Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I worked in a hotel for a few years, odd jobs, bar work, night porter.

There were most definitely opportunities with both staff and guests. From just teasing and flirting from older female staff and a definite full on proposition from the woman that worked in the office upstairs. To guests that were somewhat less than shy. It would get to a point where you could spot it a mile off. It’s a hotel so its a 24 hour bar, but it’s also inflated prices so inevitably due to budget and habit the bar would begin to wind down from 10:30. Once in a while there would be a middle aged couple quite clearly determined to be last in the bar. Then, inevitably, the give away would be that once the bar was empty it would be the lady that would come to the bar to buy the next round of drinks, tell me to get one for myself. Then pretty much cut to the chase of either we could go upstairs and leave the hubby downstairs, or all three of us could go upstairs. Pretty practical and matter of fact about it sometimes. Just got straight out asked once if I could sustain a shag without coming in the first 5 minutes and was I any good at going down.

Very rarely, maybe two or three times in total someone would have a second attempt, order room service and invariably either answer the door topless, or be starkers in the background when hubby answered the door. 

It was all a bit Confessions of a Nightporter. 

Genuinely, I always politely declined. I had a girlfriend, I’m a nice guy.

I have a fair few years in hotels/pubs/inns etc in my younger life, but i really connect with this post. twice I was outright offered a threesome (the good kind for my sexual preference) Both times I declined, once where I just wasn't really interested and once that I don't regret as such, because of staying faithful to the relationship I was in at the time, but 2 of the waitresses propositioned me and I often hope parrallel universe Marv had a fun night. Some of my colleagues though, I don't know why they were in relationships at all, all sorts of shennanigans, but then different stokes I suppose.

The story I always think of was when I caught a barmaid verbally ripping into some customers, an undeniable warning offence and while my manager agreed with me, he just would not make it a formal warning and I was a bit pissed off he'd undemined me. Took a few months there for the penny to drop that he was knocking her off on the sly.

It's a lot less fun when someones husband catches them fellating some guy in the car park though, but I wont dampen the saucy mood.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 12:01, Rugeley Villa said:

It just sounds depressing doesn’t it “Merthyr Tydfil “  

The Merthyr matchstick, think there is a statue of him 

died attempting to win the world title

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Sad 1

On 04/11/2023 at 12:01, Rugeley Villa said:

It just sounds depressing doesn’t it “Merthyr Tydfil “  

There's sadness in the name Ruge, Saint Tydfil the martyr. It was a church set up and built by the martyred (murdered) daughter of King Brychen Brecheiniog. Known for her compassion and healing skills.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Johnny was a regular sight running over the mountains as part of his training. I was once in a cafe in Brecon and he was in front of me in the queue. He'd run all the way from Cyfarthfa Park to Brecon alongside the A470, which must be the best part of 20 miles (not exactly the safest road to run alongside either, especially back then) and it was clearly a regular thing as he was just having his "usual" fry up and the staff clearly knew him well. He ate it and then his trainer turned up to drive him back up to Merthyr. But you'd see him running over the mountains every day, he was loved by everyone, such a gentle man tbh no aggression outside the ring at all. He was a folk hero, not just in Merthyr but in all the surrounding valleys, everyone talked about him and where they'd seen him running. Whole communities were genuinely in shock when he died.

• Like 2

Looking at work today, there's an email from someone chasing something. The email had no details on what it's actually about. The email they had originally sent has no details on what it's about.

Cue various emails to various teams asking if they know what on earth this is about. None do.

Sigh.

Pick up phone. Generic office number. Great.

'Hi, can I speak to *emailer*?'

'Yes of course, can I take your postcode?'

'I'm not calling from a customer, I'm calling from *employer*'

'Oh ok, let me put you through'

*Five minutes on hold* Realise this is going to be a nightmare.

'Hi *me*, it's *emailer*, how can I help?'

'Hi. You've sent some chaser emails to us, but unfortunately I've no idea what these are, what they are about, or anything. So can you advise what this is for?'

*five minute long conversation where every detail given is like pulling teeth and every one means as much to me as a drill does to a spaniel*

'Ok. The details you've given don't tie up with anything we do. I suspect they relate to a different team, and possibly a different part of the company entirely. Can you send me the email that prompted your emails and I'll try to get this moving for you on our side' ...*even though it's nothing to do with me*

'Yeah sure thanks'

Ten minutes pass.

Email received.

Read emails attached.

See that this relates to a completely different company, and only happened because someone decided not to just reply to an email chain.

• Haha 1

Talking of emails. After so prior correspondence I received this from GM Police yesterday...

