Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Delph is hardly likely to be fit for a season and Barry is far better than Westwood.

Bent was arguably better than Benteke at the start of the season and now look. I honestly couldn't care less if a at 32 years old and only getting worse is currently better than Westwood who is only getting better. It seems ridiculous to sign Barry and drop Westwood because of that. So much for developing a very promising player for a quick fix which wouldn't even result in achieving anything.

• Like 4

I don't think it's a case of signing one at the expense of the other. We require someone with a little bit of experience to nurture all the young talent that we have around. Barry would be able to provide that on the pitch in a deep lying midfield position... a role that was inadequately filled by Bannan last season.

You could comfortably afford to have Barry, Westwood, Delph, Sylla and Bacuna as your regular midfield selection. I believe that list is stronger with Barry in it and all of them will be stronger for the coming years if Barry were in it for a single year.

All that said, I doubt very very much that he will be coming back and 9 pages from a link in the Dailly Mirror is just crazy!

It feels a little like getting back in touch with the ex. I'm flirting with the idea, maybe we'll meet up and have a beer and a chat, see the lie of the land. But until there's something concrete I won't even entertain the idea of starting up again.

It's not that I think there's anything inherently wrong with going back if it feels right though she hurt me, a lot. We're both few years older, we've both experienced the new and we're moving on... But it was good, wasn't it?

On Gareth Barry the player, his style is one that is ageless to a degree. He's a player I can still see in the top flight at 37.

• Like 1

^^^ Exactly, he has never relied on pace and has if anything improved whilst at City. Anyone who would seriously turn him down must be mad.

Well not "exactly". If the manager thinks we need another player of his kind alongside Westwood and Barry appears to be the best available at the right price then yes, but there are if's and but's to consider.

^^^ Exactly, he has never relied on pace and has if anything improved whilst at City. Anyone who would seriously turn him down must be mad.

I do love comments like this. 

Whilst he never relied on his pace that doesn't mean as he gets less mobile it wont effect him, which it has.

He's just not right for us anymore anyway.

Sorry, but they were rather exciting last year and I wouldn't want to see all of that go to waste.

Taking into account the vast majority of the season, that is one delusional statement.

What was rather exciting about them being battered 8-0 and so on. The amount of times the midfield was overan was huge.

There was a reason the whole site (and the whole footballing world) was crying out for someone with a bit of experience in January and that was certainly not because it was rather exciting.

The last few months were better, but the degree to which some are confident that will definitely continue into this season is mind blowing really.

• Like 1

but the degree to which some are confident that will definitely continue into this season is mind blowing really.

Why shouldn't it carry on then? We've only strengthened the team. There is more chance that it will carry on than not,

Sorry, but they were rather exciting last year and I wouldn't want to see all of that go to waste.

Taking into account the vast majority of the season, that is one delusional statement.

What was rather exciting about them being battered 8-0 and so on. The amount of times the midfield was overan was huge.

And yet we were only 2 wins off the top 10

That's a bit selective really, as there were other times when they were really good.

but the degree to which some are confident that will definitely continue into this season is mind blowing really.

Why shouldn't it carry on then? We've only strengthened the team. There is more chance that it will carry on than not,

Have we strengthened the team for definite?

There is all sorts of reasons why it may not continue. Form of all football teams is unpredictable. If it was just a case that form carried on no matter what then Blackpool would still be in the premiership and we would have gone down last season.

That's a bit selective really, as there were other times when they were really good.

Would that be mentioned in the parts of my post that you for some reason did not quote?

Have we strengthened the team for definite?

Yes

This has pissed me off so much, it appears Villa fans have such short memories when it comes to Barry, was with us since he was a kid and **** us off for the first wad of cash that came along. Remember his comments about wanting Champions League football then expressing his desire to move to Liverpool despite the fact they had not qualified for the CL at the time? Unlike Milner, who never publicy said he wanted to leave, Barry's departure left a sour taste in the mouth (remember the reception he got when he first came back to VP?)

As well as this, I also don't think it will happen because Barry is now 32, over the hill and not really a Lambert type of signing. So thanks Gareth, but no thanks.

Â