Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

The main thing that points towards this not happening IMO is that Barry's lack of pace might not suit our counter attacking style. Granted we played decent counter attacking fball with him in the side a few seasons ago, so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

We would play him as a deep or sitting midfielder. It would make us better.

Who would you drop? out of interest

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

His last big pay day won't be at VP thank you very much

Whilst I'm not sure Barry would be the right person for the team now, I don't get the bitterness. Garry Barry spent years at Villa and was paid naturally paid handsomely.

Another employer offered him more money and the chance to win things in his career....would anyone else turn that down?

If he was playing shit, us 'loyal' fans would want him sold mid contract, so what's the difference when playing well that, after many years of service, he should want trophies and CL football?

Edited by StanBalaban

Barry's also been linked with a £4m move to Spurs as a replacement for Parker. Even if Barry chooses us over Spurs, I really can't see Lambert paying £4m for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-linked-with-gareth-barry-bid-8656633.html

It was widely reported that his wife was unhappy about leaving Sutton since she and their children were settled. Im pretty sure he would choose us over Spurs. Im also pretty sure that Gareth himself would like finishing his career with us. 

£4m?

Drop in the ocean when you consider what it brings to the squad and team.

No thanks. I'm quite happy with Westwood and Sylla.

I'm not. Our midfield had rings run around it all of last season. Lets not pretend we have a good team, eh?

That is a gross oversimplification. I think Sylla's arrival made for a marked improvement in the team, he only played 11 games but of those 11 we won 6, drew 3 and lost 2 (to Liverpool and Chelsea) picking up 21 points, which is more than half of the points we managed to collect all season. Call me an idiot if you want, but I'm prepared to show a bit of faith in the lads.

Agree with Rev. Sylla improved the midfield and brought to it tenacity and a mean tackle. If you say he had rings run round him ill refer you to the Chelsea match, especially before Bentekes sending off. He was running the middle of the park that day.

The main thing that points towards this not happening IMO is that Barry's lack of pace might not suit our counter attacking style. Granted we played decent counter attacking fball with him in the side a few seasons ago, so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

We would play him as a deep or sitting midfielder. It would make us better.

Who would you drop? out of interest

Bannan :D

Nah, i would go with Westward/Barry/Delph, but thats just my personal opinion.

That depends if your glass is half full or half empty

The last 3 seasons the reason why yours is half full then?

you didn't post much on this site last season did you.

Yes please please please. Gaz Baz loves Villa and would be an amazing mentor to Westwood. If the wages aren't outrageous then make it happen Lambert!

Baz loves the Villa? Loved the money more at Citeh though don't you think? - or so it would appear.

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

I disagree

He's won the FA Cup and Premier League since leaving us whilst we've generally flirted with relegation.

I was also gutted when he left but this is churlish at best

Then who plays the Sylla role? We can't have 2 DLP, we won't get anywhere :P

With a whole pre season, he is going to be a beast...

I think the same could be said about a few others, including El Ahmadi whom found the adjustment difficult.

Really unfair comparison because Sylla has already come in and looked good whereas KEA has done nothing to suggest that he will.

Edited by StefanAVFC

But Sylla has show

I think the same could be said about a few others, including El Ahmadi whom found the adjustment difficult.

El Ahamadi is a poor example really, he was unproved in the Premier League and never really adapted.   Sylla has been excellent since he made his debut in February, I've got high hopes for him next season.  If he picks up from where he left off then I think he could be a genuine shout for player of the year in 2013/14. 

Have no resentment towards him, but I don't want him back. He didn't play that well last year and his lack of pace is really starting to tell. We are a young, mobile and quick team and the club has a new ethos and Barry doesn't fall into any of that. No thanks.

• Like 1

Then who plays the Sylla role? We can't have 2 DLP, we won't get anywhere :P

Really unfair comparison because Sylla has already come in and looked good whereas KEA has done nothing to suggest that he will.

Its all about opinions, but some players find it more difficult in adjusting than others. I think this coming season will be the time to judge KEA.

I

I wouldn't take him back, He's 32 now and Irrespective of his wages, I just don't think he's that good anymore. Besides he's not a Lambert type of signing anyway. Rather have Luke Murphy from Crewe. 

Do you think Luke Murphy will be more equipped for the premiership next season than Gareth Barry?

Yes, Barry's in decline.  Murphy is way to good for league one and If Lowton and Westwood can make the step up there's no reason why Murphy can't.

My point is that Luke Murphy is another risk. Every signing is a risk so far - Barry wouldnt be a risk. He would be a steady eddy that we so badly needed last season and we are still seemingly reluctant to add to the squad.

Lowton and Westwood both improved over the season. Their best form was at the back end of the season. I really do feel we need a player who can slot in for a season or 2 and not need time to adapt to the league, just to add a bit of experience.

I think Barry would be ideal for that.

But Sylla has show

Sylla has been excellent since he made his debut in February, I've got high hopes for him next season.  If he picks up from where he left off then I think he could be a genuine shout for player of the year in 2013/14. 

I agree.

Look GazBaz did very well for us, he left under a bit of a cloud, but that was a different era. There is no way we could afford his wages, and Lambert has not once bought a player over 30 since he has been at Villa. Not going to happen. He if he did leave Citeh Spurs or Liverplop would be far more likely for him.

The team started to look exciting toward the end of the season, 6 wins from 11 and only 2 defeats with Sylla in the team. We've signed some more exciting, young attacking talent.

Why would we want to change that to gain, the most overrated word used in football, experience and in a player who has very much seen his best days & struggled last season?

Stop kidding yourself that he left for money. He has gone on to win major honours and his decision totally justified.

Don't be so naive. He left for the money 1st & the honours 2nd.

I disagree

He's won the FA Cup and Premier League since leaving us whilst we've generally flirted with relegation.

I was also gutted when he left but this is churlish at best

When you say you were also gutted when he left I hope your not including me in that remark because I was happy to see the back of him. Great International player, average premier League player who is a carthorse. Yes, he has his medals, but I think you'll find he has an even bigger bank balance.

Am I unhappy about that? No. If he can earn good money then good luck to him. However, don't insult my intelligence by claiming your main reason for leaving is to win medals.

Sorry! I'm not buying into that.

Also, anybody who doesn't want to stay & play for the club I love & support can clear off as far as I am concerned.

Let me put it this way, to you & anybody else visiting this site

Would you change your allegiance to follow Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc etc to see them win trophies?

I think you all know what my answer will be!

Barry's also been linked with a £4m move to Spurs as a replacement for Parker. Even if Barry chooses us over Spurs, I really can't see Lambert paying £4m for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-linked-with-gareth-barry-bid-8656633.html

It was widely reported that his wife was unhappy about leaving Sutton since she and their children were settled. Im pretty sure he would choose us over Spurs. Im also pretty sure that Gareth himself would like finishing his career with us. 

£4m?

Drop in the ocean when you consider what it brings to the squad and team.

Sutton? GB lived in Ullenhall for the last 2 years of his Villa career. 

Whilst I still think he could do a job for us, I'm not convinced PL would be interested in him. He's still a very good player and although I was disappointed that he left us, I would be happy to see him back.

Can't see it myself, but he'd be a fine addition I think. Knows the club, experienced pro, can control a game from the middle and could pass a lot on to the young guys.

Wouldn't be offering him a last payday though. 30k p/w for 2 years max... He owes us for that Liverpool nonsense

Â