Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

His last big pay day won't be at VP thank you very much

I remember a while back that MM posted saying that Barry wanted to come back to villa at some point in his career. He also said he whilst it upset him that he understood the fans abuse of him and hoped it would change if he did come back.

I'm all for it, he was an excellent servant of the club and played with passion. He might be getting on a bit but in modern football that's not a huge issue, especially considering he'll be surrounded by a team of youngster more than willing to do the running! His passing is excellent and he will be the much needed experience and steady head that is missing in the centre of the team. 

Bring him home Lambert! 

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

No, I don`t see it happening at all and I don`t really want it either. Would just be infuriating to see him on his way down while playing here, big wages and all that. Sounds very familiar and I rather want us to continue with our midfield, especially Sylla as I think he can come real good.  

While I kinda see where you're coming from. It's all a lot more than that. Footballers have shorter careers so need to make the most while they can, and add to the fact that he left and won quite a few honors, so can we really blame him? He spent a hell of a lot of his career at this club and I would hazard to guess that he would love to end his career here.While I respect your opinion, if he wants to come back, I would have it all day.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

Was he stuck for a few quid ?

While I kinda see where you're coming from. It's all a lot more than that. Footballers have shorter careers so need to make the most while they can, and add to the fact that he left and won quite a few honors, so can we really blame him? He spent a hell of a lot of his career at this club and I would hazard to guess that he would love to end his career here.While I respect your opinion, if he wants to come back, I would have it all day.

I respect your opinion too so let's just agree to disagree on this one :)

And - To be fair, perhaps the mods would consider running a poll on this one to see just exactly how opinion is divided on this one?

Edited by villa-revolution

I respect your opinion too so let's just agree to disagree on this one :)

Fair do's, always good when a few can have a nice respectable discussion :)

100% serious.

Playing Barry would be a two year stop gap, nothing more.

You play him for two years, he inevitably gets worse while a younger player sits on the bench. We might win an extra game or two but what does that matter in the long run?

Players like Westward would benefit immensely from having Gareth Barry beside him and on the training ground. Young players need a mentor, somebody to learn off and somebody to turn too. Barry is not only a bloody good footballer that would fit into any system but a model professional. 

Bringing him back could be a master-stroke and im fully behind it.

The main thing that points towards this not happening IMO is that Barry's lack of pace might not suit our counter attacking style. Granted we played decent counter attacking fball with him in the side a few seasons ago, so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

Edited by LockStockVilla

The main thing that points towards this not happening IMO is that Barry's lack of pace might not suit our counter attacking style. Granted we played decent counter attacking fball with him in the side a few seasons ago, so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

We would play him as a deep or sitting midfielder. It would make us better.

Barry's also been linked with a £4m move to Spurs as a replacement for Parker. Even if Barry chooses us over Spurs, I really can't see Lambert paying £4m for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-linked-with-gareth-barry-bid-8656633.html

32 years old and no re sell value. Doesn't strike me as Levy signing. 

Plus Spurs are getting Paulinho.

No thanks.  I'm quite happy with Westwood and Sylla.

I'm not. Our midfield had rings run around it all of last season. Lets not pretend we have a good team, eh?

That is a gross oversimplification.   I think Sylla's arrival made for a marked improvement in the team, he only played 11 games but of those 11 we won 6, drew 3 and lost 2 (to Liverpool and Chelsea) picking up 21 points, which is more than half of the points we managed to collect all season.   Call me an idiot if you want, but I'm prepared to show a bit of faith in the lads. 

• Like 1

100% serious.

Playing Barry would be a two year stop gap, nothing more.

You play him for two years, he inevitably gets worse while a younger player sits on the bench. We might win an extra game or two but what does that matter in the long run?

Players like Westward would benefit immensely from having Gareth Barry beside him and on the training ground. Young players need a mentor, somebody to learn off and somebody to turn too. Barry is not only a bloody good footballer that would fit into any system but a model professional.

Bringing him back could be a master-stroke and im fully behind it.

Hopefully Westward knows his way already? ;)

And I disagree. It's not players like Westwood that would be a problem. Westwood would probably play beside him. It's the Delph's and Sylla's and Bacuna's and Gardner's and the Carruthers' that would suffer by playing Barry. You learn nothing sitting on the bench, watching others play.

Honestly, signing Barry would be a classic MON signing. I would have thought that we would learned from that now on.

Ask yourself, what would we gain two years down the line with Barry?

Win two or three more games during the course of a season? All for the purpose of what? Staying afloat while he gets worse.

• Like 1

Â