Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, and he was tfe (Talking For Effect) - he also claimed to be In The Know about the JFK assassination. You, as a pro musician, must realise that there are no 'wrong' ways to play music (Schönberg says 'hi'). Not liking The Beatles is fine, but - in the context of pop music (especially in the 1960s), they were superb - despite, or because of, their limitations as self-taught rockers. 

I would say actually as someone who has worked hard to become an instrumentalist it's irritating that pop music is so fickle and full of chance. It's annoying that it's not a meritocracy. People who happened to be in the right place at the right time (the Beatles being a boy band for years) then being held up as musical geniuses can stick in ones craw somewhat. During the later Beatles years they were surrounded by the best engineers, producers and session musicians of the time. No-one in pop had really had that opportunity before and it came to them not by hard work and dedication, but by their success as a boy band with silly haircuts.

I don't hate them and I'll always support someone from a blue collar background making it financially. But ultimately I just never liked the music - it doesn't speak to me. I'm sure there are far more eloquent and nuanced arguments out there about the good and bad of the Beatles, and, back on topic, I'm sure some good documentaries too. :D

In answer to @tonyh29 I'm sure living with the level of fame that QJ has had for so long makes you eccentric. I used to hang out with a ballerina that dated QJ. There were some interesting stories for sure...

• Like 2

The workers Cup.

About the migrant workers/slaves who are building the stadiums for the 2022 Qatar World Cup and their only past time that is a football tournament arranged between them.

Bildresultat för the workers cup

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ikantcpell said:

One of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen that's for sure. None of the emoji responses seemed appropriate. It has allegedly been the single cause in some peoples vegetarianism. The power of filmmaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

One of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen that's for sure. None of the emoji responses seemed appropriate. It has allegedly been the single cause in some peoples vegetarianism. The power of filmmaking.

It was for me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

It has allegedly been the single cause in some peoples vegetarianism. The power of filmmaking.

On that basis I'm not gonna risk watching it  :)  ...  I refuse to live in a world without bacon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On that basis I'm not gonna risk watching it  :)  ...  I refuse to live in a world without bacon

It's harsh but it's real. I suppose the shock factor is whether you are aware of how meat ends up on a supermarket shelf and whether you think the UK/the EU or anywhere else in the west is in some way more or less moral when it comes to meat production. Aren't we better on chickens and pigs n that than other places? well, not really no is the answer.

Ultimately it didn't make me give up the bacon or the lamb or the beef - even the chickens. But it did make me even more determined to try to find out where the meat I eat comes from. I cant claim to be on a moral crusade - I still buy random bacon in bacon sandwiches when I give in, I still crave a dirty kebab from time to time. Drunkenness is a bit of a leveller and I'll shove a dirty burger down my neck. I don't ask the takeaway where they source their food when I phone a curry. But outside of that I only buy meat from the butchers, not the supermarkets. Being in Wales makes it kinda hard not to know a few farmers, having a pub in the hills for a few years meant I ended up helping a few out on their farms. Lamb is kind of easy in that regard. keep them stocked with fields of grass and apart from the vets and the feed that's pretty much about it. I think castration has pretty much stopped as a standard practice (It made the meat sweeter don't you know......obs it didn't but that was the justification) but I bet 'tailing' still goes on everywhere (Cut the tails off as lambs and it stops them getting rot in great numbers due to the proximity to excrement. Sadly it's only because it's more cost effective to treat them fairly normally and they can be reared on craggy hilltops that aren't much use for anything else that we still do it that way. If it saved £10 a carcass to shove 'em in a cage and shove grain down their necks we probably would.

The treatment of the animals once they have left the farm is still a massive issue though. BSE and then the foot and mouth disease meant DEFRA bringing in laws governing the slaughter of animals. It's illegal for farmers to kill their own animals for their freezers and such and it's illegal for them to do anything other than send them off to the government approved slaughter houses. I cant imagine the rules being any different for cows, pigs, chickens but I have no idea. And that this is not a call for unregulated meats entering the food chain from random sources, just we have criminalised farmers who would like to base the slaughter of their animals around anything other than efficiency. They aren't particularly happy about that in the main I find.

