Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Time dilation again. When did Pink Floyd's 'The Division Bell' come out? Hmmm, late Floyd, feels like about five years ago. If you told me ten, I'd raise an eyebrow. It was twenty. Jeezus.

• Like 2

Verified by Visa.

It's a frustrating useless peice of shit, and its implementation undermines every peice of internet awareness advice given to people in the past couple of decades. It couldn't look more like a phishing scam if they tried.

And I know the password they're claiming is incorrect is the same one that worked fine last week. Bastards.

Time dilation again. When did Pink Floyd's 'The Division Bell' come out? Hmmm, late Floyd, feels like about five years ago. If you told me ten, I'd raise an eyebrow. It was twenty. Jeezus.

I recall being told that the first Lord of the Rings film came out over ten years ago recently, and I refused to believe them until I Googled it.

Time like.

yep, early nineties wernt it. I ay got it but I've heard its good. Back OT and I'm so pissed off I aint in brazil, just saw the backdrop of the itv studio. What a sight, looks amazing.

More misinformed feminist guff in the Graniaud...

Why do women love The Walking Dead? It might be the lack of rape scenes

Game of Thrones may be the fanboy darling, but women prefer not to cringe through sexual violence amid zombie brains

88bde74d-0111-4615-be44-70f90fc3be39-460You don't have to be a sucker for post-apocalyptic gore to love The Walking Dead. Photograph: Gene Page / AMC via AP

I was not surprised to find out this week that AMC's zombie series The Walking Dead is not only the most popular show on US cable television history (sorry, Game of Thrones) but also the most popular television show among women (not sorry, Game of Thrones). I love The Walking Dead. Love. And it's not just because I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic gore narratives (at least, not entirely).

During a Producer's Guild discussion this past Sunday on "Courting the Female Audience", panelists noted that female viewers are looking for "nuance" and that they're more "discerning" than male viewers. But the observation that resonated most with me was from Debra Birnbaum, a contributing editor at Variety who said she finds it difficult to deal with the "rape and torture" upon which so many procedural dramas rely.

It may seem counterintuitive – after all, the show is bloody, has lots of violence, and can be, frankly, gross – but the The Walking Dead is missing one plot device on which so many other shows rely: rape.

Granted (and spoiler alert), there have been two near-rapes on The Walking Dead: one in which Maggie is forced to take her top off and gets shoved on a table by the show's ultimate villain, the Governor; and another in which Carl (a young boy) is almost raped before his father stops the assault. While these scenes were undoubtedly horrible and distressing, I've found myself largely relieved by the way the show chooses to depict and recognize sexual violence. There have been no rapes shown on camera and no gratuitous sexual assault – despite on-camera violence against women having become such an accepted trope in this, the golden age of television drama.

A common defense of the incredible amount of sexual violence on Game of Thrones, especially the current season finishing Sunday, is that rape would simply be a part of the show's world – it's the "reality", goes the argument by fans and George RR Martin himself, and Game of Thrones doesn't want to shy away from that. (For the record, I like and watch GoT, but the rape scenes - particularly those that were not rapes in the book - feel like a betrayal, not "realism".)

In a post-apocalyptic setting like the one on The Walking Dead, surely rape would be a reality as well – but you don't need to depict extreme sexual violence for millions of people on a television screen in order to maintain the authenticity of a compelling television series.

That rape is a regular part of The Walking Dead's world is hinted at several times throughout the series: we hear about rapes that have taken place, but we're not forced to endure watching them. For me, this makes all the difference.

Last year, I wrote about why I was taking a break from most TV dramas: women have to fear violence and sexual assault in their everyday life, so the fear of having to watch it so directly while supposedly being entertained was just too stressful. But knowing I can watch The Walking Dead – a violent, action-packed, drama with great writing, cinematography and one of the best characters on television (Michonne) – and not tense up every time a woman is alone on camera, well, that just makes the show so much more enjoyable to watch.

I bet I'm not the only one.

Maybe no on-screen violent rape is a low standard. I can certainly recognize it as a bit depressing. But when so many great choices on TV right now – from Game of Thrones to Law & Order SVU, and any number of summer binge-watching options – are all so dependent on the sexual violation of women, it's the little things that get you by. That, and zombie brains.

To be fair I don't watch GoT because the little I have seen it appears to be aimed squarely at virgin teenage boys - a fantasy world with swords, fighting and sex scenes.

The Hobbit, but with titties.

It's a nasty step backwards imo.

• Like 4

Out of 4 seasons, there is one half rape scene and a little bit of background rape at Craster's Keep.  That's it.

The Governor fiddling with Maggie in Walking Dead was just as disturbing.

yeah half rape and background rape is much better in all fairness

I might just have been unlucky and I haven't done an in depth study, but on a random sample of watching very occasional pieces of GoT it wasn't for me. It appeared to simply be a vehicle for showing semi naked women in a mysogynistic way. It was a bit too teenage two dimensional (rich, coming from someone that enjoys a bit of Tarantino!).

Don't get me wrong, I haven't studied dozens of episodes, but I have random sampled it. By the same token I'm not a prude that doesn't like to cop a sighting of some boob. The broadly comparable programme Da Vinci's Demons has gore and has sex scenes. But the women appear as equals. 

Not a big deal. Didn't mean it to look like a militant stance on my part. But not a programme I like the feel of.

Anyway, kick off soon. Must open the Dorito's and let them breathe.

• Like 3

To be fair I don't watch GoT because the little I have seen it appears to be aimed squarely at virgin teenage boys - a fantasy world with swords, fighting and sex scenes.

The Hobbit, but with titties.

It's a nasty step backwards imo.

Tbf that's exactly why i watched Spartacus

But GOT I switched off half way through the first episode , I just figured i wasnt nerdy and socially awkward enough to enjoy it

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Well considering she was complimenting another show that had a 'half rape'. (A more drawn out and uncomfortable scene too).

I can see why you may get that view from random sampling of GoT but it is so much deeper than that.

It features some of the most powerful and intelligent female characters on TV and although the sex is sometimes over the top, it is not pushed in a misogynstic way to the audience. It's a brutal world that is depicted and there's a lot of horrible stuff but the sex is usually used as a plot device, a sexual attack, a woman manipulating a man or a homosexual pairing it always (mostly) serves a purpose.

• Like 1

Â