Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

'Speak to' as it is increasingly used these days, as in 'I think his position on this topic speaks to the anger felt by many people about blah blah'

I had never heard it used that way until about 18 months ago, when it suddenly became ubiquitous on some American politics podcasts I listen to. Now, in the last week, I've heard it used twice in this way by English people. 

What does it actually mean? 'Proves'? 'Demonstrates'? 'Relates to'? 'Has nothing to do with, but I wanted to get the two ideas in the same clause, so . . .'?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Speak to' as it is increasingly used these days, as in 'I think his position on this topic speaks to the anger felt by many people about blah blah'

I had never heard it used that way until about 18 months ago, when it suddenly became ubiquitous on some American politics podcasts I listen to. Now, in the last week, I've heard it used twice in this way by English people. 

What does it actually mean? 'Proves'? 'Demonstrates'? 'Relates to'? 'Has nothing to do with, but I wanted to get the two ideas in the same clause, so . . .'?

I think the fact that you hadn't heard this until 18 months ago speaks to how out of touch you are with current usage of vague, trite phrases.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

The News showed some of these fan parks and there are people there, mainly young women, who look as though they have no idea what is going on

You should get yourself to an Aviva rugby game. Ever since sky sexed it up, the amount of young totty spectators has rocketed, mainly due to tight fitting shirts, beefy boys with muscly thighs, 6 packs....and....ok, I'm sounding a bit ghey so i'll stop there ?

On 02/07/2018 at 17:32, tonyh29 said:

as I'm in the moaning mood today

people signing off emails with just one letter of their name

your name is Jo ffs , would it really be so hard to put Jo , instead of J   , you're not a rap star 

I'd understand if your name was Twathheeethantshlllj and you shortened it to clearing in the woods , but Jo doens't need shortening any further

People actually do that? Isn't that what email signatures were invented for

Every email I send has

Regards,

Gareth Taylor

At the bottom of it, I never have to think about that shit

Oh yes,  the reason I came here. people's inability to realise that midnight is the first minute of the day and not the last. In particular Licensing Officers, I've just had to send 3 emails to one of them because she didn't understand this concept

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

People actually do that? Isn't that what email signatures were invented for

Every email I send has

Regards,

Gareth Taylor

At the bottom of it, I never have to think about that shit

Same here.  Obviously not with Gareth Taylor.  That would be weird.

People who sign off with "Best" piss me off.  Best what?  Wishes, bitter, George?

• Haha 2

Just now, Risso said:

Same here.  Obviously not with Gareth Taylor.  That would be weird.

People who sign off with "Best" piss me off.  Best what?  Wishes, bitter, George?

the equivalent of Best turd I curled out this week

Just now, BOF said:

Oh hell yes this.  And it's quite bloody important to me because it usually revolves around on-call rotas and the like.

"You are covering from midnight Sunday".
"You mean midnight Monday".
"No, Sunday night until Monday morning".
"That's midnight Monday".
"Well, whatever, you know what I meant"
"No I **** didn't.  I'm not in your poxy head and you're using the wrong bastard words".

How does a **** adult get to this stage in li... actually never mind.  Love Island exists.  I know exactly how adults get to this stage in life with staggering knowledge blind spots.

I gave up the ghost with mine, the driver in question's licence now runs out a day earlier than I suspect it should but I have her emails to back up what she said. All down to her. 

These videos of increasing popularity of fans going mental when England win or score a goal. 

I love a massive celebration as much as the next guy, but they are starting to look like people are just trying really hard to Look “mental”

the latest one I saw was as the winnin penalty went in. The guy in the foreground wasn’t enjoying the moment, he was too concerned with getting ready to launch his pint in the air as soon as the penalty went in. 

• Like 2

Airport security - more specifically the people going through it.  I've probably had to take about 10 flights in the last few months due to work (and one holiday) and the amount of morons who don't seem to be able to understand the simple premise of NO LIQUIDS is staggering!!  My bag regularly gets picked out because I take a lot of electronic equipment in my hand-luggage (work apparatus which i don't trust to put in the hold) so i often have to queue up with these burbs!  Across this busy period I've encountered the following...

• A woman who packed 5 (five) boxes of perfume in her hand luggage and thought because they were unopened they would be allowed.
  • A man carrying a backpack which when they opened it just contained bags upon bags of walkers crisps and 3 chocolate milkshakes.
  • Another woman who literally had dozens of bottles, be it make-up remover, mouthwash, shampoo... they had to completely empty her scruffily packed mini-suitcase all over the counter top.  She had hairspray cans rolled up in her knickers!!!  Every time they found one she'd go "oh yeah I forgot about that" in the dumbest voice you've ever heard!
  • A guy who swore blind he had nothing in his bag, ranted for 20 minutes until his case was picked to be inspected, only for them to find an XL bottle of head and shoulders in there!
  • Finally the best one, a very fit young blonde girl who, when they opened up her bag and picked out a bottle of lubricant, nearly died of embarrassment.  Turns out it was for her boyfriends hair clippers, but by the time she'd realised and explained, she'd already gone a very deep shade of red.  The security guy who did the inspection had a grin on his face like he'd won the lottery when he first found it!  

I think they should impose some sort of moron rule for people like this, one where your passport gets stamped with some sort of appropriate emoji like this: ?.  Three stamps and you have to go into a special queue which takes 5 times as long.

• Haha 2

last weekend i had a flight cancelled at stansted so flew out of brum, the resealable bag for my toiletries got me through the scanner at stansted but it was "too big" for brum airport so i had to take everything out of one bag and put it in to a smaller bag they gave me

i have been on a stag do from east midlands where the stag had half the weatherspoons condiments in his bag and security didnt batter an eyelid, half litre bottle of red sauce

on the same stag do one of the lads decided to take this man spray - 

259.20151105123653207.1.jpg

they went **** nuts over that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Airport security - more specifically the people going through it.

Airport security is where you get to realise quite how stupid so much of the population is. I fly a couple of times most weeks and it staggers me that despite all the signs, people are entirely unready for the x-ray machines. Before I'm even in the queue, my wallet, watch, belt and phone are in my carry-on, all pockets emptied, laptop out and clear wash-bag in hand. I'd say 98% of people don't make even a tiny attempt to be ready when they get to the machines and then start the never ending job of emptying their pockets or fretting about not having a clear plastic bag.

I get it, not everyone flies regularly but there are literally millions of signs up telling you what to do and staff all over the place explaining what is expected yet the overwhelming majority of people just stand there dumb, and then get grumpy when they're told to follow the instructions.

• Like 1

i dont get ready before i reach the tray, takes me all of 30 seconds to throw everything in, ipad and toiletries are sat at the top of my bag ready to go, you dont need to take your belt off at most airports, think 2 weeks ago i went through one with a belt and cufflinks on and they dont really care

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

259.20151105123653207.1.jpg

they went **** nuts over that

Oh I can understand, because after all, a glass aftershave bottle shaped like a grenade is every bit as dangerous as a real grenade in these days of being completely incapable of differentiating context. 

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Oh I can understand, because after all, a glass aftershave bottle shaped like a grenade is every bit as dangerous as a real grenade in these days of being completely incapable of differentiating context. 

It's on a par with. "Whats in the violin Case"

• Haha 1

Â