Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

His last big pay day won't be at VP thank you very much

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

I disagree

He's won the FA Cup and Premier League since leaving us whilst we've generally flirted with relegation.

I was also gutted when he left but this is churlish at best

When you say you were also gutted when he left I hope your not including me in that remark because I was happy to see the back of him. Great International player, average premier League player who is a carthorse. Yes, he has his medals, but I think you'll find he has an even bigger bank balance.

Am I unhappy about that? No. If he can earn good money then good luck to him. However, don't insult my intelligence by claiming your main reason for leaving is to win medals.

Sorry! I'm not buying into that.

Also, anybody who doesn't want to stay & play for the club I love & support can clear off as far as I am concerned.

Let me put it this way, to you & anybody else visiting this site

Would you change your allegiance to follow Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc etc to see them win trophies?

I think you all know what my answer will be!

Poor analogy if you ask me. You're comparing being a fan to someone's career.

Let me ask you this... Would you play professional football for Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea if they came a knocking?

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

I disagree

He's won the FA Cup and Premier League since leaving us whilst we've generally flirted with relegation.

When you say you were also gutted when he left I hope your not including me in that remark because I was happy to see the back of him. Great International player, average premier League player who is a carthorse. Yes, he has his medals, but I think you'll find he has an even bigger bank balance.

Am I unhappy about that? No. If he can earn good money then good luck to him. However, don't insult my intelligence by claiming your main reason for leaving is to win medals.

Also, anybody who doesn't want to stay & play for the club I love & support can clear off as far as I am concerned.

Would you change your allegiance to follow Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc etc to see them win trophies?

Let me ask you this... Would you play professional football for Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea if they came a knocking?

I've often thought about this, but I'd stay at Villa for as long as they wanted me. But I've been a fan for as long as I can remember.

I disagree

No, No a thousand times No.

I'm 100% Villa . Would I like to play in a Villa shirt & whup the arse of all those teams? Yes! Absolutely.

I'm checking off this site for now but here's the bottom line

Fat Boy did not want to stick around & play for this club & left at the first concrete opportunity to jump ship after previously having stunk the place out with similar claims when FSW failed to come up with £12M to take him to Liverpool 12 months earlier & completely blew his mind.

Take your final swan song somewhere else!

I'm surprised a lot of people are in favour of his move to be honest. He's not going to be the player he was when he left us and whilst he would be a good signing for £1million or something if he was used in some sort of rotation system there's the worry of his wage demand. We're getting rid of Bent, Ireland & Given due to their wages and lack of playing time.

I don't want to see him take first team opportunities away from the likes of Westwood, Delph, Sylla and others and also have a big wage.

Barry was not a villa fan like you are though.

Also very easy to say you'd stay at one club when you're not living that life.

I think nearly all footballers would go to a club where they can win things and earn more money.

• Like 2

Pretty lame to say he left for the money. He earned good money already, he left a sinking ship and has won trophies since then. I do not blame him at all. Besides, do you really think a professional player cares about what team he supports as a kid? That is the difference, we normal people watch the thing on TV and they play it, it's their job for god's sake. Arsenal-fans said the same thing when Van Persie left for United; it's not the trophies it's the money. I have never seen him so happy when he lifted the first trophy. The cash is a bonus of course, but we have to remember that these players want opportunities and they want to travel the world. Victor Valdes is leaving Barca in a year, because he wants to discover other parts of the world. But hey, I guess it's just the money.

• Like 1

I disagree

No, No a thousand times No.

I'm 100% Villa . Would I like to play in a Villa shirt & whup the arse of all those teams? Yes! Absolutely.

I'm checking off this site for now but here's the bottom line

Fat Boy did not want to stick around & play for this club & left at the first concrete opportunity to jump ship after previously having stunk the place out with similar claims when FSW failed to come up with £12M to take him to Liverpool 12 months earlier & completely blew his mind.

Take your final swan song somewhere else!

Okay, HUGELY hypothetical here, but let's say the opportunity to play for Villa isnt an option and you're playing for another PL team AGAINST Villa. You're one on one with the keeper in the last minute and you could win a crucial match for your employer.

What do you do?

speed-keanu-reeves-3222278-355-400.jpg

What do you do?

Gareth Barry is a top bloke and loves Villa - that is a fact.  As Stan has retired, I feel we need someone who will be a great ambassador for the club and knows the game inside out.  Barry is that man.  Would love him back.

• Like 1

He is on about £100k pw at Man City and we would probably not pay him half of that given his age so it won't happen. GB did many good things in a Villa shirt but that is in past and we should be looking to the future.

An absurdly slow player well into the downslope of his career who commands a wage that would make Darren Bent blush. He seems to fit the bill, bring him in.  <_<

If Barry was still a youth player at Brighton then we'd be interested. He's not though is he.

This is a difficult one for me as i have advocated more balance in our team between experience and youth but i have to say no to Barry coming back.

He's not the powerhouse DM that i feel we still need although Sylla might evolve into that and he's not the AM mid we need either. While never having a turn of pace, he was, while with us, quick enough to get by in the Premiership but when i watched him play for Man City last season i was actually shocked at how slow he has become. Now whether that is due to losing another yard of pace or quite simply sticking out like a sore thumb with quicker players around him i don't know but i feel the same would apply to our team now where he wouldn't fit in the same way that Bent no longer does.

Another poster stated in this thread that Barry was on the decline and sadly i have to agree.

Barry was a very decent part of our past but he is no longer the future of Aston Villa Football Club.  

Okay, HUGELY hypothetical here, but let's say the opportunity to play for Villa isnt an option and you're playing for another PL team AGAINST Villa. You're one on one with the keeper in the last minute and you could win a crucial match for your employer.

What do you do?

speed-keanu-reeves-3222278-355-400.jpg

What do you do?

I would score. Wouldn't celebrate, whether I'd played for Villa previously or not.

Unless its a more important game for Villa (say relegation decider or chase for Champions League). Then I boot it past Row Z, smile as I do so and run around screaming at the final whistle and reveal my Claret and Blue shirt.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Would love Barry back, exactly the player we need but wages will be to much unless he wants to take a massive pay cut to rejoin. People say about not breaking up our midfield 3? Delph is hardly likely to be fit for a season and Barry is far better than Westwood.

If we did sign Barry he would have forced his way into our team within weeks anyway.

Â