Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I would definitely be discriminatory in a hiring process. No doubt in my mind that I would be. I don't think I could not be either.

Depends if you are going to be working with them directly.  If so, you pick the fit ones.

DrUnKeNbUm, you should just send her that post you just made as to why she got no dinner. I think she'd understand then :) I know people like her. They're to be avoided.

I would definitely be discriminatory in a hiring process. No doubt in my mind that I would be. I don't think I could not be either.

I think there'll always be an element of prejudice to proceedings (in the dictionary sense of the word rather than the Daily Mail interpretation of the word). That's just hard-wired human nature and a subconscious thing. Discrimination though is different. To me discrimination is a fully conscious decision to act completely subjectively based on an irrational and wholly incorrect set of your own guidelines ignoring any objectivity in the process. Discrimination is inherently unfair in all guises.

Depends if you are going to be working with them directly. If so, you pick the fit ones.

I would discriminate against fat people first. A bit fat is fine but anyone near obese levels I would strongly discriminate against.

The next would be in favour of attractive women. If i'm attracted to an interviewee I'll be biased towards her.

But race wouldn't register for me anyway. Possibly only a little in the 2nd case as I have a thing for hot middle eastern and Asian women.

Depends if you are going to be working with them directly. If so, you pick the fit ones.

The next would be in favour of attractive women. If i'm attracted to an interviewee I'll be biased towards her.

This er **ahem** er almost never happens to me..... *ahem* 

Just come back from the supermarket and on leaving with the shopping there were some cat charidee hawkers in the foyer of the shop. I made the fatal error of pausing as I thought I'd forgotten my card at the till and my usual tactic of blanking them and walking on by in silence was blown, she was on me straight away (reason number one for inclusion in this topic - charidee hawkers who talk to you without asking permission first.)

"Excuse me Sir, do you like cats?"

First thing that pops into my head is "No but I like Pussy", really had to fight the urge to blurt that out which ended up with me saying "No" and then bursting out into a fit of uncontrolled laughter

Now reason number two for inclusion here is puzzling me. Am I pissed off because I didn't say it? because I looked quite insane at that instant? because I always have these quite spontaneously insulting comments pop into my head and I have to fight the urge to say them ?(sometimes I don't fight the urge :mrgreen: )

tbh I think I wish I'd just said it now

• Like 4

yep.. should have said it.

I work by Snow Hill Station so going on on Lunch is like walking through a minefield as they are everywhere, although you can play a few games with the chuggers (charity muggers).

answer EVERY question with "hmmm... what do you think" or "but whats it all about" and see how long you can make the conversation last.

its like stringing along the people who phone you about your PPI, but with the added bonus of seeing their facial expressions.

I once told the accident helpline people who hang around by Sainsbury's / Wh Smith that I had shit myself, i kept him talking for a good 5 minutes before he eventually told me to go away.

Edited by DrUnKeNbUm

Reminds me of a Jimmy Carr joke (or more likely one he nicked off someone else).

Them : Sir, do you have a minute for cancer research?

Him : Sure, but we won't get much done.

It happens in Istanbul quite a lot with Greenpeace and the people who hand out leaflets for English courses. The Greenpeace lot usually spot you a mile off and approach in a strange gallop and a smile on their faces. It doesn't help that they're almost almost fit little petite students. I can speak enough Turkish to rebuke them but usually I go with the English option and say 'Not today!' in an Eddie Izzard fashion. 

Sometimes they speak English though and I have to backtrack and am forced to talk to them about saving dolphins in Japan or somewhere. 

Comparing two CV's of the same quality and picking one based on the ethnicity of the applicant is disgraceful no matter which way it's chosen.

If the two CVs are of the same quality and there's just the one job then the selection has to be down to something else.

Though I'm not a fan of 'positive discrimination' in a crude form, I can see how a policy of 'diversification' (if it's actually about that, i.e. improving under representation of certain groups - that could well be men, women, older people, younger people, parents, single people, minorities, non minorities, the tall, the fat, the short, the crass, the tactful, &c.. rather than meeting quotas or some such rubbish) ought to benefit an organization.

Not in any official capacity but they've long held the belief that high profile black ex-players haven't had as fair a crack of the whip as they should have had. Paul Ince and John Barnes being oft-cited examples of that.

dont think Ince is that bad but Barnes is hopeless, had a shocking time at Celtic.

then again they werent high profile players but Hughton and Chris Powell are doing decent jobs as managers but these are never mentioned by people like Barnes when they complaining

Comparing two CV's of the same quality and picking one based on the ethnicity of the applicant is disgraceful no matter which way it's chosen.

If the two CVs are of the same quality and there's just the one job then the selection has to be down to something else.

Though I'm not a fan of 'positive discrimination' in a crude form, I can see how a policy of 'diversification' (if it's actually about that, i.e. improving under representation of certain groups - that could well be men, women, older people, younger people, parents, single people, minorities, non minorities, the tall, the fat, the short, the crass, the tactful, &c.. rather than meeting quotas or some such rubbish) ought to benefit an organization.

Well in an ideal world for me, representation wouldn't be an issue because categorising people by race and ethnicity just draws attention to racial issues.  

For me, skin colour should matter as much as hair colour. 

Â