Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Went to the office today - nice to see people and had a catch up with a mate at lunchtime, but **** hell, not productive at all. 2 hours in total travelling and I struggle to focus with noise around me now! Catch up day tomorrow. WFH has spoilt me. No way could I do 5 days in an office. 

I did go to Starbucks though, so that will please Boris and the Daily Mail. Keep the economy ticking over! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went to the office today - nice to see people and had a catch up with a mate at lunchtime, but **** hell, not productive at all. 2 hours in total travelling and I struggle to focus with noise around me now! Catch up day tomorrow. WFH has spoilt me. No way could I do 5 days in an office. 

I did go to Starbucks though, so that will please Boris and the Daily Mail. Keep the economy ticking over! 

Same with me. I really struggle to concentrate when I’m in the office and actually get any work done now. I was noticing my colleagues doing exactly the same. 

Looking forward to catching up tomorrow, just me and the quiet sound of the radio. 

• Like 3

Same here, I have to go in soon to collect new work mobile but I really cba. I know I’ll be annoyed by all the distractions, noise of people on the phone, noise of people chatting near my desk, noise of people eating near me.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2022 at 18:04, Xela said:

I may be guilty of this... and overuse of brackets (sometimes). 

If done improperly, it can be quite a pa(ren)thetic way to post.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Absolutely, just think of all that Corporation Tax that they will pay because of it. 

7 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Absolutely, just think of all that Corporation Tax that they will pay because of it. 

Oh come on. I'm sure they'll make a public statement announcing that they've complied with all the rules but nevertheless will agree to pay a couple of million out of the goodness of their heart only for which we should all be grateful. 

Their shops are probably each making losses of tens of thousands each year, it's a miracle they can keep trading really. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Definitely NTA. 

Really? I'd say he's the asshole and it's a tragic relationship with crap communication if he thinks it's reasonable to "surprise" his partner with a visit from his mother. It's one thing to have someone pop in for a bit and say hello, but inviting them to come and stay the day?

The pregnancy hardly even factors into it for me, you don't just invite someone over to your home all day without discussing it, surely? I'd be absolutely fuming if my in laws came over all day as a "surprise".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really? I'd say he's the asshole and it's a tragic relationship with crap communication if he thinks it's reasonable to "surprise" his partner with a visit from his mother. It's one thing to have someone pop in for a bit and say hello, but inviting them to come and stay the day?

The pregnancy hardly even factors into it for me, you don't just invite someone over to your home all day without discussing it, surely? I'd be absolutely fuming if my in laws came over all day as a "surprise".

I can only go off my relationship with my in law and my wife's relationship with her in laws. The value of my mother against her mother is unimportant, both are grandmother's and my feeling is that if her mother were alive, she would have been invited around almost immediately but as less weight is put on the father's mother, then it becomes an issue. That said, we have dipped into Mumsnet territory here so mileage varies and it's just my take on it. 

As if any son wants their mother in the delivery room. That alone tells me they've got a weird relationship.

Imagine your grown husband being so obsessed with mummy you have to tell him the reason you don't want his mum to watch you tearing your downsides in half squeezing a human out is because your mum isn't alive to see it. Any other excuse would probably be deemed insufficient and end with a 'surprise' guest arriving just as you're crowning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My elder daughter specifically wanted her mum (i.e. my wife), as well as her husband, present at the birth of her first child. Mrs M had no great desire to be there, but complied with the request. I simply waited at home as standby taxi driver. 

No mum’s present at ours.

But I will tell you this absolute 100% true, on my eyes, true, true story.

The midwife had the radio on.

During the delivery: Keep On Pushing, The Impressions.

Upon delivery, me cuddling slightly gunky new baby: Theme tune from the X Files

Absolute true story, no anecdotal bending of the light to make it funnier.

Â