laugh how Poles are generally anti-Islam and radicalism, when they act as radical themselves. 

To add, this was done at a constitutional level!

I went to a protest yesterday, amazing. Completely blocked the main road in Katowice with cars and people. The same protests were nationwide. With further plans for women to completely strike tomorrow.

The response of TVP (the Polish BBC)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

After half a century of metric, it’s the cubic meter that people would struggle to visualise.

Nah, I just looked at my gas one and it's pretty cube shaped. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Also another Poland one:

My friend is a teacher; schools are closed again so all teaching is virtual.

Teachers still need to go the school building and teach from there virtually. AND, they need to move to each year groups' classroom to deliver each lesson :D

So nonsensical.

Also with our lockdown, the only place still open with no restrictions. churches

Of course

• Confused 1

This will end well.

As mass protests against a near total ban on abortion continued into a sixth day, Poland’s most powerful man spoke for the first time about last week’s constitutional court ruling and the upheaval it has provoked.

Kaczyński – whose official position is deputy prime minister but, as chairman of the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, is Poland’s de facto leader – claimed that the protesters are seeking to destroy the country, and appealed to his followers to defend churches.

The latter form of protest has prompted far-right organisations and football fans to form defence forces that have stood in front of churches to protect them. In some cases, this has led to physical confrontations with protesters and police.

Some members of the ruling camp – including a deputy justice minister – have praised these nationalist groups. And in his statement today, Kaczyński appealed to his party’s followers to also protect stand in defence of churches.

“We must defend Polish churches at any cost,” he declared. “I call on all PiS members and all those who support us to take part in the defence of the church.”

Kaczyński also argued that churches are “not being attacked by accident”. The church is the “repository of the only moral system commonly known in Poland”, claimed deputy prime minister, repeating remarks he made last year.

“Rejection of [the church] is nihilism, and we see this nihilism in these demonstrations,” he continued. “This attack [on churches] is intended to destroy Poland, to lead to the triumph of forces [whose] authorities will end the history of the Polish nation as we known it.”

“Today is the time when we must be able to say ‘no’ to that which can destroy us,” he warned. “It depends on the state; but above all it depends us, on our determination and courage.”

“Let us defend Poland, let us defend patriotism,” concluded Kaczyński. “Only then can we win the war declared directly by our opponents.”

https://notesfrompoland.com/2020/10/27/abortion-protests-aim-to-destroy-poland-and-end-the-history-of-the-polish-nation-says-kaczynski/

not sure where to put this. I know comedy is subjective, but what the actual **** is this shit? I mean, it's the kind of thing that might have been titter inducing to do a short skit with your friends, but it would be boring after 20 seconds. Yet this individual seems to have got a whole lot of traction behind her? For what? It makes me actually quite angry :D How can anyone stomach watching this? It's not funny, it's not remotely funny. There's no skill in in miming! **** me. 

Anyway, very much in the spirit of the thread title 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

not sure where to put this. I know comedy is subjective, but what the actual **** is this shit? I mean, it's the kind of thing that might have been titter inducing to do a short skit with your friends, but it would be boring after 20 seconds. Yet this individual seems to have got a whole lot of traction behind her? For what? It makes me actually quite angry :D How can anyone stomach watching this? It's not funny, it's not remotely funny. There's no skill in in miming! **** me. 

Anyway, very much in the spirit of the thread title 

Definitely for this thread. I find her funny not just the Trump stuff, its her niche though and I can see why people might not like it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Definitely for this thread. I find her funny not just the Trump stuff, its her niche though and I can see why people might not like it. 

I find her funny at TikTok length, no way would I watch a whole show of it though.

• Like 2

Â