I am going to put a Production Order in to Manchester Courts for release of the information later today.

From reviewing your flowchart you sent me, it states that you are given the opportunity to attend if required.

Just for your information the application will be made electronically and therefore a hearing date cannot be given.

To which I replied...

Hi,

You realise the very statement you’ve made in this email is in breach of PACE?

From the very form you are filling in

(d) If you did not give formal written notice of this application to the respondent(s), was that because: you gave them informal notice and they confirmed that they did not require formal notice? you believe there to be good reasons why the respondent(s) should not be given notice at all? Explain clearly and succinctly the grounds for your belief. The court must be satisfied that your grounds for belief are reasonable.

The latter is a pretty high bar to achieve, especially given this company’s history of assisting the Police.

And also…

(4) Application in the absence of the respondent(s), etc.
If you want the court to deal with this application in the absence of the respondent(s) and / or in the
absence of any other person who would be affected by the production order if it were made, tick as
many of the following boxes as apply and give details.
(a) The court can deal with this application without the respondent(s) because:
the respondent(s) has / have waived the opportunity to attend.

it would prejudice the investigation if the respondent(s) were present.
Give details:

And the latter in that instance isn't something you'll be able to satisfy a court of in these circumstances we aren't under investigation and have no connection to your subject.

Is it really too much to ask that you do this properly? I’ve returned a fair few POs to the court for similar.

I suggest you start again and send me the wording you intent to put in the application so I can advise of what is and isn’t possible and I’m also very particular about the wording on applications. I do not like nebulous wording such as “All data”, I require that the items you require are specifically listed i.e. date, time, booking reference number etc.

As long as I am satisfied with the wording, I will waive our right to attend any hearing but I can’t do that as yet because you haven’t informed me of what is in the application.

A response wasn't forthcoming yesterday but this morning I received

I put the following “Just for your information the application will be made electronically and therefore a hearing date cannot be given.”  In order for you to be aware and for you to let me know if wanted to attend any hearing then I could have made contact with the court for a date.

To which I responded

You don't really expect me to take that seriously do you?

More grovelling was received

7 hours ago, bickster said:
22 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Johnny was a regular sight running over the mountains as part of his training. I was once in a cafe in Brecon and he was in front of me in the queue. He'd run all the way from Cyfarthfa Park to Brecon alongside the A470, which must be the best part of 20 miles (not exactly the safest road to run alongside either, especially back then) and it was clearly a regular thing as he was just having his "usual" fry up and the staff clearly knew him well. He ate it and then his trainer turned up to drive him back up to Merthyr. But you'd see him running over the mountains every day, he was loved by everyone, such a gentle man tbh no aggression outside the ring at all. He was a folk hero, not just in Merthyr but in all the surrounding valleys, everyone talked about him and where they'd seen him running. Whole communities were genuinely in shock when he died.

Cheers for that. Interesting and sad wiki page. The Pintor fight sounds awful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Looking at work today, there's an email from someone chasing something. The email had no details on what it's actually about. The email they had originally sent has no details on what it's about.

Cue various emails to various teams asking if they know what on earth this is about. None do.

Sigh.

Pick up phone. Generic office number. Great.

'Hi, can I speak to *emailer*?'

'Yes of course, can I take your postcode?'

'I'm not calling from a customer, I'm calling from *employer*'

'Oh ok, let me put you through'

*Five minutes on hold* Realise this is going to be a nightmare.

'Hi *me*, it's *emailer*, how can I help?'

'Hi. You've sent some chaser emails to us, but unfortunately I've no idea what these are, what they are about, or anything. So can you advise what this is for?'

*five minute long conversation where every detail given is like pulling teeth and every one means as much to me as a drill does to a spaniel*

'Ok. The details you've given don't tie up with anything we do. I suspect they relate to a different team, and possibly a different part of the company entirely. Can you send me the email that prompted your emails and I'll try to get this moving for you on our side' ...*even though it's nothing to do with me*

'Yeah sure thanks'

Ten minutes pass.

Email received.

Read emails attached.

See that this relates to a completely different company, and only happened because someone decided not to just reply to an email chain.

You are too polite and thorough.

You just needed to send back a short email:

"U Wot m8

Regards,

Chindie"

Job done ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Annual post about how **** shit fireworks are. A couple of houses within my postcode each night just get to disturb thousands of people with their bullshit. Sick to death of the **** things.

If nothing else in the situation the world finds itself in, is burning megatons of fireworks each year really a great idea? 

Kind of like putting a couple of pebbles in your pocket each year before jumping into the sea. 

Â