Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On 26/12/2019 at 17:01, bickster said:

Ludicrous apologies like this...

Why the hell are the HA apologising for something that is absolutely no-one's fault?

It just piles on with the culture of entitled twunts who think they need an apology for everything shit that happens in their life.

In my book you apologise when it's your fault and you've made an error

I know it's a cultural thing in England, but the constant 'excuse me, sorry, may I please have' it makes the words lose all meaning. 

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know it's a cultural thing in England, but the constant 'excuse me, sorry, may I please have' it makes the words lose all meaning. 

Ooh, 'Please may I have...?' was drilled into me from infancy. Probably why 'Can I get...?' sets my teeth on edge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Ooh, 'Please may I have...?' was drilled into me from infancy. Probably why 'Can I get...?' sets my teeth on edge. 

I automatically hate people that don’t say please and thank you etc even though admittedly we totally overdo it in the UK.

What I absolutely cannot stand is in the states when you say “thank you” and you get a half-arsed, not looking at you “mmmm-hmmmm” or “yep” as if to say I didn’t actually want to help you, I’m above this/you. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

If I worked as a food or drink server, I would make it my mission to educate everyone that said “Can I get...” by saying “No, you can’t because you don’t work here; however I can get it for you, if requested correctly. Would you like to rephrase your question?”

I expect I’d be sacked within the hour.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, choffer said:

Trying to do something nice, second guessing yourself and causing untold hassle in the process. 
She gave plenty hints about getting new Christmas jammies. So I head out to MnS the Saturday before Christmas, queue for hours just to get into the car park, pick out a lovely pair I know she’ll love. I also pick up on the “nice, loose-fitting, comfy” hint and go for a size 12. 
The next day I check with utmost subtlety to ensure I’ve got the right size and realise that buying a 12 will mean I think she’s a twelve and how on earth could I think that when she’s barely a ten. So on Monday night I return to MnS after work, spend ages queuing to get into the car park, find a replacement pair in a ten and exchange. 
Sonshe turns up late Monday and I present the Christmas jammies only to be told she wants a size up. Not only that but we are both going to oxford street on Christmas Eve to exchange them and see the Christmas lights. 
Turns out we need to see the Christmas lights on Oxford St, Regent St, Carnaby St, Fortnum & Mason, Liberty and Selfridges. Then on to MnS where she decides she prefers a different pair of jammies altogether which are a tenner more expensive. 

She will never know the hassle these jammies have caused because she’s generally so awesome and she’d feel guilty if I ever told her (hence why I’m venting to the VT massive).

Its posts like this that make me glad i'm fat, ugly and single! 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, bickster said:

The idiot female in the IT Department strikes again

I log in from home, everything is fine except I can't run reports and the error message says there's a network fault.

I ring up, she tells me to restart my machine, I know my machine isn't the problem but I play along. She then says it must be my machine at home and there's nothing she can do about that (it isn't and she could if she really wanted to).

I ask her if she can run reports from her machine, "I don't know". Can you try first before we waste any more of my time. Shock of all shocks, she can't. 

So its not my machine at work or home then is it?  "Er no, leave it with me."

No less than 30 seconds later she's sent an email to our software suppliers raising it as an issue. No attempt to fix it herself by... restarting the reporting server

Now I have no IT training whatsoever but I know that this is the solution because its always the sodding solution whenever it happens... it takes a bloody minute to sort out but now I'm waiting until someone in, probably America, wakes up, reads the ticket and then emails us back telling us that the problem is at our end and the reporting server needs restarting. This might not happen until Monday at the earliest

She's f***ing useless! Not only that but she's now affecting my overtime!

Have you tried unplugging her? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, brommy said:

If I worked as a food or drink server, I would make it my mission to educate everyone that said “Can I get...” by saying “No, you can’t because you don’t work here; however I can get it for you, if requested correctly. Would you like to rephrase your question?”

I expect I’d be sacked within the hour.

That’s the perfect response to that horrible Americanised (no z) self entitled phrase. Thanks, I shall use it with my teenage kids now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I would say 'I want' 😂

That's definitely a more european way

In Spanish you never say "Please may I have this" or "Can I have that?"

It's just "I want this" or if you're being very polite "I would like that"

Still add a please on the end. But the british "please may I have this if it's not too much trouble thanks very much" isn't there

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's definitely a more european way

In Spanish you never say "Please may I have this" or "Can I have that?"

It's just "I want this" or if you're being very polite "I would like that"

Still add a please on the end. But the british "please may I have this if it's not too much trouble thanks very much" isn't there

If you say "thank you" to my four-year-old granddaughter, she always replies with "You're most welcome". I assume she got it from a film or TV, but it's quite charming. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Every few years I try gnocchi and I remember the disappointment.

It's just not as good as having pasta.

In Italy it was some of the best stuff I had, the jump in quality was huge, the gnocchi we have in supermarkets here is shite and also very easy to overcook

As for frying, fried pasta is actually pretty good! Ravioli for example goes nice and crisp, sprinkle some parmeasan on them and serve with tomato dip

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In Italy it was some of the best stuff I had, the jump in quality was huge, the gnocchi we have in supermarkets here is shite and also very easy to overcook

As for frying, fried pasta is actually pretty good! Ravioli for example goes nice and crisp, sprinkle some parmeasan on them and serve with tomato dip

I need to try this.. when I’m home alone, if it works then I can impress the missus with my culinary expertise. 

But most pasta / gnocchi, whatever, it just one plate of the same stuff covered in a sauce of some description

There's just not enough variation in most Italian dishes for it to appeal to me often. Ironically I'm actually quite good at Italian cooking (unlike Chinese, which I'm woeful at)

Â