Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

@Stevo985 he's either blissfully unaware and will be mortified when you tell him or he won't give a toss. 

Here's hoping it's the former, as it should be...

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Since lockdown, for some reason my next door neighbour has decided to switch from smoking in her back garden to smoking on her doorstep.

We live in terraced houses and our front doors are right next to each other. Pretty much every time I go out for my daily fresh air, usually with my little boy, we get a face full of smoke instead. Every now and then you can smell it from our living room as well.

Minor thing really, she’s a nice enough neighbour and I’m too scared to say anything so I’m just going to moan about it in here instead.

The answer to your dilemma is obvious @Paddywhack....but if you want any help then i'll gladly call on @rjw63 to gently advise you...

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

@Stevo985 he's either blissfully unaware and will be mortified when you tell him or he won't give a toss. 

Here's hoping it's the former, as it should be...

Oh I'm sure it's the former. He seems friendly enough.

Still an awkward conversation though :D 

• Like 1

Assuming the anti smoke in my air lot are on about potential health risk. Out of interest are you also annoyed with the factories and cars around you? I'm not trying to be argumentative ( it comes naturally eh!) Just, as a recently ex smoker, it seems rather selective if you're not also against, say, aeroplanes. Or people with open fires. 

Edit: I want to add (so I don't start some sort of holy war) you can think what you like, I don't care, I'm not criticising, just interested

Edited by VILLAMARV
Peace and goodwill

14 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Assuming the anti smoke in my air lot are on about potential health risk. Out of interest are you also annoyed with the factories and cars around you? I'm not trying to be argumentative ( it comes naturally eh!) Just, as a recently ex smoker, it seems rather selective if you're not also against, say, aeroplanes. Or people with open fires. 

Edit: I want to add (so I don't start some sort of holy war) you can think what you like, I don't care, I'm not criticising, just interested

Smoker's smoke smells differently to factory/car emissions and is a choice made by the person smoking where they'll stand.

It's really annoying that most smokers dump themselves immediately outside the entrance/exit of the building they're in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's like me with a lot of the vapers I pass in the street. I don't want to smell their rhubarb and custard vapour (or whatever) or indeed, breathe it in. 

But that's why I was going off the assumption there's a health angle. 

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

That's like me with a lot of the vapers I pass in the street. I don't want to smell their rhubarb and custard vapour (or whatever) or indeed, breathe it in. 

But that's why I was going off the assumption there's a health angle. 

Yea, same shit really.

There's a woman in my office who sprays her deodorant in the office before she goes on lunch, so I get to taste deodorant before my lunch which annoys me. 

I say annoy, I don't actually give a shit, it's just not very thoughtful of whomever is doing it, like people who listen to music on their loudspeakers on public transport, or cars racing around small streets. 

Keep your shit to yourself, no one else wants to see it, or hear it you bell cheese.  

• Like 2

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Yea, same shit really.

There's a woman in my office who sprays her deodorant in the office before she goes on lunch, so I get to taste deodorant before my lunch which annoys me. 

I say annoy, I don't actually give a shit, it's just not very thoughtful of whomever is doing it, like people who listen to music on their loudspeakers on public transport, or cars racing around small streets. 

Keep your shit to yourself, no one else wants to see it, or hear it you bell cheese.  

Actually this one really ****ing annoys me 😅 

And mrsvm. People do it on the train all the time. When she asks them if they wouldn't mind not spraying that in the sealed carriage (and she will!) They look at her like shes gone in the head. But like it never crossed their minds that breathing in impulse or lynx or whatever might not be to other people's taste in a public area.

I'm glad the air sprays in a can from our youth like all the old air fresheners have seemingly been stopped from being a thing. I used to be really sensitive to those, especially when there was a fad of sticking them above urinals in pubs for instance and they'd basically spray you in the face. 

Just having a selective reasoning day here I suppose. 