Anyway I digress - I knew a girl who worked heavily in 'Fairtrade' stuff a few years back. she said a thing that always stuck with me while I was in the middle of some typically negative VM rant about fairtrade coffee tasting rank and no one having much evidence about where the money goes, cant trust the corporations and yadda yadda yadda. She pointed out that it wasn't really the point to her. What mattered was when I was at the shelf choosing my coffee or sugar that I actually thought about where it came from and questioned the ethics of how it got there. And I think she was right, (well, I thought we were BOTH right ;) of course). But she has a good point.

Anyway, getting it back on track a bit and not in the same class as documentaries go but 'Cowspiracy' is probably about a 7/10 type of film imo with an interesting question at the heart of it though. And much less horrible gory slaughter house/vivisection footage.

• 3 weeks later...

Started watching the defiant ones on netflix, not sure how many episodes it is, its about dr dre and his producer / business partner and how they ended up selling beats for $3bn, 2 episodes in and dre just left NWA and the other bloke has ended his relationship with stevie nicks and is working with U2

If you liked straight out of compton it adds a lot more meat to the bones

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:15, TheAuthority said:

(the Beatles being a boy band for years

I may be wrong, of course, but I tempted to think the definition of a 'boy band' is a group of youths who don't actually play an instrument. McCartney, I am told by bass players I have played with was pretty good and whilst Ringo was no Jeff Porcaro even Buddy Rich stated that he had a great sense of rhythm. I wonder if a lot of the Beatles critics weren't around to endure what teenagers were subjected to before they burst on the scene. Apologies for going so far off topic.

Deep Water

In 1968, Donald Crowhurst, an inexperienced British sailor, puts up his home as collateral, gains financial backing and enters the Golden Globe, the first nonstop boat race around the world. Under dire financial pressure, Crowhurst decides to set sail before his boat is fully built, leaving it unprepared for the stresses of the open ocean. Crowhurst is under-prepared himself, and his decision to embark before he and his vessel are ready sets a deadly chain of events into motion.

Worth a watch. Very interesting story that I knew nothing about.

New US Netflix documentary "Trump, An American Dream." Lots of interviews with people who have known him over his life.

4 parts beginning with his fathers real estate business and the 4th part goes all through to his political career and ends with the arrival of the four horseman.*

Just watching Part 1 which is detailed and well made.

*This may not be true I haven't watched it all yet

• 3 weeks later...

There was a documentary on Waco on Channel 5 the other night. Turns out that one of the few survivors, Derek Lovelock regularly comes into my place of work. Just today he asked me where we keep the squirty cream. Still considers himself a Branch Davidian too. Very weird.

In light of Avicii's recent passing, I happened upon the 2017 fly-on-the-wall documentary about him called "True Stories".  It was released just after he had retired from touring in 2016 due to ill-health.  Given that it was made and released while he was still alive, and it was still quite current, I thought it'd be an interesting insight, and it was.  It actually made his death all the more sad.  He wasn't well for a lot of the documentary, and personality-wise he wasn't cut out for that high life.  The textbook 'nerd making tunes in a bedroom' type guy.  But you could see he was a genuinely decent aul' skin too.  What was also interesting was the quite remarkably high regard his peers held him in.  I know it was a documentary about him, but they went into why he was a bit special.  So yeah, check it out if you're in any way interested.  Gave me an appreciation of him that I didn't have previously.

47e102cdd89a40817666747a30bcc0b8.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this over the weekend

631d4fe570c5d6d5c42919174a6faf3b.jpg

Decent enough. To be honest i expected slightly better with it being HBO, but it's a really good insight into his life. I also watched it with the OH who has absolutely zero interest or knowledge of wrestling, and she really enjoyed it. So I think it's one of them where you don't need to be interested in the "sport" to enjoy the documentary.

Unfortunately I had to "acquire" it. Finding a legal way to watch it at this point seemed impossible.

Edited by Stevo985

Â