Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

What about the apricot jelly found in your much loved Jaffa cakes?

That's OK. I have no objection to fruit flavouring, provided it's been processed to within an inch of its life. Jam, jelly, fine. Raisins are too close to the original. And not for nothing are garibaldis always referred to as 'squashed fly biscuits'. Yuk. Squashed fly chocolate? Hell, no. 

• Like 1

All this 'dropping' business. What's wrong with an album being 'released'? 

And yes, I know that language is constantly changing, and that my parents hated several idioms used by my own generation, but I still don't have to like it. 

Hence this thread. 

• Like 3

I imagine it's more likely that music isn't really released these days in the way it used to be.

Obviously by the definition of the word it's still a "release", in that it's made available to the public. But I'd guess "drop" is used because it's so much faster and more low key to release music these days.

Drop implies speed, imo. Almost like an unexpected release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

All this 'dropping' business. What's wrong with an album being 'released'? 

And yes, I know that language is constantly changing, and that my parents hated several idioms used by my own generation, but I still don't have to like it. 

Hence this thread. 

Someone drops one of my albums and I'll drop them from a great height

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

See also "pre-order"

from my time at GAME, there is a benefit for each store to get pre orders, even if it means that pre ordering it is free, they don't even care if you buy it from there

take Red Dead 2 for example, the kidderminster store will get 200 copies + then 1 copy for each pre order, they only hold the pre orders for 36 hours then they can sell them, that's why we were made to ram it down peoples throats, it helps stop the store from selling out

interestingly (probably not...) i think Germany has banned pre orders on things that have no set release date

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

from my time at GAME, there is a benefit for each store to get pre orders, even if it means that pre ordering it is free, they don't even care if you buy it from there

take Red Dead 2 for example, the kidderminster store will get 200 copies + then 1 copy for each pre order, they only hold the pre orders for 36 hours then they can sell them, that's why we were made to ram it down peoples throats, it helps stop the store from selling out

interestingly (probably not...) i think Germany has banned pre orders on things that have no set release date

No, the problem is the word pre-order!

Not the concept of requesting something in advance, or to put it another way... ordering it.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

No, the problem is the word pre-order!

Not the concept of requesting something in advance, or to put it another way... ordering it.

Precisely. No need for pre-. You just order it. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Drop implies speed, imo. Almost like an unexpected release.

Zackly. As per Blackstar etc.

Anyway, stupid annoying terminology - "Rocking" - as in "look at him rocking a new bad-boy jacket and haircut" . No, **** off.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

No. And likewise bloody crisps. Make it stop!

CADBURY-WF.jpg

speaking as some who dips those little sausages you get on a cocktail stick at Weddings into the chocolate fountain ...I like the sound of these

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

speaking as some who dips those little sausages you get on a cocktail stick at Weddings into the chocolate fountain ...I like the sound of these

Not a touch on meat pie and caramel sauce :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And not for nothing are garibaldis always referred to as 'squashed fly biscuits'.

I've never heard them referred to as that, but I completely agree with it.  Awful f**king things.

• Thanks 1

Â