Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I like a curry but I don't get the obsession of having it as hot as possible. Just macho bullshit. A bit of heat and plenty of flavour is the way to go.

This is definitely correct, taste over spice but I do prefer a small amount of heat. Korma / Passanda type curries are a little insipid to me. Somewhere i the middle with a good combination of taste spices and a small amount of the heat spices

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I like a curry but I don't get the obsession of having it as hot as possible. Just macho bullshit. A bit of heat and plenty of flavour is the way to go.

I like both.

I'll often make curry at home and I'll make a tarka dal/chana masala, occasionally a Jalfrezi. Sometimes I like a proper sweat running down your back and red face kind of curry though. Same reason I occasionally go for an incredibly sour beer. Every so often that sheer intensity is an amazing kick.

It's not for everyone, and I can see why you call it "macho bullshit" as it often goes hand in hand with people laughing at other people's choices and thinking not liking absurd levels of heat is somehow a bit wimpy,  which is complete twattery. I like it every now and then though. It's like a skydive on a plate. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Same reason I occasionally go for an incredibly sour beer. Every so often that sheer intensity is an amazing kick.

You must be a big fan of Wetherspoons then 😀

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I like both.

I'll often make curry at home and I'll make a tarka dal/chana masala, occasionally a Jalfrezi. Sometimes I like a proper sweat running down your back and red face kind of curry though. Same reason I occasionally go for an incredibly sour beer. Every so often that sheer intensity is an amazing kick.

A really hot curry can be quite exhilarating. I know it sounds ridiculous to say that but its a genuine buzz. Gets your heart going! 

I like all sorts of curry though... vindaloo is actually really tasty, despite being very hot. I like the hot, sweet and sour hit of a pathia as much as I like the taste of makhani (aka butter chicken). Even the popular tikka masala has its place. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So glad I have found a new decent curry house after a 10 year search after the one of my youth closed down. 

I agree. Some hot curries are lovely to be fair, but they're not hot for the sake of it.

Madras is delicious, for example. But Vindaloo does nothing for me. It's just hot.

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But Vindaloo does nothing for me. It's just hot

A proper vindaloo has nothing to do with heat, the heat is what you decide to make it. It's based on a Portuguese dish iirc via Goa and Piri Piri is a direct descendant of the same dish. I think the original dish was called Carne de vinha d'alhos (Meat in garlic and wine marinade)

The vindaloo we get in Britain bears only a passing resemblance and its come to mean hot curry with little baby onions

A proper vindaloo is gorgeous and the heat is up to you

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

You run to get the same effect :mrgreen:

Sure. But once I've finished and had my shower, it's over. I don't have that lingering smell in my nostrils and the rancid taste in my mouth all night, and even the next day. Rank. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sure. But once I've finished and had my shower, it's over. I don't have that lingering smell in my nostrils and the rancid taste in my mouth all night, and even the next day. Rank. 

The smell of my Sri Lankan Beef Smore lingers in the kitchen for days, it's heavenly. It won't make you sweat either, it's milder than a Korma, it has absolutely no heat spices in it, all taste

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

The smell of my Sri Lankan Beef Smore lingers in the kitchen for days, it's heavenly. It won't make you sweat either, it's milder than a Korma, it has absolutely no heat spices in it, all taste

Oh yeah, I forgot about stinking out the house. One advantage of eating the stuff in a restaurant, I suppose. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

My neighbour cooks some ridiculously smelly food. Our house is detached but their extractor fan blows into our garden. The other day we could smell it in our living room with all the windows and doors closed. Must stink inside.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s day 135 of lock down at Chez Mooney and the only food left is a jar of Patak Bhuna sauce or that car cleaning sponge they’ve been keeping for a special occasion...

Oh, I'll eat a curry if I have to (unless it's spinach, obviously). Just don't get much pleasure from it. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I'll eat a curry if I have to (unless it's spinach, obviously).

MJM after a spinach curry. 

pop art weed GIF by Dave Bell

Edited by sidcow

The fact that even during this virus scare, some word removed still fly-tipped seven black bags of shite last night by my garage outside the back garden. I didn't get home til 7pm, and I was out at 4.30am this morning, so some arsehole was skulking about in the small hours.

These are the types I really truly hope get the virus, and don't recover.

I enjoyed working from home a lot more when our team chat wasn't full of people talking about the amusing/annoying things their little crotch goblins have been up to this morning.

For the love of my patience, bring the schools back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I enjoyed working from home a lot more when our team chat wasn't full of people talking about the amusing/annoying things their little crotch goblins have been up to this morning.

For the love of my patience, bring the schools back.

I can't imagine how shit working from home would be if I had some annoying little kids running about.

• Haha 1

Â