Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Well when I tell my chef to "cook off " those shallots before deglazing with white wine and adding butter....but each to their own I suppose

Genuine question.... Does "cook off" imply a different process to "cook?" 

well I could say cook to medium for a strip roast or steaks etc .....cook off would be cook to wd or 74oC

same as risotto ....I could say half cook the risotto blast chill it and finish it to order .....or cook off the risotto meaning finish the process 

Edited by Meath_Villan

Cook off is a noun and cook is a verb.

yes you can fry off courgette flowers tempura style, bit of a faff

is **** off a noun or a verb?

(I'm actually really disappointed in myself)

the really annoying bit is Ainsley Harriot was on some radio programme the other day and used the cook off / fry off phrase so many times it was really beginning to get on my tits and I moaned about it to Mrs 65

• Like 1

A cook off is a thing (noun) that implies some sort of competition between chefs/cooks.

You can 'cook off' ingredients.

You cook things.

The verb 'cook off' is a redundancy but the noun 'cook off' isn't.

Why say 'cooking competition' when you can say 'cook off'

I don't mind the noun cook-off (with the hyphen), meaning a competition.

But 'cook off' as a verb, no. Same goes for 'fry off'. And probably 'boil off', grill off', etc. 

I don't mind the noun cook-off (with the hyphen), meaning a competition.

But 'cook off' as a verb, no. Same goes for 'fry off'. And probably 'boil off', grill off', etc. 

Yeah that's fine. Because most things you 'cook off' don't even need to be cooked off. Alcohol doesn't get burned off, browning meat does nothing etc

the really annoying bit is Ainsley Harriot was on some radio programme the other day and used the cook off / fry off phrase so many times it was really beginning to get on my tits and I moaned about it to Mrs 65

I bet you cant wait for a few more (four) divorces

is **** off a noun or a verb?

(I'm actually really disappointed in myself)

tumblr_mc31lcqG6U1rfxgrzo1_400.gif

Â