Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think I understand now.  Cheers guys, saves me a shitty phone call where I'd end up feeling like an idiot at the end of it.  I did change jobs recently and put on an emergency tax code and earnt quite a lot more, I guess this is catching up.  Still sucks balls.

Why feel like an idiot with an anonymous person on the phone when you can feel like an idiot with people you know in a public forum :mrgreen:

• Haha 2

Talking about the ridiculousness of the tax office...

I got smacked with a huge tax bill in April last year - around 1200 quid due to changing jobs at the end of the year and my new job not taking into account my prior earnings.

We'd just moved into our house, so whilst I could have afforded if I wanted to, we had so many outgoings it wasn't realistic at all.

So I went to the tax office, put in an appeal to pay the amount off every month for 6 months. With evidence of outgoings, salaries etc etc.

They said they'd give me an answer within a month, so in the meantime I paid the first installment.

Time goes by, I keep paying, they keep sending me letters saying they're reviewing my case. We get to October, I've paid it off, they still have no decision whether they accept installments.

It goes quiet for a bit. Last week I get an 8 page letter, listing in the strongest possible terms why they don't accept my ridiculous suggestion that I pay in installments, I have enough money to pay for it and I should get over myself and pay it right now.

They spent nearly a year to tell me no, with a final decision 4 months after it's paid off doing exactly what they told me I can't do.

Such a waste of oxygen.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Can't remember who did it, but there was a spoof recruiting ad back in the 70s that went something like - Join the army. Learn a trade. Travel the world. Meet interesting people. And kill them. 

dunno about a spoof ad but i had a Jasper Carrot  book way way back that had that quote in it ( he published a couple of these "witty " sayings books , not sure if it was being passed off as original material or just random quotes and stuff ) 

Movie wise its in the great McGonagall where Queen Victoria says it McGonagall ( Spike Milligan) and  its also used  in a slightly different form in Full metal jacket 

So i guess its quite well used but no idea where it originated from 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

@sharkyvilla if you have the £500 spare you could ring them up, pay it and get them to put your tax code back to how it was.

There's not really a good reason to do this is there? It's essentially an interest free loan, better to have that few hundred quid in your bank as you pay it in installments

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pita is old skool, they always used to come in pita. Naan is a much newer thang

Yeah he's definitely in the right thread. Kebabs should come in pita.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

There's a whole area of jurisprudence that looks into this and the different ideas behind sentencing criminals with one being purposefully trying to not only deter repeat offences but make people afraid to do the crime in the first place (like the death penalty). Was a fascinating study and one of my favourite areas on my degree but sadly no real right answer (just crime law vs morality - another favourite study).

After reading the various posts on this thread and taking my owne experiance into consideration I have come to the conclusion that.I spent time in a boys home and learnt my lesson from that one time.There obviously are a lot of people out there that,either dont learn or dont care.Dont get me wrong,my experiance was not terrible but it was bad enough to teach me that I did not want to go through that again.

Makes you wonder.Have peoples attitudes changed or has the system changed over the years ( I was in a boys home in the 60s )

There's a new kebab place opened up near me called Daddy BBQ (which is either the worst or best name, I can't decide), their bread has the structure of a pita but the fluffy thickness of a naan.  It's amazing. 

They're real generous with the sucuk side too. None of this a-couple-of-thin-slices malarkey, they'll happily bang a few whole sausages right in there, BFK*.

*-Bracing For Kenneth

• Haha 1

Define "kebab" if you're talking the big uns that rotate (hence the gyro - literally greek for spin) that they then slice the meat then 100% its a pita

If you're talking smaller chunks invidually skewered then I'd lean more towards a naan

My understanding is kebab means skewered so it's different things, this should not be anywhere near a naan bread

Traditional greek gyros -Fotos und -Bildmaterial in hoher Auflösung – Alamy

Edited by villa4europe

52 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

There's a new kebab place opened up near me called Daddy BBQ (which is either the worst or best name, I can't decide), their bread has the structure of a pita but the fluffy thickness of a naan.  It's amazing. 

They're real generous with the sucuk side too. None of this a-couple-of-thin-slices malarkey, they'll happily bang a few whole sausages right in there, BFK*.

*-Bracing For Kenneth

image.png.091755f24a678c287521fe7872d2357f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The pocket pita bread, which I have never had once in Greece, is an abomination, tasteless and pointless. Greek flatbread, thats different.

I too have never once had that kind of bread in Greece either. 

I must go there one day. 

Edited by sidcow

Pitas are better for leaving overnight, soaking up all the fat that would otherwise congeal into a yellow lump at the bottom of the polystyrene box and bingo-bongo you've got yourself a delicious breakfast.

• Haha 1

Â