Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I spent most of the weekend putting together flat pack furniture. Annoying in its mindnumbing-ness, and frustrating in the times where the instructions aren't quite right, the thing that really pisses me off though is the fact I put it all together by hand with a ratchet screwdriver. Day one had my hands blistered. By the end of today most blisters have largely gone away, except one, at the top of my palm, right on what palm readers would call the heart line I think, between my ring finger and middle finger. It's become a swollen lump, sore and so big and taut it actually pulls my fingers towards my palm. I basically can't do anything with my right hand. It's driving me mad.

I quite like assembling flat pack.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's definitely something therapeutic about it. I quite enjoy it too, it's like a puzzle.

But only if it's MY furniture. 

I recently went round my mom's to help her put together a few things (and by help I mean do it entirely by myself) and it got very old very quickly. I think without the reward of having some new furniture afterwards it's not as enjoyable.

And like Chindie said, if you have a manual screwdriver it can be hell. Electric screwdriver is the best solution. Makes it 10 times easier.

• Like 2

i had a dental implant a few months back, had it adjusted today because it wasnt quite tight enough, had the fake tooth yanked out (it was cemented in) the screw taken out, everything cleaned the screw then ratcheted back in to my jaw bone before the tooth was re-cemented on, the whole process was an absolute bastard for him to do and as a result my dentist has put it back on slightly wonky, definitely doesnt look as good as it was before, part of me wants it take off and done again the other part of me thinks that having the screw ratcheted tightly in to my jaw bone was one of the most horrendous experiences in my life

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh, me too. We get a large shipment from IKEA when we move next month and I’m looking forward to it. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And like Chindie said, if you have a manual screwdriver it can be hell. Electric screwdriver is the best solution. Makes it 10 times easier.

A certain Swedish store sell a very reasonably priced one for about a tenner

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:14, brommy said:

I grew up in a large family with only one income but I witnessed my parents not spending unnecessarily and therefore still able to treat us to an annual family holiday and keep a reliable car (often unusual in the late 70’s/early eighties!). My Dad in particular taught me to look for value (not necessarily cheap), not to buy something I didn’t need and not to waste money on frivolous crap. I have been fortunate enough to be happily married to a woman who doesn’t enjoy shopping and like me, refuses to buy from a vending machine or spend £8 on a coffee and sandwich from Costa. Having two decent incomes and maintaining the instilled values now means we are able to live in a decent mortgage free house and enjoy a few holidays every year. My Wife’s siblings have sometimes questioned how we are able to afford our lifestyle when they earn decent money themselves but are constantly in debt with nothing to show for it. I’m too polite to say 15 years of excessive alcohol, coke and betting is not conducive to affording family holidays and bringing your kids up in a decent area. When I was younger, I occasionally wondered whether I’d be having more fun being in the pub every night and weekend lunchtime and also enjoying the thrill of a bet. Perhaps, but I wouldn’t be able to enjoy so much now and there would have been a price to pay, literally.

I grew up in very much the same way. Well, we were 5 kids and two incomes, but none of them earned that much and they had to keep the costs down. I remember being a bit envious at my friend at christmas as he got so many presents and I didn't get as many. He had a sister and that was it. Funnily enough I came to be the opposite. I can't hold onto money if my life depended on it. If I want something I buy it if I can, not thinking too much about if I should or not. Money on the bank? Not much. Sometimes I can save money for a short time if it's something I really want and know I have to save to get it. The bad/good thing is that my OH is just like me. 4 years ago we were living in her appartment, a big, nice appartment which didn't cost much. One night when I came home from work she was sitting by the compuiter and turned to me asking "Shouldn't we buy a house?" and I just said "Sure, why not?" and about 4 months later we owned a house. Never really thinking about if it was a good idea, if we could really afford it and such minor things. The good thing is that today we love the place we live in and can't imagine to go back and live in an appartment in or the city centre. But still, we never think too much about things like money, and that is without having that much. Another thing is that she used to be afraid of flying, she still is but now she can handle it, which had us just going on rather cheap trips. Now that she can handle it only this year we've been to Cape Verde, Crete (A luxury, newly opened 5 star all inclusive hotell) and we're going to Guadeloupe for two weeks in december. Can we afford it? Well, just. It would probably be wiser to at least have gone only to one of those places. But somehow we make it. We're both a bit like "Well, I'm alive today, tomorrow I might be gone and then we have no use for money.", but I don't know if that's a very wise way to think. But we're having a good time, at least. Anyway, sometimes I think about how I became that way when my parents held onto money as well as they did. But I think it might be some reaction to that. When I was 14 I was on my first trip outside of Sweden. My sister lived and worked in Paris so we went to visit her. All my friends had been across the boarder many times. for example. And this is a minor wall of text.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

weekend wank blister

Happens to the best of us! I quite often develop a wank claw on quiet weekends. 

The boys school PTA rep or whatever they call themselves these day  , sent around an email last night about the Christmas Fair

It's not the fact that she sent the email to 59 people on CC instead of BCC that pisses me off ..( come on , its 20 bloody 18 you should know by now how to send a group email out )

no ,its the fact they've asked for

Chocolate for the tombola – all shapes and sizes but nut free please

that's me donating the biggest bar of nut based chocolate I can find then

Edited by tonyh29
biggest - not buscuit !!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The boys school PTA rep or whatever they call themselves these day  , sent around an email last night about the Christmas Fair

It's not the fact that she sent the email to 59 people on CC instead of BCC that pisses me off ..( come on , its 20 bloody 18 you should know by now how to send a group email out )

no ,its the fact they've asked for

that's me donating the biscuit bar of nut based chocolate I can find then

Why?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

cause its probably less than 1% of people on the planet with genuine nut allergies  , so why take away the fun of winning a bar of Toblerone  for the other 99% 

They also have no qualms about soliciting alcohol donations from people for the same tombola , so that negates any  "we can't have children .... " arguments and it also negates any "health " argument they are trying to push ...

41 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

cause its probably less than 1% of people on the planet with genuine nut allergies  , so why take away the fun of winning a bar of Toblerone  for the other 99% 

They also have no qualms about soliciting alcohol donations from people for the same tombola , so that negates any  "we can't have children .... " arguments and it also negates any "health " argument they are trying to push ...

Does the addition of nuts in the chocolate make it more fun to win?

Surely the fun of winning a bar of non-nutty chocolate is still the same, with the added bonus of taking away the chance of literally killing someone with a nut allergy :)

This is certainly in the right thread!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Does the addition of nuts in the chocolate make it more fun to win?

Surely the fun of winning a bar of non-nutty chocolate is still the same, with the added bonus of taking away the chance of literally killing someone with a nut allergy :)

This is certainly in the right thread!

all the best chocolate has nuts in it  , it would be like winning a trip to a strip-club and it having no strippers in it :)

it's the think about the risk to 1 in about 10000000000000 people who might die of a nut allergy whilst giving away booze that kills  thousands , not to mention no one ever got battered outside a pub after a night out by someone off their face on Fruit and nut

yep , right thread  , it shouldn't piss me off ...but it does

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

If these are personal email addresses then that's a notifiable GDPR breach.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it's the think about the risk to 1 in about 10000000000000 people who might die of a nut allergy whilst giving away booze that kills  thousands

That's really not the same thing though is it? :D 

• Like 1

Â