Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I don't mind the noun cook-off (with the hyphen), meaning a competition.

But 'cook off' as a verb, no. Same goes for 'fry off'. And probably 'boil off', grill off', etc.

Yeah that's fine. Because most things you 'cook off' don't even need to be cooked off. Alcohol doesn't get burned off, browning meat does nothing etc

Wow you must be a terrible cook.

But 'cook off' as a verb, no. Same goes for 'fry off'. And probably 'boil off', grill off', etc.

Yeah that's fine. Because most things you 'cook off' don't even need to be cooked off. Alcohol doesn't get burned off, browning meat does nothing etc

Wow you must be a terrible cook.

Or I know the facts of bullshit cooking techniques. Look it up. Browning meat before you put it in a casserole does absolutely nothing and alcohol doesn't 'burn off' when you cook it.

Thanks for the dig though. Must appreciated.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Harry Styles telling GQ magazine he has only had sex with two people. Blatently followed that by saying up the wrong 'un under his breath.

Obviously 'it does something' (you can clearly see that so please don't flag me on such a pedantic point) but it doesn't seal in juices or any bollocks like that. Do a casserole with browning the meat and without and you'll find no real difference. 

Maybe it's worth it if you're making the sauce with the meat juices, but often you can make your own stocks that'll taste better than the Malliard reaction produced sauce.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I wouldn't want to eat any casserole or the like you cook. You'd just chuck it in and boil it without browning.

I do hope you realise you are completely wrong. How do you cook steak may I ask?

I'm not trying to have a go by the way. I love cooking, and I know a lot about it. I just want you to know that browning meat is not a myth. So don't be intransigent on this and go have a read on the topic.

Browning meat for the reasons people often state is a complete myth. I was overzealous with my 'does absolutely nothing' so I'll give you that but maybe if you hadn't have jumped on me and called me a terrible cook I wouldn't have reacted in a defensive way, eh.

I do brown my meat as well, but usually I cover it in flour and spices before the browning.

Obviously 'it does something' (you can clearly see that so please don't flag me on such a pedantic point) but it doesn't seal in juices or any bollocks like that. Do a casserole with browning the meat and without and you'll find no real difference.

Maybe it's worth it if you're making the sauce with the meat juices, but often you can make your own stocks that'll taste better than the Malliard reaction produced sauce.

The Maillard Reaction is a chemical reactions that happens between an amino acid and reducing sugar.

The sealing in of juices part isn't true. That comes from resting meat after cooking.

Anyway. I'm not trying to have a go here. Just trying to explain some things about cooking.

Also Alcohol has a boiling point lower than water so it'll evaporate before the water in any alcoholic drink like wine you put in.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Maillard Reaction. I'm headed for a steak dinner in Cambridge this evening with yone Portuguese hottie. :D

Well then you're definitely off topic :P:thumb:

• Like 1

The alcohol content won't burn off which is exactly what I meant. I know about the juices, which is exactly what I stated also. My mum never lets the steak rest and it falls apart.

If you weren't trying to have a go, your opening gambit wouldn't be 'wow you must be a terrible cook'.

Anyway, this is boring.

Well boil off could be a legitimate cooking direction, as in "boil off the excess water" or some such.

Â