Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As chrisp said people are just wired differently. 

At work I cant be rude to anyone. I sound a bit like you. I’m always polite and not direct, in a way, even to the people who work for me. 

I know this hinders me. You don’t get on in my company, and many others, by being nice. You have to be a word removed to people. 

But I just can’t do it. And if I do do it it’s by accident and I feel awful for it!

Its the same outside of work too. I’ve been with a girl in the past who was one of these super moody people. If you did something wrong she’d ignore you and be angry for days. 

I just can’t do it. Even if I wanted to be like that to prove a point I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to do it. It just doesn’t make sense in my brain to be like that. 

Yep, just the way some people are.

Nature or nurture? My parents had diametrically opposite temperaments: my Dad was mostly affable, but quite short tempered - if something annoyed him he'd lose his rag very quickly. But his temper subsided equally quickly, and he'd carry on as if nothing had happened. Whereas my Mom was very placid, and very rarely got angry about anything. But if she did, it was almost impossible to get forgiveness - she would seethe and hold a grudge, sometimes literally for years. I guess it was just in their DNA. I've inherited my Dad's traits - I basically get along with almost everyone, and if I don't, I just avoid them. But yes, I can lose my rag, and then shrug it off equally easily. 

Glad I'm not working in an office anymore though - the sort of one-upmanship mind games described above frequently left me shaking my head in disgust. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Yep, just the way some people are.

Nature or nurture? My parents had diametrically opposite temperaments: my Dad was mostly affable, but quite short tempered - if something annoyed him he'd lose his rag very quickly. But his temper subsided equally quickly, and he'd carry on as if nothing had happened. Whereas my Mom was very placid, and very rarely got angry about anything... I guess it was just in their DNA. I've inherited my Dad's traits - I basically get along with almost everyone, and if I don't, I just avoid them. But yes, I can lose my rag, and then shrug it off equally easily.

See, I see a lot of my own temperament (and my dad's) in that post Mooney. (Edited out the bit about mum holding a grudge, mines an angel innit)

I assumed the fact that I lose my rag at all should preclude my joining in this discussion.

I feel it's a defensive reaction in myself. I wouldn't dream of lashing out for no reason. If I feel wronged however i can be quick to let it out. (You're all thinking ' no shit sherlock' aren't you.)

I save the real hatred for myself.

So the example that triggered my post, wasn't even aimed at me, or my team.

As some of you know, I work in toolsets and we manage one used by both customers and internally. So for example, one customer may have a catalog to request anything IT related, then they have a service desk who use the tool to raise tickets etc. 

It's Friday afternoon, after 5. This guy (Think he's a programme manager, fairly senior) requested a password reset via a normal 'forgotten password' link. It sent the request to him immediately and it expires in 12 hours (standard practice) .

He sent an email to the SD, complaining that it's Friday and he won't do it before 5am Saturday, even though it's an automated process, that he himself triggered. He cc'd the account director (in the same email to SD) with this:

Do your operatives not think about what they are sending, or is it your systems assume everyone is 24 x 7? I may be committed to the job, but Friday nights is off limit for work. Normally have a beer and chill. And if this is closed due to no user response then that will just be taking the micky.

It's just rude and needless, and from working over here, an attitude I see in a lot of UK based people when dealing with Poland.

My only involvement was 'can we change the automation? how is it triggered?' but it came attached with the above so I could see the shittiness. 

Annoying thing is, account director (on our side!) didn't push back at all, just bollocked the SD. Mad. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

While we are on the subject of Emails.

Director: blah blah can you remind your staff about deadline and how we are going to do it if there are any issues let me know.

Manager to us:  MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

cc: Director

Always does this drives us insane, instead of coming to chat about how we are going to do it. Then you go in his office to ask how! An he talks to you while fizzing through facebook on his phone. I swear we could do the whole job without him, his 100K a year salary, an 60 grand company car.

An another thing that annoys me is people who answer the phone when you are half way though a 1 on 1 meeting, then you have to walk off because you know that person was not interested anyway.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

An another thing that annoys me is people who answer the phone when you are half way though a 1 on 1 meeting, then you have to walk off because you know that person was not interested anyway.

That used to be my number one annoyance, then we got computer phone thingies. Problem almost eradicated. Why ? Because old fashioned phones sit there loudly ringing, so they can’t be ignored. Of course people could answer and say I’ll call you back in 10 minutes, but even that can drag on. The new ones, you just press a button and it changes your status to “unavailable” and kills the call, but you know who’s called. End of interruptions.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Director: blah blah can you remind your staff about deadline and how we are going to do it if there are any issues let me know.

Always does this drives us insane, instead of coming to chat about how we are going to do it. Then you go in his office to ask how! An he talks to you while fizzing through facebook on his phone. I swear we could do the whole job without him, his 100K a year salary, an 60 grand company car.

Yes! I can’t like this enough. Our team leader does this all the time.

He also never reads any emails properly. If you ever email him anything, you’re guaranteed you’ll get a reply asking for some information you’ve literally just provided. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yes! I can’t like this enough. Our team leader does this all the time.

He also never reads any emails properly. If you ever email him anything, you’re guaranteed you’ll get a reply asking for some information you’ve literally just provided. 

This a common thing with a lot of managers, and a moan I hear a lot in my work.

Since becoming a manager, I hated it so much, that I promised myself I wouldn't do it.

To my detriment sometimes, I'm involved in stuff i probably should leave to my guys at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Done the phone thing on here before. Extremely rude behaviour, imo, to just answer it with no sorry or anything. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I feel like it has to be asked, where is the missing one and why don’t they have it?

I lied... only 40 of the 42 on there. 

Missing two Xmas specials. The other 4 specials are on there. 

No idea why! Frustrating. 

18 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I don't believe it :D

He doesn't actually say it that often. Its one of those things that got exaggerated by the media. He's more likely to shout "What in the name of bloody hell!" :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He doesn't actually say it that often. Its one of those things that got exaggerated by the media. He's more likely to shout "What in the name of bloody hell!" :) 

Yeah put people like me who've only ever seen a few episodes wouldn't have got the joke

On the work emails front, I've a longstanding hatred of any email that opens with just my name. I immediately read it as being talked down to, and read the rest of the email in that tone.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

On the work emails front, I've a longstanding hatred of any email that opens with just my name. I immediately read it as being talked down to, and read the rest of the email in that tone.

Where do you stand on emails that don’t have a greeting at all and just go straight into subject matter? 

I’m torn, sometimes I find it a bit rude and other times I think yeah why the F not.

I'm always polite on emails at work, even if i've received a short snappy one from someone. Sometimes i'm extra polite and I like to think they know i'm taking the piss. 

• Like 1

I had an email from the CUstomer Services Manager last week, asking for my help to locate a booking that she couldn't find in relation to a customer complaint

My reply was a 9 digit number (the booking reference) in under 30 seconds of her sending the email

I hoped she'd get the mesage. She didn't, 5 minutes later a gushing email thanking me profusely, blah, blah, gush, waffle, grateful, or somehing like that. I didn't really read it

It's funny if the Company Secetary or the CEO send out an email to multiple staff members, it's usually carefully crafted, full of pleasantries and all that crap. If either of them email me or I email just them, it's always no name, straight question / answer no regards or any of that flannel because we know we all prefer it that way, we've got better things to be doing than typing waffle and horseshit for no gain

Â