My favourite, living quite near to Mordor as i do now, is that the signs on the M4 tell you to SLOW DOWN, POLLUTION KILLS and without a hint of irony it's when you drive past this

img.jpg

I get it, at the signs level, it's about councils and quotas right? But in reality the evidence is piling up thick and fast that air quality is one of, if not the biggest public health concerns of our times. 

People being inconsiderate though, yeah, there's a lot of that about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Nothing to do with that for me. I smoke myself socially so I can't criticise.

It's just not very nice to be falling asleep in my own bedroom but have cigarette smoke coming in the window. It stinks,

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

img.jpg

Second best town in Wales right there.

Left of that photo, the big black expanse of a spoil heap: I put in a planning application there for a renewable energy complex and power station, to reduce pollution and guarantee a power supply at predictable costs for the steel works, thus helping ensure its future. The application was rejected. Reason? The council had earmarked that space for a future tourism development.

Ten years ago that was. Still waiting to see what the tourism development might be...

Planners eh? 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Second best town in Wales right there.

Left of that photo, the big black expanse of a spoil heap: I put in a planning application there for a renewable energy complex and power station, to reduce pollution and guarantee a power supply at predictable costs for the steel works, thus helping ensure its future. The application was rejected. Reason? The council had earmarked that space for a future tourism development.

Ten years ago that was. Still waiting to see what the tourism development might be...

Planners eh? 

Perhaps the councillors haven't bought it up privately first (yet) 😉 

But Jebus, tourism 😅 

As I heard that Lloyd Langford fellow say once, "Lovely beach, don't look left" (He's from Baglan)

I'm over in Swansea now fwiw. You can still go on our beach and everything. There's a wind and a solar farm over that side from what I can see and the steelworks is nowhere near as rampant as it used to be in our living memory when all the chimneys were rocking. Still mordor though. 

Be interesting to see the figures for respiratory diseases over that way compared to the green green grass of home bits imo. 

31 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm over in Swansea now fwiw. You can still go on our beach and everything. There's a wind and a solar farm over that side from what I can see and the steelworks is nowhere near as rampant as it used to be in our living memory when all the chimneys were rocking. Still mordor though. 

Sorry, but any Tolkien scholar will tell you that Mordor is in Birmingham - it was inspired by Moseley Bog (aka my old school playing fields and cross-country route). 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

There's a wind and a solar farm over that side from what I can see and the steelworks is nowhere near as rampant as it used to be in our living memory when all the chimneys were rocking. Still mordor though.

Mordor rather than Isengard?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, but any Tolkien scholar will tell you that Mordor is in Birmingham - it was inspired by Moseley Bog (aka my old school playing fields and cross-country route). 

All of Middle Earth is in Birmingham. Hobbiton is inspired by Sarehole Mill and the surroundings. The Two Towers are Birmingham Uni clock tower and the folly in Edgbaston. Moseley Bog inspired Fangorn Forest and the Old Forest iirc. Mordor was inspired by the Black Country and Tolkien's wartime experiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

All of Middle Earth is in Birmingham. Hobbiton is inspired by Sarehole Mill and the surroundings. The Two Towers are Birmingham Uni clock tower and the folly in Edgbaston. Moseley Bog inspired Fangorn Forest and the Old Forest iirc. Mordor was inspired by the Black Country and Tolkien's wartime experiences.

Correct and clearly the inspiration for Gollum was taken from small heath fans 😉

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fed up of hearing about sport being restarted being good for the country and how it will give everyone a boost. Just piss off. Sport is way down my list of things. What would give me a boost more is being able to see my family or friends in person and enjoying a drink in a pub beer garden or a coffee and a cake in a coffee shop. Football can wait!

Sport is an important part of society (regardless of what those who hate it might say - obviously not including you in that!) and it being restarted would help to mark a return to normality rather than a step on the road to normality (which would be why I think it ought not to be viewed simply as another business to be restarted under any circumstances - audience presence is v. important). It's often underplayed just how integral sport is to society.

That's not just to be contrary or to underestimate the first step of seeing family and friends.

• Like 1

Â