Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

I posted yesterday in the player we must sign thread that it should be Gareth Barry. As I said yesterday I'd take him back in a heartbeat. What this squad clearly lacks is experience and leadership. Garteh Barry can provide both and is still easily good enough to walk inot our first 11. He never relied on any pace so is good for at least another 2-3 years at this level. He can bring back with him the experience of being a winner having won both the Prem and FA Cup, he has a load of International Caps and has played in major internatonal tournaments and Champs League. On top of all that he knows this club inside out.

He is perfect to be an inspiratinal figure and calming influence on the pitch bringing some much needed know how.

He would also jump at the chance to come back.

I am waiting for the thing that always seems to get trotted out in these circumstances when linked with an older player - "I wouldn't want Player X to come in, and stall the development of Player Y or Z".

I try not to get too sentimental about players, if we can get in someone better then I am happy for ANY of of team to be replaced, including Benteke and Guzan!

Gareth Barry would improve our team without a shadow of a doubt, and dare I say he would be the first midfielder on the team sheet!

I'd hazard a guess you haven't watched him play recently.

What a great point well made.

I am waiting for the thing that always seems to get trotted out in these circumstances when linked with an older player - "I wouldn't want Player X to come in, and stall the development of Player Y or Z".

I try not to get too sentimental about players, if we can get in someone better then I am happy for ANY of of team to be replaced, including Benteke and Guzan!

Gareth Barry would improve our team without a shadow of a doubt, and dare I say he would be the first midfielder on the team sheet!

Yes, I have seen him play thank you.

I apologise that I didn't put IMO at the end of my post, you clearly don't share the same opinion as myself.

So, he'd struggle to get into our side Stefan?

Just don't see the need to split up a 3 who have a great understanding for the sake of a bloke, who while obviously could still ply his trade at a high enough level, is past it to an extent. I'd much rather focus on the here and now, rather than go back.

I just think if he hadn't have played for us before, this link would be laughed off.

He would also jump at the chance to come back.

Ooh I'm not sure, he's got dogs abuse every time he's come back since. The first time he came back with City the level of hatred being hurled his way was incredible.

I apologise that I didn't put IMO at the end of my post, you clearly don't share the same opinion as myself.

Just don't see the need to split up a 3 who have a great understanding for the sake of a bloke, who while obviously could still ply his trade at a high enough level, is past it to an extent. I'd much rather focus on the here and now, rather than go back.

I just think if he hadn't have played for us before, this link would be laughed off.

That's a fair point Stefan, and much better than the patronising one from the post before.

I still believe that we should have the strongest team available to us, and if Barry were to re-join and be part of that best eleven, then it should be so.

I wouldn't take him back, He's 32 now and Irrespective of his wages, I just don't think he's that good anymore. Besides he's not a Lambert type of signing anyway. Rather have Luke Murphy from Crewe. 

I'd have Petrov in this years team if I could and he is 33. I would certainly take a 32 year old Barry as captain and leader of the revolution.

The difference is we didn't sign Petrov when he was 32.

We signed Barry when he was a teenager.

We might sign him again (although unlikely) as a player who can come in and replace the influential Petrov.

The point is not how old the player is when we signed him, but how last season Petrov would have been perfect, this season too.

Just don't see the need to split up a 3 who have a great understanding for the sake of a bloke, who while obviously could still ply his trade at a high enough level, is past it to an extent. I'd much rather focus on the here and now, rather than go back.

That's a fair point Stefan, and much better than the patronising one from the post before.

I still believe that we should have the strongest team available to us, and if Barry were to re-join and be part of that best eleven, then it should be so.

Fair play and I apologise for the perceived patronising tone. I see your point, but who would he displace? Different player to Delph and Sylla and would he get in ahead of Westwood at the moment? Would be extremely harsh to drop our best midfielder from last season.

It's hard enough trying to off load the Barry that we already have let alone getting another one in.

Gareth Barry (Fat Boy) is slower than a snail. Paul Lambert requires energy in midfield & `The Snail` is not going to provide that.

Don't get me wrong because in my opinion Fat Boy has been England's best if not only decent player in the past 10 years at International level. Easily better than Lampard & Gerrard. Fat Boy is the only English player capable of getting the ball & keeping it. The rest (Rooney included) are at times a total embarrassment.

Is Barry better than Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard at Premier League level? No! Not by a country mile.

There are younger & better players out there now than fat boy & I'm certain Lambo will reveal "That player" that we all crave in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your efforts whilst previously at Villa Park Fat Boy  but to sum up as far as a return goes - No Fat Boy - No! No! No!

I reiterate the point Lambert made.

"The experience/old head everyone craves will be gained with us"

that's what he said.

Its no good going back and trying to "reinvent the wheel"...What some people want on here ..The Manager doesn't.

It is a nice thought but he would have no sell on value and Manchester City would need to pay some of his wages and ask a minimal fee to make this happen but given the way they did us on the Milner deal it is the very least they should do as they owe us big time for that one!

It's hard enough trying to off load the Barry that we already have let alone getting another one in.

Gareth Barry (Fat Boy) is slower than a snail. Paul Lambert requires energy in midfield & `The Snail` is not going to provide that.

Don't get me wrong because in my opinion Fat Boy has been England's best if not only decent player in the past 10 years at International level. Easily better than Lampard & Gerrard. Fat Boy is the only English player capable of getting the ball & keeping it. The rest (Rooney included) are at times a total embarrassment.

Is Barry better than Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard at Premier League level? No! Not by a country mile.

There are younger & better players out there now than fat boy & I'm certain Lambo will reveal "That player" that we all crave in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your efforts whilst previously at Villa Park Fat Boy  but to sum up as far as a return goes - No Fat Boy - No! No! No!

Personally I don't think "That Player" exists in Lamberts mind...its just what I think.

If he was with one of the worlds biggest clubs " That Player" may exist, but he's not, he's got a plan/blueprint and I think he's going to stick to it....unless something daft happens for him to change his mind.

His distribution in the mid of the park would indeed be an quality we need ...his pace has gone although was it ever there ....for such a great servant at VP we never gave him his testimonial we booed him in his first games against villa why would he come back ?

1) This will never happen

2) There's nothing to be gained while playing Barry. He will take up someone's development and honestly just doesn't fit in with the other players at all.

Yes, the easy thing to do would be to say sign him up, he's a good player that plays for City.

But I guess a lot of people on here really haven't learned from the mistakes of the past.

Old player on the decline on high wages cast off from a higher team.

That worked out so well in the past

• Like 4

100% serious.

Playing Barry would be a two year stop gap, nothing more.

You play him for two years, he inevitably gets worse while a younger player sits on the bench. We might win an extra game or two but what does that matter in the long run?

Edited by Kwan

Personally I don't think "That Player" exists in Lamberts mind...its just what I think.

If he was with one of the worlds biggest clubs " That Player" may exist, but he's not, he's got a plan/blueprint and I think he's going to stick to it....unless something daft happens for him to change his mind.

TRO - `That Player` does exist. our one big Marquee signing of the Summer & Lambo wil swoop to sign him soon. 

Wait till all the issues surrounding the dead beats & the deadwood are resolved & see if it doesn't happen.

One thing's for certain, it won't be Fat Boy (slim)

Â