Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Barry simply isn't that good any more, especially not considering the salary he would demand. If we want to calm the youngster's heads and better the team, let's hire a(nother) sports psychologist and channel the rest of the money towards Belhanda.

No thanks.  I'm quite happy with Westwood and Sylla.

I'm not. Our midfield had rings run around it all of last season. Lets not pretend we have a good team, eh?

That is a gross oversimplification.   I think Sylla's arrival made for a marked improvement in the team, he only played 11 games but of those 11 we won 6, drew 3 and lost 2 (to Liverpool and Chelsea) picking up 21 points, which is more than half of the points we managed to collect all season.   Call me an idiot if you want, but I'm prepared to show a bit of faith in the lads.

...Your no idiot.

I just think the improvement/development shown in the last third of the season is something we hope to take in to the new season...the improvement in form was having a knock on effect to individuals higher profile and non fancied players were becoming fancied by other clubs....we need to allow this improvement to flourish and see what competition the new recruits can add to the pot.

When a player like albrighton cancels his holidays to improve his own game, that tells you there is a wind of change taking place and a team spirit will be manifested that we could only dream off.

Nothing can be proved right now, because its all to come....we are really "work in progress" now, not just a synthetic work in progress like in the past.

Barry simply isn't that good any more, especially not considering the salary he would demand. If we want to calm the youngster's heads and better the team, let's hire a(nother) sports psychologist and channel the rest of the money towards Belhanda.

A regular in a side that has won the league and finished second in the last two seasons isn't 'good enough' to play for a team who finished 15th last season?

He had a choice between a very good contract here and the chance to gamble on potential Champions league qualification or an exceptional contract at a team who had a very good chance of winning the title, the Champions league and just about everything else during his time there, he went with the money and the medals after having spent 10 years here. In his position, it would have been hard not to chose Man City over us - he'd chosen us over Spurs when it would have been a good move and he'd chosen us over Portsmouth when it looked like that might be a good move (shudders) - I don't have a problem with him on that basis.

• Like 1

A regular in a side that has won the league and finished second in the last two seasons isn't 'good enough' to play for a team who finished 15th last season?

He's hardly a regular, though I agree he is definitely good enough to get in our midfield.

He's hardly a regular, though I agree he is definitely good enough to get in our midfield.

32 games is quite regular

31 in fact, 41 overall. Would say that is very regular tbh.

Edited by Woodytom

It's a bit like saying a woman leaves her boyfriend of the same age to marry an older millionaire.

Years later when the age difference kicks in she wants to come back.....it's called "having your cake and eating it"

He's made his move and we all know why and can understand it, without accepting it.

I think we have moved away from this now and moved on.

• Like 1

He pretty much has been a regular for them in the league.

It's a bit like saying a woman leaves her boyfriend of the same age to marry an older millionaire.

Years later when the age difference kicks in she wants to come back.....it's called "having your cake and eating it"

He's made his move and we all know why and can understand it, without accepting it.

I think we have moved away from this now and moved on.

Should we get rid of Gordon Cowans on the same basis?

Even though his game never has been too reliant on speed, the (admittedly few) times I watched him last season he came across as, well, sluggish. Not very suitable for the type of game our midfield develops, I think, and judged on (again, admittedly few viewings) his doings last season he's an a downward trajectory that his composure and ball handling isn't good enough to compensate for. IMHO, of course.

Gareth Barry had a straight choice. Sign a bumper new contract at Villa Park & try & help us secure Champions league status or swan off to money bags Manchester City on Mega Bucks & try & get them to do the same.

He chose Man City over us. His choice pure & simple. I have not forgotten, nor have many others.

There I rest my case

What case is that? That you need to get out more?  ;)

I think its clear he made the right decision.

The point I made was that we all know what that decision was, how it was reached & that it wasn't us.

Gareth Barry had a straight choice. Sign a bumper new contract at Villa Park & try & help us secure Champions league status or swan off to money bags Manchester City on Mega Bucks & try & get them to do the same.

He chose Man City over us. His choice pure & simple. I have not forgotten, nor have many others.

There I rest my case

The point I made was that we all know what that decision was, how it was reached & that it wasn't us.

So?

There I rest my case

So?

So hopefully you get the point?

I'm not saying you have to agree with it - you don't.

I just hope that it is a clear point, that is easily comprehended, with no room for misinterpretation.

So...................Hopefully that is now clear.

I meant towards the end of the season when the whole team were playing well. I think it kind of goes without saying that they weren't exciting when they were losing 8-0 but hey.

Well for me, that is just not enough proof they can hack it in this league just yet. I think a steady head next to them will just help them a long nicely.

Hack it in the league? The team survived for one. Also since January only lost to teams that were in the top 6. Didn't you take anything from those performances?

Comparing our performances from the start of the season the end it's obvious to see the improvement in the players not just individually but as a team.

I'm pretty open to an experienced player coming in as a midfielder not to play all season but to come in for certain games and act as the role model type player. But by god you should give some of our players some credit. Questioning that they aren't even good enough to hack it in the league even though they kept us up. Keep in mind more than half of them had no Premier League experience at the start of the season so were obviously in for a few shocks.

• Like 1

There I rest my case

So?

So hopefully you get the point?

I'm not saying you have to agree with it - you don't.

I just hope that it is a clear point, that is easily comprehended, with no room for misinterpretation.

So...................Hopefully that is now clear.

Hopefully what is clear? That you are bitter that a footballer transferred clubs?

Â