Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The lad I asked to be my best man said no, he doesn't want to do a speech

I had to deliver a eulogy for one of my best mates who just died of cancer, last week , it's surprising how nerve racking it is to get up in front of a group of strangers and deliver a speech ... But events like funerals and weddings everyone is on your side and you soon relax so he has nothing to worry about ... But you could always say he doesn't have to do one , I didn't have any speeches or toasts at my wedding 

I think that is fair enough.

It is something I just couldn't do. I don't want people thinking I am a prick either. I CAN NOT stand up in a room full of people and talk.

The words don't come out, my hands shake, my face goes red. I start to sweat. Horrible.

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm always surprised by how many people have this stage fright thing about public speaking. It's something I've always quite enjoyed doing.

Me too. It is one of the reasons why I love teaching so much. (And before Tony says anything, yes I do love all the time off too!)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm always surprised by how many people have this stage fright thing about public speaking. It's something I've always quite enjoyed doing.

It's just (degrees of ) introvert / extrovert basically, isn't it? 

• Like 1

It's just (degrees of ) introvert / extrovert basically, isn't it? 

I guess so. Oddly, I like it less if I have too much preparation time, as I start over-thinking things. I'm happier just winging it.

• Like 2

I'm ok if I've got a PowerPoint presentation to spend half my time looking at and jogging my memory as to what I'm supposed to talk about, but I don't think that would work in a best man speech.  I gave my mate more than a few hints about choosing someone other than me to be best man for his wedding which I'm glad he took on board.  I'd be absolutely shocking.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That's because you were a much loved only child sent by Jesus to bless your parents' latter years and every time you did anything you were greeted with adoring smiles, while the rest of us were told to stop showing off, and to shut the **** up.:)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I guess so. Oddly, I like it less if I have too much preparation time, as I start over-thinking things. I'm happier just winging it.

Self assessment is a wonderful thing, but some of the best pitches and presentations I've given have been where I was a last minute stand in for my boss who'd thrown a wobbler and couldn't do it. No time to fret and none of the real pressure that you'd get from 2 weeks of prep time.

Self assessment is a wonderful thing, but some of the best pitches and presentations I've given have been where I was a last minute stand in for my boss who'd thrown a wobbler and couldn't do it. No time to fret and none of the real pressure that you'd get from 2 weeks of prep time.

Yep, same here. I was always the go-to guy for doing those gigs.

That's because you were a much loved only child sent by Jesus to bless your parents' latter years and every time you did anything you were greeted with adoring smiles, while the rest of us were told to stop showing off, and to shut the **** up.[emoji4]

Probably true, yeah. [emoji1]

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Genie said:

My brothers house was robbed whilst they were out bowling last night. 

The just took what they could carry easily, my nephews ps3, some games,  2 kindles and some cash. Bastards.

Sister in law called Amazon today and told them the 2 kindles that they bought 3 weeks ago had been stolen and they are sending out replacements free of charge! That's incredible service.

I'm gonna try and get my nephew a cheap replacement ps3... 

I've been out this morning and got the lad (6) a replacement PS3. I was amazed not only that CEX were open today but all their stuff comes with a 2 year warranty. Can't really go wrong for that alone.

• Like 3

Same.

As long as its something I can prepare and/or know a lot about then I quite enjoy it.

If its something I haven't prepared though, like if I give a presentation and I get asked a question about something I don't know, then I do get pretty nervous

• Like 1

Since my best pal got married, all his friends are now his wife's friends, so we rarely see him. I've just had the most disrespectful text from him, a random sent to everyone. Goes along the lines of, "its my Birthday Saturday, we are going into town, feel free to pop down". It may be a bit selfish, but I would rather have had a personal text instead of one he sends the world. I guess we move on, but i'm one who never forgets his pals, an still find time to go down the local for a drink with mates, although i've just had my first child.

On Friday, January 01, 2016 at 14:44, foreveryoung said:

Since my best pal got married, all his friends are now his wife's friends, so we rarely see him. I've just had the most disrespectful text from him, a random sent to everyone. Goes along the lines of, "its my Birthday Saturday, we are going into town, feel free to pop down". It may be a bit selfish, but I would rather have had a personal text instead of one he sends the world. I guess we move on, but i'm one who never forgets his pals, an still find time to go down the local for a drink with mates, although i've just had my first child.

Tell him to fook off.

• Like 2

Â